Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Biggest Sell-out Band of all time

Listen when a band takes the big money deal(which is after all what they are in it for) they lose all control of what they are going to sound like. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the band. Their ass belongs to the man with the cash.

Yes, I know. Its even worse when the big label buys the little label to catch the band they want. All the other bands on the label are then fvcked. A lot of bands do however form their own label for this very fact. Why let a record label make money by selling up when its the band they are selling not the label.

But you acknowledge bands do 'sell out' for the big money deal. Hence the thread. Nothing against the bands that do but we can still discuss them and express our disappointment of the 'sell out'.

Thanks Hairy, was gonna reply to HH, but you pretty much summed it up. (RHCP was a good call by the way)

And you don't NEED to sell-out to be successful - look at Radiohead, who pretty much do what they like and yet are a global known band.

Some people just love their music and don't care about the money.

Thanks Hairy, was gonna reply to HH, but you pretty much summed it up. (RHCP was a good call by the way)

And you don't NEED to sell-out to be successful - look at Radiohead, who pretty much do what they like and yet are a global known band.

Some people just love their music and don't care about the money.

Yeh look at Radiohead!

Until 2007 never been signed to a small label so no need to sell out and therefore no need to sign over their artistic license.

They started at a big label so it was almost impossible for them to sell out. The only way Capitol could keep them was to let them do their own thing.

They've actually done the opposite and gone to a small label so they have even more control over their recordings hence the free download.

When you're at a big label and your first album is a success you basically got em by the bollox.

Not sure how many of you on here are into Fall Out Boy, but they are a prime example of a band "selling out".

Take This To Your Grave was one of my favourite albums a few years back, but ever since then, their albums have continued to get weaker and weaker, their style watered down, seemingly in line with appealing to greater audiences such as Radio 1 listeners.

I do take the point that they obviously want to be successful and make some money out of their endeavours, but when that comes hand in hand with poor musical releases, its a little disappointing to be honest.

Rage Against The Machine...really raging against the machine whilst signed to one of the biggest corporate record companies in the world. :D

Agreed.

"Yeah, we're reforming to purge America from this tyrannous political oppression which consumes our lives... oh, and Zack's bank balance isn't looking too great..." :unsure:

I do like their stuff, and they were great live at Leeds, but I doubt anyone can take them seriously as a political entity after the way they reformed.

trivium

first two albums were actually quite good (ember to inferno, acsendancy) then they completely changed to a more 'mainstream' style, completely changed their genre and the vocalist tried to impersonate james hetfield, riff stealing and the like, they didn't change label or anything, they just wanted the money

f**kers, all of em

I generally stopped buying into the whole "wah wah sell outs blah blah" shit when I was about fifteen so I've not much to contribute.

But I will say the like of Green Day being labeled as punk actually offends my senses. Anti-Flag and AFI are further great examples of brilliant punk bands adopting more teen-friendly styles to keep making silly amounts of money, however much it alienates their original fans.

And don't even get me started on Jerry Only.

Matt Heafy is such a douche.

people were giving him the willy puller sign when i went to see them (supporting slayer, amon amarth and mastodon) at the apollo and he said in a really camp american accent (when i say camp i mean CAMP!) 'i see alot of people out there offering me free handjobs HAHAHAHAHAHA'

what a ****, he then to save face smashed his guitar (original) and gave bits out in the audience, someone threw a bit back at him and he legged it offstage

Archived