Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lamby

What gigs are you going?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Springsteen at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday.

At 74 he turned it on for three hours in non stop squally rain. 

I saw him at Cardiff a few weeks ago and I thought that night would be hard to beat but Wednesday was at least on par. 

It’s looking like he just used last year’s dates as a post Covid warm up for this year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 17:45, Livid said:

Went to Springsteen at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday.

At 74 he turned it on for three hours in non stop squally rain. 

I saw him at Cardiff a few weeks ago and I thought that night would be hard to beat but Wednesday was at least on par. 

It’s looking like he just used last year’s dates as a post Covid warm up for this year. 

Not my thing at all but love to hear this sort of stuff.  🤝

Edited by Filbert_Ross
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Saw Liam Gallagher in Sheffield.

Opening night of the Definately Maybe tour....which was the only reason I went, only really like the first 2 oasis albums.

It was a great night, you know its going to be good when the crowd are in full voice singing to the songs over the speakers before the gigs even started....even had a smoke flare set off.

Songs like cigarettes and alcohol,, slide away, live forever amongst others were goosebump moments, the whole crowd singing along so loud...probably the loudest I've heard at a gig.

And it was awesome to see everyone on their feet from the very start, even in the cheap seats..if they're were any.

p.s. Just read a review in my paper, very rare they post reviews of gigs and this was a big review lauding over it, so glad i went now lol.

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

A bit off topic but need to rant a little about sheffields inefficiency in dealing with fans at gigs.

I've been to many different venues through the years but sheffield has to be one of the least efficient when it comes to the fans.

To have fans walking from concourses down the aisles to access the floor seems really odd. This created blocked aisles constantly, including during the support acts. Thankfully during the main act they stopped people going up and down (for the most part anyway).

To make the situation worse they sold bottles at the bars but they werent allowed on the floor (fair enough) but this meant everyone walking down the aisle with a bottle had to have a staff member get a plastic cup and poor the drink in. This took time with just one person and there were 100's doing it constantly. Then quite often the person with a bottle would decided to go back up the aisle to finish the drink creating even more issues with blocked aisles.. Adding to this the same staff members would take your whole ticket from you meaning if you wanted to leave the floor to go to the the toilet or bar you would have to find a staff member to give you back a ticket so you could leave, and then on your return they would take the ticket away again.

I understand they dont want fans on the floor without a valid standing ticket but why not rip the perforated bit off and then let them use the other part to access the floor?...or just give them a seperate entrance like they do in other venues.

And they always say you can ask for a ticket at the end to keep as a memento if you wish...yet the women near me went out of her way  not to which cause fans to get angry and if was thanks to another member of staff who eventually handed a few out.

These staff members are there to help the fans, to make sure they are safe and enjoying the night, so many seem to only be interested in lauding their authority over people, much like football stewards, who seem intent in ruining peoples night rather than enhancing it.  Thats not to say there are plenty of brilliant staff working for these venues, but some of them really shouldn't be working there.

I've figured out now that buying tickets for certain blocks is a must if you don't want to experience this sort of thing.

I really like going to sheffield but they really need to change thier venue policies, it would cause a lot less hassle for the fans and the staff.

Edited by purpleronnie

On 04/06/2024 at 13:51, purpleronnie said:

A bit off topic but need to rant a little about sheffields inefficiency in dealing with fans at gigs.

I've been to many different venues through the years but sheffield has to be one of the least efficient when it comes to the fans.

To have fans walking from concourses down the aisles to access the floor seems really odd. This created blocked aisles constantly, including during the support acts. Thankfully during the main act they stopped people going up and down (for the most part anyway).

To make the situation worse they sold bottles at the bars but they werent allowed on the floor (fair enough) but this meant everyone walking down the aisle with a bottle had to have a staff member get a plastic cup and poor the drink in. This took time with just one person and there were 100's doing it constantly. Then quite often the person with a bottle would decided to go back up the aisle to finish the drink creating even more issues with blocked aisles.. Adding to this the same staff members would take your whole ticket from you meaning if you wanted to leave the floor to go to the the toilet or bar you would have to find a staff member to give you back a ticket so you could leave, and then on your return they would take the ticket away again.

I understand they dont want fans on the floor without a valid standing ticket but why not rip the perforated bit off and then let them use the other part to access the floor?...or just give them a seperate entrance like they do in other venues.

And they always say you can ask for a ticket at the end to keep as a memento if you wish...yet the women near me went out of her way  not to which cause fans to get angry and if was thanks to another member of staff who eventually handed a few out.

These staff members are there to help the fans, to make sure they are safe and enjoying the night, so many seem to only be interested in lauding their authority over people, much like football stewards, who seem intent in ruining peoples night rather than enhancing it.  Thats not to say there are plenty of brilliant staff working for these venues, but some of them really shouldn't be working there.

I've figured out now that buying tickets for certain blocks is a must if you don't want to experience this sort of thing.

I really like going to sheffield but they really need to change thier venue policies, it would cause a lot less hassle for the fans and the staff.

You say 'Sheffield' is that every venue in Sheffield 🤔? I went to see Pulp at the Sheffield Arena and you could buy plastic bottles of Carling in the standing section.

5 minutes ago, Andy11111 said:

You say 'Sheffield' is that every venue in Sheffield 🤔? I went to see Pulp at the Sheffield Arena and you could buy plastic bottles of Carling in the standing section.

I was at that gig too, yes they do have beer at the sides of the standing sections but people were buying the drinks (inc bottles) from the concourse and walking down onto the standing area.

9 hours ago, Libertine said:

Great time in Brum seeing Weezer and Pumpkins tonight. Sound was a bit off for the first half of Weezer’s set I thought but great show overall.

Yeah went too, SP we're ok but Weezer pissed all over them, not something I was expecting.

8 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Do people go to Gigs by themselves? Really desperate to see The Hunna in July at 02 academy but as midweek, I’ll probably be going by myself. 

Been by myself loads of times.  Why miss out because you cant find someone to go with?  Just went to sheffield stayed over night, had a great time, gig was brilliant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Been by myself loads of times.  Why miss out because you cant find someone to go with?  Just went to sheffield stayed over night, had a great time, gig was brilliant.

Totally agree, I went to see Ice Cube in Nottingham in December 😀 why miss out. If you're in a standing section with a few thousand others who cares.

• Like 2

Off to see the foo fighters this Saturday in Manchester although I'm taking my daughter, we saw smashing pumpkins Friday now the foo fighters on Saturday, I'll have to admit it's not as cheap as it was back in the 90's, paid a tenner to see the foos back in 1997, about £85 now, and I bet I won't get nowhere near as close as back then 😁😁

5 minutes ago, Andy11111 said:

Off to see the foo fighters this Saturday in Manchester although I'm taking my daughter, we saw smashing pumpkins Friday now the foo fighters on Saturday, I'll have to admit it's not as cheap as it was back in the 90's, paid a tenner to see the foos back in 1997, about £85 now, and I bet I won't get nowhere near as close as back then 😁😁

We seem to be on the same gig schedule. lol I paid £700 for the hotel package though... :nigel:

59 minutes ago, Libertine said:

We seem to be on the same gig schedule. lol I paid £700 for the hotel package though... :nigel:

Sod that, didn't even want to go really, only went for my daughter, seen them enough times before 😂😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, westernpark said:

Do people go to Gigs by themselves? Really desperate to see The Hunna in July at 02 academy but as midweek, I’ll probably be going by myself. 

I go to gigs by myself a lot … I’d like to say it’s because I have strange tastes in music it’s more likely I have no friends 

49 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

Foo fighters last night in Manchester were fantastic as usual

Rubbish set list, boring crowd, it was meant to be a rock gig, although lets face it foo fighters aren't the band they used to be.

1 hour ago, Andy11111 said:

Rubbish set list, boring crowd, it was meant to be a rock gig, although lets face it foo fighters aren't the band they used to be.

I thought that musically they were excellent but agree that the crowd were so boring, although me and my mates had our own little party going on. 

• Like 1