Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Resident Evil 5

Not bn on it yet mate, gonna give it a blast in a minute i reckon.

How longs the demo?

You get two areas to try out. Both are fairly lengthy.

You can go through it co-op online or offline as well if you want.

My only concern with the game, and I'm picking at straws here, is that there seems to be an over-reliance on team play.

In RE4, the team sections tended to frustrate. I hope this doesn't happen with this one too much.

This doesn't sound that promising...

For those new to the series, Resident Evil 5 may not be what you expect. It's neither scary nor survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. Ultimately, it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone, and brains.

For this reason, it'll annoy me.

It looks as if they've tried to force a multiplayer element into it by making it co-op. I tried the online co-op. Damn annoying when I was in another building to the other guy and he had all the ammo. Duly ran out and died.

This is going to ruin it for me.

And what happened to survival horror?

When's Dead Space 2 out?

This doesn't sound that promising...

For those new to the series, Resident Evil 5 may not be what you expect. It's neither scary nor survival horror, and though its story throws plenty of love to longtime fans, you don't need to be one to enjoy it. Ultimately, it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone, and brains.

For this reason, it'll annoy me.

It looks as if they've tried to force a multiplayer element into it by making it co-op. I tried the online co-op. Damn annoying when I was in another building to the other guy and he had all the ammo. Duly ran out and died.

This is going to ruin it for me.

And what happened to survival horror?

When's Dead Space 2 out?

Totally agree with you mate.

Its a survival horror, not an action shooter type game - its not proper Resi, and for that reason alone, im out.

duncan-bannatyne.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, judging from how Street Fighter IV turned out (from the initial "oooh, gosh - look at the graphics" to "**ç%!!! What the *bleep* is all this shitty gameplay all about?"), I seriously hope Capcom for once deliver a real quality game and not just another overhyped piece of crap.

Otherwise, it's going to be the last game ever played for Alexei.

One more week to go.

Oh, and shopto.net has it as low as £32.95 - "lowest prices online".

I have pre-ordered a copy through Amazon for £29.56. lol

I played it today for abit, (full game) and love it. Like GLC said though when you run out of ammo your screwed.

Ive not got very far atm, but with time and patience and maybe a few cheat codes i might complete it. lol

And all of this one week prior to its official release? :whistle:

And all of this one week prior to its official release? :whistle:

:thumbup: Flashing is the way forward. Unfortunatley for me i need to flash again next week with an updated firmware as games like Hawx which ive got but cant play have had a new wave of data to stop this sort of thing. Problem has been fixed though.

:thumbup: Flashing is the way forward. Unfortunatley for me i need to flash again next week with an updated firmware as games like Hawx which ive got but cant play have had a new wave of data to stop this sort of thing. Problem has been fixed though.

aye,the buggers have a new firmware update in the video partition of the 360disk,which wont pass any stealth checks with ixtreme firmware upgraded consoles

lucky for me,i dont play online and only have the xtreme firmware so no reflash needed

you can run hawx without the latest 1.6 firmware i think,as it can be booted with iX1.5,but you have to mess with it first using xmulleter, but not really looked into it,as i dont need to :)

Got the game a couple of days ago (full version),not took a look yet,but the game looks good

Yet another reason not to bother with this...

"The real problem lies with RE5's focus. Played with two people it's a delight, showing the world that co-op in campaign modes is becoming a necessity in any game that can incorporate it. Even played on the same console, with the most hideous splitting of the screen we've ever seen, it works. Unfortunately, a vast array of individuals will play this as a lone wolf and, to be honest, done this way it can be aggravating. Sheva is simply not competent enough, and her irregular bouts of hopelessness transform a sublime portion into a testing run."

They took what was arguably the worst part of RE4 (if there were any!), the co-op parts, where you had to keep the girl alive, and made that the main-stay of this game.

Mistake. Big mistake.

I'm not getting this now. Not at least until it's about £20.

Real shame they cocked this up with a load of crappy co-op.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this much more than Street Fighter IV, which has left me frustrated way too often. Although I must say it takes some time to get used to the RE controls (it feels a bit stiff) and the first encounter with the zombies was slightly overwhelming - there's just so many of them! Not to forget that huge executioner with the axe... Freaky.

I've gotten into it now and I'd say it's as good as the first few versions.

It's got the atmosphere, that's for sure.

I'm enjoying this much more than Street Fighter IV, which has left me frustrated way too often. Although I must say it takes some time to get used to the RE controls (it feels a bit stiff) and the first encounter with the zombies was slightly overwhelming - there's just so many of them! Not to forget that huge executioner with the axe... Freaky.

I've gotten into it now and I'd say it's as good as the first few versions.

It's got the atmosphere, that's for sure.

I am seriously considering getting this. Really tempted.

I am seriously considering getting this. Really tempted.

Let me tempt you away from it (for now)...

70% Teletext GameCentral

An unsatisfying facsimile of Resident Evil 4 with none of the style or excitement, just more bugbears.

70% Gamer.nl

Resident Evil 5 starts with bang. An original setting and zombies that are just waiting to get shot are a perfect start. But a soon as your surroundings changes from a beautiful African landscape to dark and boring industrial complex, the gameplay turns a bit sour and transforms into a standard action game. An action game with the limitations of the horror genre. Resident Evil fans are probably dying to know how the story unfolds, but gamers with little knowledge of the previous games will find it nothing more than an average action game.

60% G4 TV

Resident Evil 5 is mired in poor design decisions that drag down the experience and render single-player campaign a tedious exercise in working around the game. It’s frustrating to see a game that I so looked forward to playing and carried with it such potential, sabotage itself in so many ways. Compared against the ambition of games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Assassin’s Creed; Resident Evil 5 seems timid, unwilling to move out of its comfort zone. It’s a shame.

I have a feeling that if this title did not share the 'Resident Evil' name, it would have faired similar in almost every other review. The fact that it is Resi Evil - saves it.

Feels like deja vu - Far Cry 2?

Let me tempt you away from it (for now)...

70% Teletext GameCentral

An unsatisfying facsimile of Resident Evil 4 with none of the style or excitement, just more bugbears.

70% Gamer.nl

Resident Evil 5 starts with bang. An original setting and zombies that are just waiting to get shot are a perfect start. But a soon as your surroundings changes from a beautiful African landscape to dark and boring industrial complex, the gameplay turns a bit sour and transforms into a standard action game. An action game with the limitations of the horror genre. Resident Evil fans are probably dying to know how the story unfolds, but gamers with little knowledge of the previous games will find it nothing more than an average action game.

60% G4 TV

Resident Evil 5 is mired in poor design decisions that drag down the experience and render single-player campaign a tedious exercise in working around the game. It’s frustrating to see a game that I so looked forward to playing and carried with it such potential, sabotage itself in so many ways. Compared against the ambition of games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Assassin’s Creed; Resident Evil 5 seems timid, unwilling to move out of its comfort zone. It’s a shame.

I have a feeling that if this title did not share the 'Resident Evil' name, it would have faired similar in almost every other review. The fact that it is Resi Evil - saves it.

Feels like deja vu - Far Cry 2?

Too late - just ordered it off ShopTo lol lol lol

... game reviews...

Have you played it?

Look, Street Fighter IV got rave reviews even before it came out - mainly thanks to the Capcom marketing machinery and some die-hard SF fans. BUT... It's not THAT good, actually. Just have a look at the FT thread on here again. The hours of frustration involved are beyond belief.

Now, as for Resident Evil 5, a few hours into the game, I can indeed confirm that there's less puzzle elements. BUT... It's not as bad as some game magazines are making it. You get used to the controls with time, the atmosphere is great, the CG sequences blend in nicely and it's challenging in terms of how you deal with weapons and ammunition (much like Fallout 3). There's also tons to see.

BUT... I have never played Resident Evil 4, so maybe there's really not enough difference to its predecessor.

As for more positive reviews, how about an 8.5 on Gamespot or 80 to 87 percent on GameFaqs?

Have you played it?

Look, Street Fighter IV got rave reviews even before it came out - mainly thanks to the Capcom marketing machinery and some die-hard SF fans. BUT... It's not THAT good, actually. Just have a look at the FT thread on here again. The hours of frustration involved are beyond belief.

Now, as for Resident Evil 5, a few hours into the game, I can indeed confirm that there's less puzzle elements. BUT... It's not as bad as some game magazines are making it. You get used to the controls with time, the atmosphere is great, the CG sequences blend in nicely and it's challenging in terms of how you deal with weapons and ammunition (much like Fallout 3). There's also tons to see.

BUT... I have never played Resident Evil 4, so maybe there's really not enough difference to its predecessor.

As for more positive reviews, how about an 8.5 on Gamespot or 80 to 87 percent on GameFaqs?

SF4 is a good game - the fact that it is frustrating is what it's all about. It was 15 years ago, it is today. Having said that, there's no denying that the game has not progressed since that time as well.

As for Resi Evil 5, RE4 is one of the greatest of all time, and this current version does not represent a progression - it's a sideways jump or worse. I'm not complaining about the controls either, that's not the problem. Rather than stick with something tried and tested in an attempt to better one of the greatest games of all time they should have gone further with the idea. Bottled it though.

The fact that one of the lead designers of 4 was not involved in 5 speaks for itself.

You really should play resi evil 4 though - fantastic game - absolutely brilliant.

For 5, they should have re-released 4 with better graphics and, possibly, a better control system :thumbup:

Archived