Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

Powerpoint.

I have got to do a presentation on Friday and it is requested I do it in Powerpoint (I am used to old school flip charts). Now I am a somewhat of a n00b when it comes to this, anyone a genius, if so do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance.

I think the rules are much the same as with a flip chart.

Don't have too much on a page.

Remember what's on the chart is generally only an aide memoir, e.g bullet points, and not there for you to recite.

Don't go over the top with the page change graphics like curtains, keep the colours simple, keep the general gimmickry to a minimum, avoid overly dark fussy backgrounds.

KISS - Keep it simply stupid.

Don't talk down to them, match their level of understanding, remember your the expert - hopefully

Introduce yourself, tell them what's coming, when they can ask questions, then tell them what you came to say, any conclusions, check for understanding/questions, Summary.

Well along those lines anyway.

I think the rules are much the same as with a flip chart.

Don't have too much on a page.

Remember what's on the chart is generally only an aide memoir, e.g bullet points, and not there for you to recite.

Don't go over the top with the page change graphics like curtains, keep the colours simple, keep the general gimmickry to a minimum, avoid overly dark fussy backgrounds.

KISS - Keep it simply stupid.

Don't talk down to them, match their level of understanding, remember your the expert - hopefully

Introduce yourself, tell them what's coming, when they can ask questions, then tell them what you came to say, any conclusions, check for understanding/questions, Summary.

Well along those lines anyway.

Thanks.

Yes was thinking, I didn't want to overload it with cheesy clip-art. I am assuming with each bullet point I will have to create a new slide, which could end up being quite a lot of slides used. :dunno:

Cheers will have a look through those shortly.

Thanks.

Yes was thinking, I didn't want to overload it with cheesy clip-art. I am assuming with each bullet point I will have to create a new slide, which could end up being quite a lot of slides used. :dunno:

Cheers will have a look through those shortly.

I would have thought 5 to 7 bullet points would be ok depending on the size of font which would depend on how you're displaying it and how near/big the audience is. Naturally there should be some synergy between the bullet points, think of it like chapters in a book.

For example your 1st page might have, depending on your relationship with your audience.

Welcome

Introduction (yourself that is)

Timescales

Agenda / Contents

Conclusion

When you want questions

Summary

Your 2nd page might just be:

Aim / Objective of the presentation.

It's not something that is cast in stone though, most of all you need to feel comfortable with it.

I would have thought 5 to 7 bullet points would be ok depending on the size of font which would depend on how you're displaying it and how near/big the audience is. Naturally there should be some synergy between the bullet points, think of it like chapters in a book.

For example your 1st page might have, depending on your relationship with your audience.

Welcome

Introduction (yourself that is)

Timescales

Agenda / Contents

Conclusion

When you want questions

Summary

Your 2nd page might just be:

Aim / Objective of the presentation.

It's not something that is cast in stone though, most of all you need to feel comfortable with it.

Appreciated thanks.

Don't read the slide to the audience, no one enjoys that.

Don't put daft sound effects on, only children find entertainment in it.

Be careful with colour selection.

Use consistent font and animation.

:thumbup:

Thanks, its actually for interview, got to be 10 minutes long. I have done the content, it's just getting the content onto Powerpoint and giving it the 'wow factor' so to speak.

Make frequent eye contact and maybe put in the Odd joke.

Make Cue cards - important stuff on it.

And if you are going to give out leaflets etc either make sure everyone has one and put them face down on the table.

Or hand them out at the end, so people do not get distracted,

Archived