Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

Final Fantasy XIII

Fairly sure I read that was just the cutscenes and the actual gameplay is 720

Indeed.

Cutscenes are 1080p but gameplay is 720p which can be upscaled to 1080p apparently.

I'm in two minds about this game. Should the story not hold up, it could become a chore to play through this. 25 hours of linear dungeon crawling with no options to vary the route or change the party layout could become tiresome quickly.

They should re-vamp FFVII and FFX. :thumbup:

Indeed.

Cutscenes are 1080p but gameplay is 720p which can be upscaled to 1080p apparently.

I'm in two minds about this game. Should the story not hold up, it could become a chore to play through this. 25 hours of linear dungeon crawling with no options to vary the route or change the party layout could become tiresome quickly.

They should re-vamp FFVII and FFX. :thumbup:

FFX? :unsure: As much as I love it there's no need really. Fair enough about VII. Don't think they'll ever do it though, despite it being discussed constantly.

All my work will be done by tomorrow if I stay up all night so will be able to get it tues. Cant decide whether to get it on Xbox or playstation tho.

Xbox Pros:

-I prefer the controller

-It's my main console

-Final fantasy with achievements!

-Multiple discs are old-skool FF lol

Cons:

-Slightly lower res apparently

-Multiple discs

-Bit noisy, something I noticed in a similar game like Lost Odyssey where it will be quiet a lot

PS3 pros:

-Slightly better res apparently

-Blu-Ray Disk

-FF is supposed to be played on playstation

-Quiet machine, for all the hours of inevitable quiet and beautiful dialogue scenes

Cons:

-Trophies are pants

-Bound to have slower load times as usual as it's blu-ray

Hmmmmm :ph34r:

All reports suggest it will take 60 hours.

The first 20-30 hours are nothing more than a linear slog and the game is being heavily criticised for this. You can make no choices whatsoever as to your party makeup for the first 30 hours and it's full of long drawn out cutscenes. Even battles are scripted and there is next to no surprises.

After the first 30 hours, should you stand it that long, the game opens out a little and you can customise your party and travel where you want.

The story is going to make or break this game. If it doesn't match up to the quality of FFX then I'll lose interest quickly.

As for which version to get, the PS3 is superior graphically as everything is in 1080p compared with 576p on 360. Even the 360 cutscenes aren't high-def. The port this time is given the rough treatment on 360 for a change. However, there have been reports of slowdown on the PS3 version and some texture tearing.

The game itself is only getting mid 80s scores in the main. Edge magazine only gave it 50 :whistle:

I would wait until this comes down in price and get God of War 3 instead. This game will be the greatest game on PS3 to date and possibly ever, there is no doubt of that.

....Thats hardly a new thing, Final Fantasy is hardly known for giving you freedom to customise things and go where you want from the off is it. FF VII was very much like this and the first disk was about as linear as it got and I'd say that was a good 20 hours if you were going through it for the first time. similar story with VIII and IX.

Beautifully stunning. Loving this after only two hours game play, a must.

Not of agreement after 90 minutes! The whole city is either Green or Grey! The Voice acting and scripting already seems worse than XII, and somehow X! The combat seems to have gone backwards, I'll admit it has the potential to improve as it's still early days but at the moment it's just button mashing Auto battle.

The worst thing about it I haven't got a pissing clue whats going on, normally the first few hours is quite a bit of story setting and this is no different but besides the fact that someones mums dead there's a weird floaty thing in the middle of the city and a load of people with no dress sense are fighting a load of soilders I haven't got the foggiest whats happening. So much to the extent that I'm actually thinking of trotting over to wikipedia this morning and reading the Synopsis :-/

I get the feeling that if this game wasn't labelled as 'Final Fantasy...', Lost Odyssey would definately be the better package.

Lost Odyssey is a quality title.

Someone with a 360 give an honest opinion of the game. I'm still in two minds but will probably pick it up at some point.

You'll struggle to find someone to give you an accurate opinion on the game, they can't have played for any decent amount of time.

I can tell you the first 90 minutes are not the greatest!

You'll struggle to find someone to give you an accurate opinion on the game, they can't have played for any decent amount of time.

I can tell you the first 90 minutes are not the greatest!

Have you got the Crystarium yet?

I don't think so.

Although like I said I am struggling to work out what the bejesus is going on.

I found that, but it comes a bit more apparent when you find 'Sarah' and move on a bit from there.

The initial battle system was annoying, I was getting pissed off with only seeming to fight as one character. I haven't played any more since last night so can't really say any more past that.

I found that, but it comes a bit more apparent when you find 'Sarah' and move on a bit from there.

The initial battle system was annoying, I was getting pissed off with only seeming to fight as one character. I haven't played any more since last night so can't really say any more past that.

I have read a bit of the back story now which makes things a bit clearer. Not exactly much clearer though, it complicated even for a FF game.

Will probably stick another hour in later see if it gets any better lol.

You can't customise your party for 25 hours!

Do tell us how the grind is progressing later on lol

The reviews aren't overly overwhelming, are they?

Biggest flaws of the game (from what I gather so far):

- Linear gameplay (little to no choice to divert from the given path)

- Levels often consist of narrow alleyways, and that's it (again, linear gameplay at its worst)

- Annoying voice-acting (one character in particular does stand out negatively)

- Little to no choice in weapons & armour

- No typical EXP character leveling-up system

- Only one controllable character

- Can't toy around with the ability system (again, the way you advance is already given)

- Only six characters=only six Espers

- XBOX360 graphics of lesser quality than the PS3 version

Having said that, I'll still get my copy only to mourn the lack of Final Fantasy within Final Fantasy.

SquarEnix are dangerously close of losing an entire generation of RPG aficionados who've grown to love the earlier installments of the series (starting with part VI).

The reviews aren't overly overwhelming, are they?

Biggest flaws of the game (from what I gather so far):

- Linear gameplay (little to no choice to divert from the given path)

- Levels often consist of narrow alleyways, and that's it (again, linear gameplay at its worst)

- Annoying voice-acting (one character in particular does stand out negatively)

- Little to no choice in weapons & armour

- No typical EXP character leveling-up system

- Only one controllable character

- Can't toy around with the ability system (again, the way you advance is already given)

- Only six characters=only six Espers

- XBOX360 graphics of lesser quality than the PS3 version

Having said that, I'll still get my copy only to mourn the lack of Final Fantasy within Final Fantasy.

SquarEnix are dangerously close of losing an entire generation of RPG aficionados who've grown to love the earlier installments of the series (starting with part VI).

I could probably learn to live with all of that as long as it A) gets better later on and B) the Story is any good. Played for about another 45 minutes last night and, unsuprisingly more of the same. But will percievere and have an hour pencilled in for later.

Really can't see myself playing this for the achievements after I've finished this!

Not of agreement after 90 minutes! The whole city is either Green or Grey! The Voice acting and scripting already seems worse than XII, and somehow X! The combat seems to have gone backwards, I'll admit it has the potential to improve as it's still early days but at the moment it's just button mashing Auto battle.

The worst thing about it I haven't got a pissing clue whats going on, normally the first few hours is quite a bit of story setting and this is no different but besides the fact that someones mums dead there's a weird floaty thing in the middle of the city and a load of people with no dress sense are fighting a load of soilders I haven't got the foggiest whats happening. So much to the extent that I'm actually thinking of trotting over to wikipedia this morning and reading the Synopsis :-/

I tried that and ended up having a headache attempting to read it!

People who bought the 360 version seem to be of the opinion that unless you have some 60" 1080p HDtv and decent cabling, you won't notice much difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

The biggest difference comes in the cut-scenes and not gameplay, which looks a little washed out but not that you can notice a huge difference with that. It certainly doesn't appear to affect the experience a great deal.

I guess as a port, the 360 ports better.

Mmmmm... decisions, decisions. lol

Hell, for all I know my PS3 might not even boot up after the fiasco of last week, I haven't turned it on since 2009. lol

People who bought the 360 version seem to be of the opinion that unless you have some 60" 1080p HDtv and decent cabling, you won't notice much difference between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game.

The biggest difference comes in the cut-scenes and not gameplay, which looks a little washed out but not that you can notice a huge difference with that. It certainly doesn't appear to affect the experience a great deal.

I guess as a port, the 360 ports better.

Mmmmm... decisions, decisions. lol

Hell, for all I know my PS3 might not even boot up after the fiasco of last week, I haven't turned it on since 2009. lol

I have it on 360 cos I wanted to have a FF with achievements and multiple disks one last time. It looks amazing. My mate brought round his PS3 version today as I just wanted to compare, and I could see almost no difference. The PS3 version looks just a tiny, tiny bit sharper to me. I dont see how anyone can complain, especially as it's a port!

I have it on 360 cos I wanted to have a FF with achievements and multiple disks one last time. It looks amazing. My mate brought round his PS3 version today as I just wanted to compare, and I could see almost no difference. The PS3 version looks just a tiny, tiny bit sharper to me. I dont see how anyone can complain, especially as it's a port!

I finally went for the 360 version today. I haven't had a chance to have a go with it yet though.

It's going to require lots of patience and effort to get through it all as to get all achievements should take around 100 hours of gameplay according to some people.

Do I care for less flashy cut-scenes? No, not really, I had my fair share with MGS4. That'll do, cheers. lol

This game is so far exceeding my expectations.

I'm enjoying it.

As for the graphics, the cut-scenes are superb, where does the PS3 claim superiority in this respect? I've never seen such quality visuals. They're better than MGS4.

As for in game, they're pretty much the standard next-gen.

I don't see where the grounds for this petty argument are. Quite clearly the game is quality on both systems so why bother.

The story makes sense as long as you read the stuff from the menu screen. Just about. lol

It's all a little quiet in this thread.

How is everyone fairing with the game? Just past the Odin eidolon now, 8 hours in. I still think this game has received unfair criticism. I'm really enjoying it.

The battle system is up there with X. It works really well.

I've not had that much time to play the game as yet, I've done about 4/5 hours since I got it.

Wasn't keen on the battle system at the start, with only being able to control one player, but it's growing on me.

I'd like to be able to see more of the Crystarium, like the view of the sphere grid on X, other than that, I've enjoyed what I've played.

Own the ps3 version and last night was shown the xbox version, i noticed quite a difference between the two.

I think i'll put it down too the difference between the tv's i've viewed the game on.

Good so far about 9 hours in, can't wait for it to open out abit more :)

Seriously hope that Hope dies soon or something, one of the worst video game characters i've experianced.

Archived