Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What floats my boat.....

Every Government says they're 'increasing standards'. 

Well, at least perhaps this new lady will at least try not to alienate the entire profession and actually try to liase with them, rather than thinking they know best despite never having stepped in a classroom in their lives (or at least, for any length of time whatsoever).

That said, looks like she's a homophobe who voted for the tuition fee increases (though that may have been a party line thing) so we'll see.

All the moderates have been got rid of. Oh sorry, replaced by a team of loyal MP's that can work together in the run up to the election. I also One or two have left who did not hold the right wing views on human rights. And to appease campaigners the minister for bees has gone. No joke. i have an Email from 38 Degrees saying it was a victory. :)

Gove was too con traversal and it was  feared he might put his foot in it even further. They are are hoping the new one will have a gentler approach and not attract so much media attention  In other words boring.

Edited by Rincewind

Come on, we all know she'll be just as unpopular as gove the minute she confirms that reforms to teacher's pay and pensions will continue. Nice job on the smear campaign against gove, unfortunately now you're back at square one.

I hope not, because pay and pension reforms are the one area of reform that Gove has tried to put across where the Government actually has a leg to stand on. The pensions are unsustainable, no doubt about that.

It's the ideological changes based on the obsolete idea of 'one size fits all' teaching and the idea of putting maximum pressure on students via all-or-nothing tests for the Nietzschean idea that we want either the very best students or cast-aside,broken, and failed students with nothing inbetween that is raising the ire of most teachers, in my opinion.

I've seen that system first hand, and the successes it brings are not worth the human cost. Not when there are different ways with equally effective results.

Guest MattP

Every Government says they're 'increasing standards'. 

Well, at least perhaps this new lady will at least try not to alienate the entire profession and actually try to liase with them, rather than thinking they know best despite never having stepped in a classroom in their lives (or at least, for any length of time whatsoever).

That said, looks like she's a homophobe who voted for the tuition fee increases (though that may have been a party line thing) so we'll see.

Well if you look at the league tables the proof is in the pudding here, don't just believe what people say.

The real losers could be the poorest and brightest, whatever you thought of Gove no one can doubt he wanted to make sure anyone could achieve their potential whatever their background (probably given his own upbringing) and despite being mocked by teachers I loved the fact he was trying to get languages, poetry all all the wonderful culture this country had had to offer into the classrooms. It's stilla great shame if you want your child to learn such beauty you have to be able to afford to send them to a private school.

Well good that she voted for the tutition fee increases, shows she has a brain on her shoulders and doesn't believe in money trees.

A homophobe as she voted against gay marriage? What were you saying yesterday about wanting to enforce mind controls on people? Is it ok when pushing your own agendas though?

Come on, we all know she'll be just as unpopular as gove the minute she confirms that reforms to teacher's pay and pensions will continue. Nice job on the smear campaign against gove, unfortunately now you're back at square one.

Absolutely, it's the tone rather than policy that has to change.

Edited by MattP

Well if you look at the league tables the proof is in the pudding here, don't just believe what people say.

The real losers could be the poorest and brightest, whatever you thought of Gove no one can doubt he wanted to make sure anyone could achieve their potential whatever their background (probably given his own upbringing) and despite being mocked by teachers I loved the fact he was trying to get languages, poetry all all the wonderful culture this country had had to offer into the classrooms. It's stilla great shame if you want your child to learn such beauty you have to be able to afford to send them to a private school.

Well good that she voted for the tutition fee increases, shows she has a brain on her shoulders and doesn't believe in money trees.

A homophobe as she voted against gay marriage? What were you saying yesterday about wanting to enforce mind controls on people? Is it ok when pushing your own agendas though?

Absolutely, it's the tone rather than policy that has to change.

The league tables based on tests that everyone else takes seriously (to the point of preparing in extremis for them) but we don't seem to care about?

I certainly agree about more languages being a good thing in the classroom but I think the arts already have a too high place in our society (including in education) at the expense of the sciences anyway. That's just my personal take, mind.

The tuition fee issue is one that I would like to know more about in detail regarding the exact finances.

As for her voting, I'm glad she exercised her democratic freedom of will to stand against gay marriage, and there's no way I'd take that from her, ever. I'm also exercising my own freedom of will to be able to call her intolerant for doing so.

Edited by leicsmac

When your insurance renewal letter comes and it's far lower than you're expecting

My bike insurance was about £300 last year so I was expecting roughly the same again… £220. Well happy with that. Just out of interest I did the old Go Compare expecting no one to match it… £157, with a lower excess. Excellent

I don't see how getting rid of Gove is any sort of victory for education. Gove was a career bureaucrat and his replacement will be the same. The people who are passionate about education are the ones teaching in classrooms, not working for a political party.

The only way education will be free of the likes of Gove is if education is completely separated from the state.

I don't see how getting rid of Gove is any sort of victory for education. Gove was a career bureaucrat and his replacement will be the same. The people who are passionate about education are the ones teaching in classrooms, not working for a political party.

The only way education will be free of the likes of Gove is if education is completely separated from the state.

Totally agree with you every point except the last.

Putting education in the hands of those who believe it should exist to make a profit is even worse than State bureaucrats controlling it.

There's no easy solution, really. I think the only way would be to put someone in charge who actually has experience of and cares about education, rather than money or political gain.

Well how many MP's have experience when given posts in cabinet/ Most, on all sides are career politicians so by-pass life experience at grass root level. They should have at least a team of advisers from all back grounds. ie. education ex-teachers, heads from primary to college and then not ignore recommendations and findings gathered from research.

Well how many MP's have experience when given posts in cabinet/ Most, on all sides are career politicians so by-pass life experience at grass root level. They should have at least a team of advisers from all back grounds. ie. education ex-teachers, heads from primary to college and then not ignore recommendations and findings gathered from research.

They do have advisors. Not to brag but, I served on the APPG for microfinance. I had meetings with Lynne Featherstone back in the day. Not that my politics and hers match but they wanted advice on the subject.

Is there one for education? A person's experience or lack  of it on an advisory panel does not come into it when the one being advised does not listen as in Goves case. Hopefully the new one will.

You have said Gove was right and the teachers on here were wrong. Who has more experience of teaching a class full of children?

Edited by Rincewind

Is there one for education? A person's experience or lack of it on an advisory panel does not come into it when the one being advised does not listen as in Goves case. Hopefully the new one will.

I can't believe people think Goves' new role is less important. He's now responsible for ensuring all members of the party tow the line. He is now more powerful.

Personally, I don't have a problem with him so I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Edited by BaltimoreBlue
  • Like 1

Is there one for education? A person's experience or lack of it on an advisory panel does not come into it when the one being advised does not listen as in Goves case. Hopefully the new one will.

You have said Gove was right and the teachers on here were wrong. Who has more experience of teaching a class full of children?

How do you know gove wasn't listening to his advisors?