Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What floats my boat.....

Totally agree with you every point except the last.

Putting education in the hands of those who believe it should exist to make a profit is even worse than State bureaucrats controlling it.

There's no easy solution, really. I think the only way would be to put someone in charge who actually has experience of and cares about education, rather than money or political gain.

one of the problems with education is parents. If their having to pay for their childs education they'll make sure their getting their monies worth.

If education is marketised you'd also get lots of variety in the way children are taught rather than just one size fits all.

What's wrong with someone making a profit? people shouldn't be payed for their services? We have for profit schools now and by all accounts they're good, because they have to be or they'd lose business. Even then in a world where education is completely marketised not all schools would be for profit. You'd have shcools ran on charitable donations, home schooling, communities setting up their own schools and all manner of ways I haven't thought of. 

one of the problems with education is parents. If their having to pay for their childs education they'll make sure their getting their monies worth.

If education is marketised you'd also get lots of variety in the way children are taught rather than just one size fits all.

What's wrong with someone making a profit? people shouldn't be payed for their services? We have for profit schools now and by all accounts they're good, because they have to be or they'd lose business. Even then in a world where education is completely marketised not all schools would be for profit. You'd have shcools ran on charitable donations, home schooling, communities setting up their own schools and all manner of ways I haven't thought of. 

Because you then get people in charge who prioritise making a profit over what education should be about - namely ensuring children have an education to take with them through their lives.

Having the option available for fee-paying schools is fine (and I'm sure they are good quality) but the priority should always, always be guaranteeing a standard of education for everyone. Making everything for-profit would in no way guarantee that.

Properly privatising education would be superb. The quality of the schools in the top half would be streets ahead of what we have now.

Yup, it would be like the US healthcare system. If you could afford the right schools, the standard would be utterly superb. Would just be a shame about those who couldn't.

Guest MattP

Why worry if it's not you at the bottom?

One thing you certainly couldn't accuse Gove of is not caring for those at the bottom.

Maybe if you're at the bottom it's about time you started doing something about it? For the sake of your kids education if not for yourself.

Exactly. Another reason for free or reasonably priced high-level education. Have the choice to go for a qualification that will allow you to better yourself and land you in a higher-paying job to help your kids...for free.

:ph34r:

Exactly. Another reason for free or reasonably priced high-level education. Have the choice to go for a qualification that will allow you to better yourself and land you in a higher-paying job to help your kids...for free.

:ph34r:

'Accessible' higher education, definitely. 'Free' is impossible.

So impossible that Sweden, Estonia, Denmark, Greece and Argentina manage it.

I can speak for Greece in that public education there is shocking.

Many universities are overcrowded, underfunded and there are many many strikes by the students which makes things almost impossible. In many cases uni students had exams in late June/July

But Sunflower Seeds float my boat, sad as **** but they are amazing