Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Empire Total War

I bought this game today, thinking it looked pretty cool.

The idiots at Sainsbury's only gave me one disk to start with, which meant a return trip to pick up the second disk (after convincing the stupid manager that there would indeed be two disks!) and then i find after I've 'installed' the game that Steam wants to download an update that has currently taken 3 hours!!!

Part my fault for giving up half way through the first time and trying to play the non-updated version, and then again for switching the downloading server from Benelux (apparently Steam thought this was the best local server) to the UK & Ireland one - then realised the UK & Ireland one was cleary full of other people trying to download the patch so it wouldn't even start a status bar, so then switching back to Benelux server. (where is that anyway.)

So I'm loving it so far - but has anyone got in yet and if so what are there thoughts - is it worth the wait? (It best be!) And does anyone actually use combat techniques or do they just end up charging all their guys at the enemey and hope?

It's out? Jesus I thought it was months to go yet.

I'm hugely into the Total War series but I've refused to get excited about this as I'm pretty sure my laptop won't run it. I can just about run Medieval 2 Total War on the highest settings but it's a massive, MASSIVE strain.

If I can run Empire at all it'll be at like 0 framerate. Shame 'cos, despite initially not giving a fuck at all, I'm actually quite curious about it now. I've an oddly strong drive to play it as the Yanks..

It's out? Jesus I thought it was months to go yet.

I'm hugely into the Total War series but I've refused to get excited about this as I'm pretty sure my laptop won't run it. I can just about run Medieval 2 Total War on the highest settings but it's a massive, MASSIVE strain.

If I can run Empire at all it'll be at like 0 framerate. Shame 'cos, despite initially not giving a fuck at all, I'm actually quite curious about it now. I've an oddly strong drive to play it as the Yanks..

Yeah I kept seeing it and so gave in to the evil purchasing side of my brain - Gordon Brown will be happy. If only millions more did that again!

No. Not in the slightest.

The battle engine is unmatched. There's nothing like the Total War games for recreating the same of massive scale battles, nothing at all. RTS just don't really cut it.

The Total War series is essentially turn based with real time battles thrown in which basically creates the pinacle of strategy gaming.

It might be a little too realistic / serious for some people but generally they really unrivaled. I don't even consider RTS to be much about "strategy" anymore having played Total War games - RTS is just about quickly building a shitload of men and charging them blindly at the other base. Rubbish.

It might be a little too realistic / serious for some people but generally they really unrivaled. I don't even consider RTS to be much about "strategy" anymore having played Total War games - RTS is just about quickly building a shitload of men and charging them blindly at the other base. Rubbish.

And what is wrong with the RTS tactic - that's what I do in Total War and to some effect! It's may start off as a attack to the flanks or an ambush from the trees but ends up in a mess and general pile on, peasants first! Either that or auto resolve - saves a lot of time!

However I remember one battle I was delighted with - completely out number I was left with one group of cavalry against loads of the other guys - so I ran up a hill, waited for a bit, charged down at the advancing army, ran back up the hill, caught breath and charged again and so forth - I managed to get an hourable draw! RESULT!

lol

I consider myself pretty capable at Total War. On the easy settings you can just charge in and have a ruck but you need some tactical nousé to take it seriously in my opinion.

I never bother with peasants, either. I'd rather have an army of 100 professionals than 1000 peasants.

The battle engine is unmatched. There's nothing like the Total War games for recreating the same of massive scale battles, nothing at all. RTS just don't really cut it.

The Total War series is essentially turn based with real time battles thrown in which basically creates the pinacle of strategy gaming.

What's RTS?

Real time strategy.

The battles in the Total War games are in real time but the actual strategic, map-based side of things is turn based. A bit more like Civilization.

'RTS' are 100% real-time. Games like Cossacks, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Command & Conquer.

I must say, the Total War series is one of my favourite gaming series' of all time, i absolutely love how you can be massively outnumbered with inferior units but with the right tactics you can still win the battle. Absolutely brilliant.

If any of you don't know about the game but saw the programme 'time commanders' that is basically the Total War engine but tweaked a bit so you can have multiple people controlling one side.

I'm definately going to buy this today.

I must say, the Total War series is one of my favourite gaming series' of all time, i absolutely love how you can be massively outnumbered with inferior units but with the right tactics you can still win the battle. Absolutely brilliant.

If any of you don't know about the game but saw the programme 'time commanders' that is basically the Total War engine but tweaked a bit so you can have multiple people controlling one side.

I'm definately going to buy this today.

Just don't expect to be playing today - Steam is still blocking my acess to the game!

I was considering buying this for my new gaming pc. My system should tear it up into little pieces.

By the sounds of it though, I'd rather tear up Steam into little pieces instead.

Steam ruined my Half Life 2 experience when that was first released. After that balls up you'd expect them to at least have improved their service. But, it appears not.

I'd suggest waiting for a bit until the general commotion has died down and until those uber-slow Steam servers can get round to handling one system at a time.

It's a shame that the game is wrapped up around the Steam 'service'.

As for the game, I tried the demo and it was pretty good. I had Rome Total War a few years back but struggled to get into it. The naval battle side of things worked well in this one though. The battlefields seemed a little easier to navigate and to control this time round as well so I may get it.

Steam though... waste of space.

You can get the game through Amazon for £23.96. Might be worth a punt.

Really looking forward to this. I've wanted a Napoleonic era TW since the series started!

Does anyone remember this? (Or indeed ever watch it!)

I so wanted to be on this - Total War co-op mode!

Got this on Friday. After the predictable Steam problems, I got it installed and...well...what a game.

Depth, longevity, great graphics, great spound, superb engine.... without a doubt the 2nd best Sega game available ;)

I recommend anyone who hasn't played it to give the demo a go.

Got this on Friday. After the predictable Steam problems, I got it installed and...well...what a game.

Depth, longevity, great graphics, great spound, superb engine.... without a doubt the 2nd best Sega game available ;)

I recommend anyone who hasn't played it to give the demo a go.

How demanding is it on the computer?

Archived