Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

PC Gamers

Any on here?

I prefer PC gaming as it gives you a sense of achievement when you build your own system, and you can do much more. Games like Crysis and FSX are great if your pc can run it. Prefer them to the consoles.

Whos a PC gamer on here then?

Any on here?

I prefer PC gaming as it gives you a sense of achievement when you build your own system, and you can do much more. Games like Crysis and FSX are great if your pc can run it. Prefer them to the consoles.

Whos a PC gamer on here then?

*raises hand*

I've not owned a console since the SNES. Admittedly, platform and arcade games are more fun to play on consoles, but I far prefer gaming on a PC for all other types of games.

As I am studying IT at college, building my own sytem up and playing games on it is great

But, I find it hard to find PC games I will really enjoy though. I have football manager and rollercoaster tycoon 3 for PC [which are the best I have] and a few others but I can never find a game that I will 'enjoy'.

Sometimes, I get bored on both after a short time although I did go on football manager from 7am - 7pm ages ago.

:wave:

The PC is my main platform - I guess it's cos when I was young people mostly owned computers (Spectrums and C64s) for games and the only console around was the rather naff Atari 2600.

That doesn't mean I don't do consoles either. My gaming is as eclectic as my music and I prefer either PCs for some types of games and consoles for others.

PC for: FPSs, RPGs, strategy games and god-games.

Consoles for: Driving games, beat-em ups, footie games, platform games and generally more arcadey games.

I think it's all about the controls - I just CANNOT get to grips with thumbsticks to aim, shoot and move in FPSs on consoles. With a mouse and keyboard I can shoot back over my shoulder whilst strafing quite easily. (I find the usual self-centring of the crosshairs in most console shooters extremely annoying!)

On the flipside, the Sony and Xbox controllers are great for beat-em ups and driving, plus these games work much better slobbed out on a sofa with your mates.

For the record, my machine history is...

ZX Spectrum 48k

Amiga 1000

Atari 520 ST

Sega Megadrive

Amiga 1200

PC 486

PS1

PC P75

Dreamcast

PC with 1.6gig processor (which has evolved into my current 3.0 system with tons more memory and a 1 gig gfx card)

PS2

Many of the above were over-lapping (the PS1, P75 and Dreamcast I had all at the same time) and all have provided lots of fun!

I play all games on pc apart from Tiger Woods, Pro Evo and Colin McRae.

My pc is sound for playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter2, Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, Football Manager etc. but I think I'd struggle with some of the games I hear about cos I'm not sure what graphics card I got and I only got 1gb RAM

I play all games on pc apart from Tiger Woods, Pro Evo and Colin McRae.

My pc is sound for playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter2, Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, Football Manager etc. but I think I'd struggle with some of the games I hear about cos I'm not sure what graphics card I got and I only got 1gb RAM

Press Start > Run > dxdiag > Click Display, then its under name

Consoles for: Driving games, beat-em ups, footie games, platform games and generally more arcadey games.

I think that driving/flight sims (especially with wheel/rudder and pedals) and football games used to be superior on PC for a long time. Even though the latter type is easilier controlled on consoles today (not in my case though) I still think the former types are out of place on a console unless they're arcade style games, and not sims.

DXDiag.jpg

Can someone explain to me what all this crap means?

And tell me if its any good?

Is a very decent gfx card by all accounts. I assume you use a widescreen monitor? I hate it when people get their aspect ratios wrong! :P

Yeah its nota a bad graphics card, dont be mistaken though, unfortunately your graphics card doesnt have 1403MB of dedicated memory. Im not sure what it is but most likely 256 or 512mb, Vista shares some of your memory as video memory.

DXDiag.jpg

Your graphics card is not good enough to run the top games at maximum spec at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. I originally had the ati 3450 and it was not up to scratch.

Get yourself a geforce 9 series and you're laughing. Mine is a 9500 gt - superb performance and at only £50.

I've never been fond of the ati cards in pc's. Stay away from them.

As for pc gaming in general, if you're ploughing £400+ into a desktop pc you may as well have a decent graphics card in it. The spec of these pc's is so high nowadays that gaming is the only software out there that makes use of its fullest potential in terms of power.

It's good to have both a console and a gaming pc because it gives you more options. Strategy games - pc's and five years ago I'd have said FPSs too, but consoles have improved so much in this respect that they are actually better imo.

The only downside with the pc are those damn annoying driver updates and stability issues with some games. Oh, almost forgot, Steam too. Nuisance.

Is a very decent gfx card by all accounts. I assume you use a widescreen monitor? I hate it when people get their aspect ratios wrong! :P

It's a laptop, so just a normal screen :dunno:lol

Yeah its nota a bad graphics card, dont be mistaken though, unfortunately your graphics card doesnt have 1403MB of dedicated memory. Im not sure what it is but most likely 256 or 512mb, Vista shares some of your memory as video memory.
Your graphics card is not good enough to run the top games at maximum spec at a resolution of 1280 x 1024. I originally had the ati 3450 and it was not up to scratch.

Get yourself a geforce 9 series and you're laughing. Mine is a 9500 gt - superb performance and at only £50.

I've never been fond of the ati cards in pc's. Stay away from them.

As for pc gaming in general, if you're ploughing £400+ into a desktop pc you may as well have a decent graphics card in it. The spec of these pc's is so high nowadays that gaming is the only software out there that makes use of its fullest potential in terms of power.

It's good to have both a console and a gaming pc because it gives you more options. Strategy games - pc's and five years ago I'd have said FPSs too, but consoles have improved so much in this respect that they are actually better imo.

The only downside with the pc are those damn annoying driver updates and stability issues with some games. Oh, almost forgot, Steam too. Nuisance.

Like i say, its a laptop used for general stuff - not gaming. PC gaming doesnt really interest me (though i used to be fond of games like Populous years ago.

I've been on that can you run it site, and it says i can run Crysis. Dunno what relevance that has though.

You guys know more than me.

It's a laptop, so just a normal screen :dunno:lol

Like i say, its a laptop used for general stuff - not gaming. PC gaming doesnt really interest me (though i used to be fond of games like Populous years ago.

I've been on that can you run it site, and it says i can run Crysis. Dunno what relevance that has though.

You guys know more than me.

You'll be able to run it, but not very well. There'll be lots of screen tears at higher settings. It'll also be pretty jerky, a bit like gaming lag on COD4.

Is this crap? And Trav Le Blue is my ratio wrong?! 17 inch screen?

Its not the best :P I think thats on the old PCI interface or maybe AGP. I think the native resolution for a 17" screen is 1280 by 1024.

Speaking of crysis, its an amazing game just about to go on Warhead now ( I get an average of 28 - 35 frames)

Its not the best :PI think thats on the old PCI interface or maybe AGP. I think the native resolution for a 17" screen is 1280 by 1024.

Speaking of crysis, its an amazing game just about to go on Warhead now ( I get an average of 28 - 35 frames)

Does that mean old style motherboard? I don't know anything about pc's! If it means motherboard you are right cos the memory I have to buy is that old style DDR. The guy at the shop said it's DDR2 nowadays!

Can I change my resolution while I'm doin stuff on PC?

Does that mean old style motherboard? I don't know anything about pc's! If it means motherboard you are right cos the memory I have to buy is that old style DDR. The guy at the shop said it's DDR2 nowadays!

Can I change my resolution while I'm doin stuff on PC?

Well actually DDR3 has been introduced, but you can only buy what your motherboard can use.

PCI, PCI-Express and AGP are only the interface of graphics cards. You can identify which is which by the different slots you plug a graphics card into.

If you want to change your resolution... right click on your desktop > properties > settings > and then move the slider to 1280 x 1024, it should make it look crisper but its entirely your choice to change it.

360 owners can go fook themselves.

Mouse-Keyboard is THE FPS format. I also love strat games which can't really be done very well on consoles imo.

I disagree with your first statement, although I agree with your second.

As a gaming package consoles, in particular the 360, do FPSs extremely well. There is an art to using a joypad with an FPS and if people complain about it, clearly they're not very skilled gamers.

Strategy games though, yes PCs all the way. Can't argue with that one.

Archived