Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

OnLive

Problem with doing it via VMs etc is they'd need some serious amounts of power behind it, and the latency issue. I mean obviously, its not going to be too ridiculous given that its easy enough to play online games where you're waiting that ~20ms in ideal circumstances to see people move about etc, but when you introduce that delay to the controls it could be a bit more noticable.

OnLive - Watch the video!

Very interesting prospect! No more Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo (in a hardware sense!)... just games developers!

If it could ever work that is!

If it works I will be shit-my-pants happy, to be honeset.

It's a novel idea, but it isnt viable, and quite simply will not work.

They all laughed at Christopher Collumbus...

They all laughed at Christopher Collumbus...

Quite, they reckon they've been working on the specific tech for 7 years... maybe they have found a way around the lag issue!?

I've worked out why?

It makes piracy virtually impossible, therefore you'd have to buy games.... :giggle:

Only one of my consoles can play back ups I'll have you know. The other three (PS3, 360, NDS) are ligit and I buy games for them and my two kids 360s!

I wouldn't like it because I use my consoles more as media centres rather than gaming consoles. So to go down the online route isn't an option in my circumstance.

:P to you Phube. Hows the wife doing with baby Phube?

Only one of my consoles can play back ups I'll have you know. The other three (PS3, 360, NDS) are ligit and I buy games for them and my two kids 360s!

I wouldn't like it because I use my consoles more as media centres rather than gaming consoles. So to go down the online route isn't an option in my circumstance.

:P to you Phube. Hows the wife doing with baby Phube?

Very good at the mo', thanks. Big scan tomorrow! :thumbup:

Interesting news about OnLive:

The other day we had someone write in to ask whether the OnLive PC service would mean the end of hardware rivalry - to which we answered in the negative.

And now trademark watchers have found that Sony has registered the name "PS Cloud" - apparently just hours after OnLive was revealed publicly.

Cloud computing is the technology used by OnLive that means you no longer need a console in the home - just broadband.

Quite, they reckon they've been working on the specific tech for 7 years... maybe they have found a way around the lag issue!?

Its just not physically possible to get much better than around about 30ms over any distance without requiring leased lines and the like - the claim of 1ms is pure hyperbole, you'll get more than that just connecting to your modem. If you traceroute a connection to say, google.com , you'll see that you'll probably have a timing of about 20ms to get to your ISP's local hub, plus a couple of ms bouncing around your ISP then whatever out the other side. At that level its not really noticable for entities, I mean its perfectly possible to play FPSes on the internet, but control delay in very high paced stuff isn't necessarily the same.

Its massively dependant on the quality of your internet connection, but isn't totally impossible, though it wouldn't necessarily work so well.

On the fly compression is tough, though possible - its the quality issue that's interesting to me. They'd need one hell of an algorithm to make it usable in decent resolutions over the average ~5mbps connection. All in all, it looks like something that could work, just nowhere near as well as advertised.

Archived