Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Hard Drive Adapter

Am I right in thinking that the IDE to SATA will only go as fast as USB 2.0.

As SATA is faster, it will slow down to USB so you might as well just use USB.

I think PCI SATA would be faster.

Anyhow, I only use Internal HD's (less hassle and cheaper), so I just use my SATA ports inside.

Am I right in thinking that the IDE to SATA will only go as fast as USB 2.0.

As SATA is faster, it will slow down to USB so you might as well just use USB.

I think PCI SATA would be faster.

Anyhow, I only use Internal HD's (less hassle and cheaper), so I just use my SATA ports inside.

Not sure I understood that as I don't know what SATA is.

As for the product well I have 2 spare internal hard drives doing nothing so thought I could use them as extra strorage, not too fusse about transfer speed as will only using it for storage.

Not sure I understood that as I don't know what SATA is.

As for the product well I have 2 spare internal hard drives doing nothing so thought I could use them as extra strorage, not too fusse about transfer speed as will only using it for storage.

Ah ok,

USB to SATA should be fine for you then..

SATA is just a type of interface for devices like Hard drives, DVD drives etc.. It is more modern than IDE

They come with 2 type of connectors

SATA Power - PSU to device

sata15pin.jpg

SATA Data - Motherboard to device

latching-sata-II-data-signal-cable-latching.jpg

I imagine for your USB to SATA, it will use the SATA data cable, from the USB device to the hard drive.

IDE is the older interface... (the ribbon in your computer)

The end bit is for the master device and second bit is for the slave drive. Try to avoid IDE because SATA is better as it automatically configures your slave and master so there is no need to worry about changing the jumpers.

:thumbup:

If i've understood you right, and you want to use your spare drives like USB drives, then you need a hard drive enclosure like this one, (which i use)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=HD-001-BT

you just unscrew the case, plug your old drive in, attach the usb cable and you're good to go.

you can get SATA versions and IDE, and the auto recognise the disk in Windows!

If i've understood you right, and you want to use your spare drives like USB drives, then you need a hard drive enclosure like this one, (which i use)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=HD-001-BT

you just unscrew the case, plug your old drive in, attach the usb cable and you're good to go.

you can get SATA versions and IDE, and the auto recognise the disk in Windows!

Definitely go with the above! Much better and easier for your hard drives! :thumbup:

What I have are 2 internal Western Digital WD400/WD800 Caviar units that I want to use as external storage.

Preferably to buy one product that I can use for both so would need to be easily swappable.

Can someone explain why I need an enclosure / why the cable option is not preferable as taking them in and out of an enclusure sounds like hardwork for this lazy arse. :P

What I have are 2 internal Western Digital WD400/WD800 Caviar units that I want to use as external storage.

Preferably to buy one product that I can use for both so would need to be easily swappable.

Can someone explain why I need an enclosure / why the cable option is not preferable as taking them in and out of an enclusure sounds like hardwork for this lazy arse. :P

If you want to swap them around, just dont put the cover back on the enclosure! just make sure you unplug the power and usb cable when you want to switch the drives!

If you want to swap them around, just dont put the cover back on the enclosure! just make sure you unplug the power and usb cable when you want to switch the drives!

So you'd recommend the box then?

OK I know who to blame if it turns out crap :P

Archived