Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Cob or Roll?

Cob or Roll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which One?

• Cob
    • Roll

Cobs/rolls must have the most different regional names than anything else I think. Whereever you go they seem to have a different name for it. Caused me some problems in an Isle of Wight bakery once too. I wanted a french stick and they gave me a Bloomer loaf. They called French Sticks Bagettes! I call the short French Sticks Bagettes?!

If its round & crusty its a Cob... if its round & soft its a Bap. If its soft and hot-dog shaped its a Roll. :rolleyes:

Having now read the rest of the thread.... DavieG has it spot on. (Im not taking about the lady-parts though lol)

Cobs/rolls must have the most different regional names than anything else I think. Whereever you go they seem to have a different name for it. Caused me some problems in an Isle of Wight bakery once too. I wanted a french stick and they gave me a Bloomer loaf. They called French Sticks Bagettes! I call the short French Sticks Bagettes?!

If its round & crusty its a Cob... if its round & soft its a Bap. If its soft and hot-dog shaped its a Roll. :rolleyes:

French sticks are baguettes!

Nooooo French Sticks are the longer version of Baguettes!! :angry:lol

Random but....

My mate's retarded Weimaraner once nicked a french stick off the kitchen work-surface. He (somewhat stoopidly) tried to carry it through to show us his 'prize' when he got the french stick firmly wedged across the doorway. He just stood there, looking a little unsure of himself by this point, and wondering why he'd suddenly lost the ability to move forwards!

:doh:

Tend to call most things just sandwich. Would call the sort of soft round bread a bap. Here in Manc they call them Barms, fook that, stupid word. Used to call em breadcakes being from Hull but tend to call them baps now. Always say chip butty though, only thing I call a butty. Cob seems to be purely a Leicestershire thing, never heard it anywhere else. Long thin soft baguette-ish shaped things are rolls, but again would just call anything in that a sandwich.

It's a cob.

I love how in the Leicestershire dialect it is technically possible to "cob a cob".

All my mates think I'm mad when I use the term "chuddy" too. Didn't realise that was a regional expression though.

I used chuddy as a kid in Lincolnshire.

It's a cob.

I love how in the Leicestershire dialect it is technically possible to "cob a cob".

All my mates think I'm mad when I use the term "chuddy" too. Didn't realise that was a regional expression though.

Chuddy?

Archived