Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Has anyone got a Google pixel 8 or know anything about them?

My lad wants one for his birthday but they're about £500 so need to make sure it's decent and will last.

30 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My lad wants one for his birthday but they're about £500 so need to make sure it's decent and will last.

My son has one, seems pretty robust and quite a decent phone. Most phones last well with a decent case. Are you buying outright or contract? I got his on ID mobile at around £25pm

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

My son has one, seems pretty robust and quite a decent phone. Most phones last well with a decent case. Are you buying outright or contract? I got his on ID mobile at around £25pm

He's got a Sim only contract with 3 so I'll be buying it outright. Good point about getting a decent case, thanks :thumbup:

• Like 1

Android is insane.

Answering a call from the doc this morning and the phone killed the call every time I pressed the answer button. Got the girl to phone me - same thing. 

Now I hate talking to people on the phone so this isn't necessarily a bad feature - but a phone that can't take calls? That has to be some kind of unique selling point?

The internet offered up a whole host of complicated solutions.

Got the wife to call and it works if I sweep the answer button up. Like in what universe is this logical? lol

I don't know if it's just that I've become so comfortable with Apple with over 14 years of being immersed in the ecosystem - but is this stuff normal for Android?

9 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Android is insane.

Answering a call from the doc this morning and the phone killed the call every time I pressed the answer button. Got the girl to phone me - same thing. 

Now I hate talking to people on the phone so this isn't necessarily a bad feature - but a phone that can't take calls? That has to be some kind of unique selling point?

Got the wife to call and it works if I sweep the answer button up. Like in what universe is this logical? lol

I don't know if it's just that I've become so comfortable with Apple with over 14 years of being immersed in the ecosystem - but is this stuff normal for Android?

It varies from device to device and will depend on to what extent the manufacturer has messed about with it. I get two buttons on mine when I get a call, one saying 'answer', one saying 'decline', which I can just about cope with (it's always 'decline').

My wife has a Samsung and I think she has to drag to answer but aren't there little chevrons indicating the direction to get what you want?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've always been Android so I am thoroughly used to it, I can imagine the unconverted being flumoxxed.

Given that one of my degrees is in Computer Science, it's more than a tad embarrassing lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Izzy said:

Do it. 

I've always alternated between Google and Samsung (and at one time HTC), but Pixels have always been the best. 

Soon afterwards I managed to get a very good case as they gave me a discount from their store. A tad pricey but it's better compared to other cases I've brought off Amazon or other sites. 

I've often found with Google as well their help service is very efficient. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I’d save yourself the hassle of all this and just go back to Apple. I’ve tried the android thing twice and iOS is just better. 

Wife has been banging on about sending it back because I have 14 days - but I feel the need to master it, I hate not getting stuff. That, and I'm moving everything else in the office over to Windows. I can't justify the price of a new Macbook Pro since they became obscene.

Starting to look like my iPhone 12 needs replacing

Had it since December 2020 but now the battery is down 76% max capacity and at times after scrolling on Twitter for a bit it gets warm on the back and the screen dims

Probably just go for an iPhone 15 next

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

@DaggersI seriously think the best solution is the swap I previously proposed, that I give you a Golden Delicious, or apple variety of your choice, and I'll take the Fold 6 off you :D

If I encounter one more setback I'll DM you.

And I prefer Pink Ladies.

44 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Starting to look like my iPhone 12 needs replacing

Had it since December 2020 but now the battery is down 76% max capacity and at times after scrolling on Twitter for a bit it gets warm on the back and the screen dims

Probably just go for an iPhone 15 next

Fvcking hell your updates are gonna be insanely quick once you get your new phone... 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Daggers said:

If I encounter one more setback I'll DM you.

And I prefer Pink Ladies.

I never expected that Daggers 'sliding into my DM's' could be the highlight of my day lol

I've still got a Blackberry somewhere, if you fancy a change of fruit.

How was it that a few years ago, everything phone related sounded more like a picnic? You had Apple and Blackberry phones, the operating systems for Android were all Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread or Jellybean.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Android is insane.

I guess it can seem complicated.  In android you have options for everything and everything is customisable, you get treated like an adult.  With Apple you are told what to do and whether you're allowed to do it and whatever you do, it will try and cost you. If you like gadgets and technology then persevere with the fold 6 it will be totally worth it and you'll wonder why you ever wasted so much time with Apple.  If you can't be bothered to put the effort in the front end or it seems like too much hassle then give it back while you can.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I guess it can seem complicated.  In android you have options for everything and everything is customisable, you get treated like an adult.  With Apple you are told what to do and whether you're allowed to do it and whatever you do, it will try and cost you. If you like gadgets and technology then persevere with the fold 6 it will be totally worth it and you'll wonder why you ever wasted so much time with Apple.  If you can't be bothered to put the effort in the front end or it seems like too much hassle then give it back while you can.   

laughing-kid-meme-29gymp.jpg

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Agreed, Android is for grown ups and Apple is for kids, master the Android and you'll never look back

• Like 1

So glad I've managed to spark another iteration of mobile phone operating systems war as well as causing floods of right-wing tears in two threads before we've even completed Monday.

This is going to be a very fulfilling week. :brendan:

• Haha 1

The only way we can settle this is we find a pair of identical twins who are bright but have never had a smartphone, give one an iPhone and one an Android device, and get them to mark them out of ten after a couple of weeks of using them.

It's incredibly scientific, not flawed in any way, and it MAKES SENSE. Nobel prize to the usual address, please

• Haha 1