Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darkzzz_

Learning Web Design

Any web designers amongst us?

I have very basic knowledge of HTML but I really want to learn web design to go along with my Photography so I can create my own website. It would be good to be skilled in both areas in the future.

Can anyone give me any starter points? What courses should I look at? Any books I should be looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Don't know where to put this, but editing photo's on photobucket.. how are you meant to colour fill your picture (under decorate). I managed to do it yesterday once, by clicking about 5 times and occasionally dragging the cursor over the part I wanted filling. About 10 other times I failed, what do I have to do? I don't really understand what im doing wrong.

Any web designers amongst us?

I have very basic knowledge of HTML but I really want to learn web design to go along with my Photography so I can create my own website. It would be good to be skilled in both areas in the future.

Can anyone give me any starter points? What courses should I look at? Any books I should be looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I already have some Web design skills but took advantage of this offer! (Theres a link on the right hand side which says Build a Free Website) It's a free website from Mircosoft for one or two years, after which you will have to pay although you can cancel it! Can't go wrong. You can create your own content or use their templates but better skill, use their design suite which is all online. Its quick and easy and perfect for any beginner. It takes a little while getting used to but well worth it!

If you want to learn basic web skills, the best place is to look at http://www.w3schools.com/

It's one of the best places to start and I always use it for references to code etc and there are tutorials etc. It may take a bit of time getting used to but its well worth it!

You probably need some software as its easier than hard coding in which case Dreamweaver is the best but it will cost you unless you know where to look :thumbup: .

If you are doing Photohraphy then maybe a Flash website would be better in which case only the basic HTML skills but would need to learn Flash. It's not too difficult but a book or W3Schools is a good place to start. When I learnt I just borrowed books from the library! I'm gonna be revamping my site once my exams are over (hopefully in flash) and will post some tips/links when its done!

Spot on Granno. Will take a good read. I have just obtained a copy of dreamweaver but don't have a clue where to start, so I will swat up.

:D

Thanks.

No worries, if i find some other stuff I'll let you know.

I'm just starting to learn web design aswell, been going through 'Head First HTML and CSS' which is good but if you know html already then might be a bit basic.

From what I've read it is better to get a good foundation knowledge of html/xhtml before you start using dreamweaver as that does a lot of it for you and its best to know what its doing and why. Once your confident with html/css think javascript or php are a good next step. As I say I'm only just starting out aswell so theres probably other people on here who know alot more about this than I do.

Wouldnt trust all the free stuff on the internet but w3schools stuff is good. Also look at blogs for tutorials, Nettuts, Webdesigner Depot, Line25, Function Web Design are all good.

Some books that I've not read yet but have heard are good and might get myself:

Creating a Website : The Missing Manual

CSS: The Missing Manual

The CSS Anthology (Sitepoint)

The Art and Science of CSS (Sitepoint)

Head First Javascript

Javascript The Missing Manual

The Art and Science of Javascript

As an aside I had to code an online shopping website for my first year web design project.

Was ok once you understand PHP, but I woukd assume that's a lot more advanced than what most of you want.

I really should know more about web design than i do being as i do a computing degree. My HTML grasp is ridiculously basic, my dreamweaver skillz are also poor.

My javascript skillz on the other hand are pitiful - and this is what a large percentage of my computing exams are on.

<marquee>Jizz on the carpet</marquee>

I'm just starting to learn web design aswell, been going through 'Head First HTML and CSS' which is good but if you know html already then might be a bit basic.

From what I've read it is better to get a good foundation knowledge of html/xhtml before you start using dreamweaver as that does a lot of it for you and its best to know what its doing and why. Once your confident with html/css think javascript or php are a good next step. As I say I'm only just starting out aswell so theres probably other people on here who know alot more about this than I do.

Wouldnt trust all the free stuff on the internet but w3schools stuff is good. Also look at blogs for tutorials, Nettuts, Webdesigner Depot, Line25, Function Web Design are all good.

Some books that I've not read yet but have heard are good and might get myself:

Creating a Website : The Missing Manual

CSS: The Missing Manual

The CSS Anthology (Sitepoint)

The Art and Science of CSS (Sitepoint)

Head First Javascript

Javascript The Missing Manual

The Art and Science of Javascript

Thanks Birch. Appreciate the links. I have so much to learn.But I will get there. Photography, Photoshop and Web design = Top Geek. I need more hours in my day. I need to draw a plan up.

Nice one. Keep them coming... :thumbup:

How on earth are we supposed to remember all of this though? That's what gets me. There seems a lot to remember. I am crap at remembering stuff. Do you often forget?

PS.... try to learn about design also.

From my experience most web designers don't have a clue about the actual design part. They can make a website work fantastically, but it looks like a bag of crap.

Thanks mate. That is why I want to start at the very basics. I have dreamweaver but I am starting right at the bottom before I touch it. I want to know that I am doing it right.

One designer has on a forum said that they often forget things and copy their code from a previous (correct) site. I'm glad that the pro's forget too!!

My memory is terrible. I am getting a clearer picture on how HTML and CSS work together now... But I need to refresh myself every now and again on the things I have just learnt. I, like you, hopes it just clicks one day. lol

I'm a professional web developer/designer :)

Some books I've got on my shelf that I'd recommend...

Designing With Web Standards - Jeffrey Zeldman (good for starters, think he is doing a new edition atm)

HTML Mastery - Paul Haine (good for learning about proper markup)

CSS Mastery - Various (good, perhaps a little dated in terms of browser support but the principles are the same)

The Principles Of Beautiful Design - Jason Beaird (bit more designey)

Transcending CSS - Andy Clarke (just awesome)

Don't Make Me Think - Steve Krug (how to make your sites easy to use)

Also .net magazine (www.netmag.co.uk) and Smashing Magazine (www.smashingmagazine.com) have some great articles.

Also check out the blogs of:

Elliott Jay Stocks - www.elliottjaystocks.com - down at the moment but he has a book out too and is very talented

Jeffrey Zeldman - www.zeldman.com - the daddy of modern web design

Dave Shea - www.mezzoblue.com

Cameron Moll - www.cameronmoll.com

Of course.. what interests you really depends on exactly what aspects of web design/development you're into.. feel free to PM me or just post in here and I'll be happy to help.. I am by no means the bad ass big daddy but hopefully this is useful to someone :)

Archived