Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darkzzz_

Learning Web Design

I'm a professional web developer/designer :)

Some books I've got on my shelf that I'd recommend...

Designing With Web Standards - Jeffrey Zeldman (good for starters, think he is doing a new edition atm)

HTML Mastery - Paul Haine (good for learning about proper markup)

CSS Mastery - Various (good, perhaps a little dated in terms of browser support but the principles are the same)

The Principles Of Beautiful Design - Jason Beaird (bit more designey)

Transcending CSS - Andy Clarke (just awesome)

Don't Make Me Think - Steve Krug (how to make your sites easy to use)

Also .net magazine (www.netmag.co.uk) and Smashing Magazine (www.smashingmagazine.com) have some great articles.

Also check out the blogs of:

Elliott Jay Stocks - www.elliottjaystocks.com - down at the moment but he has a book out too and is very talented

Jeffrey Zeldman - www.zeldman.com - the daddy of modern web design

Dave Shea - www.mezzoblue.com

Cameron Moll - www.cameronmoll.com

Of course.. what interests you really depends on exactly what aspects of web design/development you're into.. feel free to PM me or just post in here and I'll be happy to help.. I am by no means the bad ass big daddy but hopefully this is useful to someone :)

I think I would be more interested in graphics to be honest, but I wouldn't say I am a "daddy" of art. There is major room for improvement. I use Photoshop a lot and create sigs and banners etc. But again, would need to improve my skills within photoshop.

I am also interested with how web pages function and their look. So at the moment I don't know which way to go and what future opportunities there are for someone like me.

I am just gaining a basic level understanding of CSS at the moment, my HTML is pretty decent although basic. I am struggling a lot more with CSS, it is harder to remember.

I just want to be able to create simple pages, as I said. My main aim is to be able to build my own website for my Photos as an alternative to my flickr page.

If you want to thrown any advice my way, feel free to contact me. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived