Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Laptop Advice.

Just had my laptop serviced, some security put on it, and i've asked how to fix my sound on here before but haven't been able to fix it myself so had them look at that at the same time but they couldn't find what the problem was, they suggested it could be a loose connection with the motherboard as they did get it to work briefly when they pushed down on the front and that is likely to cost quite a few pennies to sort so I said leave it, also I fear i'm getting a lose connection on the charger socket and they said they wouldn't take my money of me as I have already had it fixed once and it is likely to be weak and not worth fixing.

Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered :giggle:

Nah fair play, Saving me money, Besides i've been told by many people once laptops start needing to fixed it's best to look at new ones rather than throwing money at them to be fixed.

So my laptop works for what I want it to do (Sound would be nice but no major) so i'm in no major rush for a new one but looking at new ones, What suggestions have people got? And what laptop's has everyone got? Any good?

Not really set a budget but under £400 I think. :dunno: Would I get alot for that sort of money, I don't think i've got many options for under £300?

Someone told me unless I have a big budget keep away from Dell's and apparently Acer's aren't so good? I currently have an Acer which has been really good and reliable tbf, Only had 2 problems with it - Think that is the best record I have ever had with a laptop/PC.

Just had my laptop serviced, some security put on it, and i've asked how to fix my sound on here before but haven't been able to fix it myself so had them look at that at the same time but they couldn't find what the problem was, they suggested it could be a loose connection with the motherboard as they did get it to work briefly when they pushed down on the front and that is likely to cost quite a few pennies to sort so I said leave it, also I fear i'm getting a lose connection on the charger socket and they said they wouldn't take my money of me as I have already had it fixed once and it is likely to be weak and not worth fixing.

Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered :giggle:

Nah fair play, Saving me money, Besides i've been told by many people once laptops start needing to fixed it's best to look at new ones rather than throwing money at them to be fixed.

So my laptop works for what I want it to do (Sound would be nice but no major) so i'm in no major rush for a new one but looking at new ones, What suggestions have people got? And what laptop's has everyone got? Any good?

Not really set a budget but under £400 I think. :dunno: Would I get alot for that sort of money, I don't think i've got many options for under £300?

Someone told me unless I have a big budget keep away from Dell's and apparently Acer's aren't so good? I currently have an Acer which has been really good and reliable tbf, Only had 2 problems with it - Think that is the best record I have ever had with a laptop/PC.

I've just had to bin my Philips laptop (£500+) because there was an indeterminable fault on the mother board and there doesn't appear to be a supply of spares around even if it was financially viable to buy one.

I've got a cheapish Toshiba, the sound being 10 times better than the Philips but it's a bit slow and will now not connect automatically to the web although that could be the shitty Vista which gave me problems on both laptops.

I'm planning to replace my Philips with a desktop + XP as I can't afford the laptop option where when something goes wrong it costs you an arm and a leg to put right.

Does this look any good, Spec wise? https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/VAIO-.../VGNNS20J/S.CEK

I know it's over my rough estimated budget of £400.

I like the sound of a Sony Vaio but I think that alot down to the name, Would I be paying for the name, and does anyone know how reliable Vaio's are? I guess all laptops are prone to breaking and luck plays it's part?

As DavieG says, When Laptops break and need fixing it can be quite costly - And as i've been told once you start getting laptop's fixed it's normally the end.

I was also told by the person who had a look at my current laptop September and Christmas are the best times to buy as September it's back to school, college and uni, and Christmas obviously they are selling slightly cheaper for presents.

Does this look any good, Spec wise? https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/VAIO-.../VGNNS20J/S.CEK

I know it's over my rough estimated budget of £400.

I like the sound of a Sony Vaio but I think that alot down to the name, Would I be paying for the name, and does anyone know how reliable Vaio's are? I guess all laptops are prone to breaking and luck plays it's part?

As DavieG says, When Laptops break and need fixing it can be quite costly - And as i've been told once you start getting laptop's fixed it's normally the end.

I was also told by the person who had a look at my current laptop September and Christmas are the best times to buy as September it's back to school, college and uni, and Christmas obviously they are selling slightly cheaper for presents.

Processor might be a bit slow? Looks good though.

This really depends on how you want to use your "laptop".

May I suggest a "netbook"? You can't do any better than this...

Samsung NC10

It is a superb piece of kit. Just get yourself a external cd-drive and you're laughing. I'm amazed at how efficient it is at running everything. And it's as light as a feather.

It all depends on what you want to use your laptop for of course. But for email, internet, portability and efficiency, you can't do a lot better. And it's only £300.

As an extension to your desktop pc, assuming you've got one, it's brilliant. Get one.

I won my laptop! :thumbup:

There I was on holiday in 2007 and my mates phoned me up and said 'by the way you have won a laptop'.

And to cut a story short, I upgraded the RAM to 1GB and it does the job for me!

___

Fujitsu Siemens AMILO pro

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if any of these any good? Which one is the best? and/or give me alternatives? (Think the first one is similar to the one I asked about earlier in the thread)

(Sony Viao - NS Series)

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.ac...ry=VN+NS+Series

(Toshiba Satellite - L350-17P)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshiba_Sat...8EN/version.asp

(Samsung - R510)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_R51...EUK/version.asp

Cheers.

Same answer as DB11

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1520. Dells are good because you can customise them with anything you want (within the options they give you). So you can get exactly what you want.

:thumbup:
Same answer as DB11

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1520. Dells are good because you can customise them with anything you want (within the options they give you). So you can get exactly what you want.

Is the Samsung good, or just the best of the 3 choices?

I really do know fook all about Mega Bites, Giga Bites, Kilo Bites, e.t.c, I'd like to think I know how to do things on the computer/laptop but spec wise and technical wise I have no clue! lol

I liked the thought of a Dell, but when I asked the bloke in the shop where I had my current laptop looked at what brands or laptop he suggested and I mentioned Dell & Acer he said the basic models were no good so unless the budget is big steer clear. I dunno lol.

That Samsung does look good though and fairly cheap. Would it be fast? e.t.c?

Once again, Cheers.

I am a mac convert now. I have to say once you get over the compatibility issues they are just so so reliable, easy to use and lets face it, beautiful to look at.

I warn you though once you buy one apple product its hard to stop, I currently have an Iphone on order and bought an ipod when I got my macbook.

I am a mac convert now. I have to say once you get over the compatibility issues they are just so so reliable, easy to use and lets face it, beautiful to look at.

I warn you though once you buy one apple product its hard to stop, I currently have an Iphone on order and bought an ipod when I got my macbook.

And he's sucking up to get a job in the apple shop... its a disease... :P

I've got a Vaio CR series arounf £600 brand new a year ago, suited me fine for work and the occasional game :thumbup:

Is the Samsung good, or just the best of the 3 choices?

I really do know fook all about Mega Bites, Giga Bites, Kilo Bites, e.t.c, I'd like to think I know how to do things on the computer/laptop but spec wise and technical wise I have no clue! lol

I liked the thought of a Dell, but when I asked the bloke in the shop where I had my current laptop looked at what brands or laptop he suggested and I mentioned Dell & Acer he said the basic models were no good so unless the budget is big steer clear. I dunno lol.

That Samsung does look good though and fairly cheap. Would it be fast? e.t.c?

Once again, Cheers.

What you need to look at with the specs is the Hard Drive Memory (on the Samsung it is 250gb, which is good), The RAM/Memory- the bigger it is the quicker the computer is/more programs it can run. (3GB, which is very good) and the processor- which determines the overall performance of the computer (I'm not sure how good the processor is on the Samsung, ask DB11)

This laptop has very good specs. A lot better than the other 2 you were looking at. I would try Dell, to see what you could get for a similar amount of money. If you want, PM me with the details and I can make you one.... :)

What you need to look at with the specs is the Hard Drive Memory (on the Samsung it is 250gb, which is good), The RAM/Memory- the bigger it is the quicker the computer is/more programs it can run. (3GB, which is very good) and the processor- which determines the overall performance of the computer (I'm not sure how good the processor is on the Samsung, ask DB11)

This laptop has very good specs. A lot better than the other 2 you were looking at. I would try Dell, to see what you could get for a similar amount of money. If you want, PM me with the details and I can make you one.... :)

Cool, cheers, I'll have a look into Dell's when I get a chance, I quite like the look of the Samsung, and the specs seem good from you advice/description you gave so am quite tempted by it but in no huge rush yet and could do with abit more job security before buying one yet anyway.

Cool, cheers, I'll have a look into Dell's when I get a chance, I quite like the look of the Samsung, and the specs seem good from you advice/description you gave so am quite tempted by it but in no huge rush yet and could do with abit more job security before buying one yet anyway.

No problems, need any help, just ask :)

Save your money and get a mac, a few more £££'s for tonnes less hassle.

Just got my parents a refurb macbook for £550 from apple.

Don't get a Mac.

Get a mac.

Pc's are shitter cheaper, but you end up spending the extra money on repairs and virus/security software/services.

Ok for starters, what is the difference between a PC/Laptop and a Mac?

Also, knowing my luck i'd still have to spend money out on repairs and virus/security software/services regardless of it being a Laptop or a Mac.

Get a mac.

Pc's are shitter cheaper, but you end up spending the extra money on repairs and virus/security software/services.

Yes theyre shitter, and Macs are cooler, but it means buying all your software again for Mac.

And Babylon, correct me if I'm wrong, but compatability issues between PC and Mac?

Well after the theiving pikey smackhead twat nicked my HP Pavilion last month have just taken delivery of a Samsung R710 17" laptop as a replacement from the insurance company and so far am very pleased with it. Havent had time to do much with it so far but its looking good and fast as fook! :thumbup:

Archived