Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Laptop Advice.

Well after the theiving pikey smackhead twat nicked my HP Pavilion last month have just taken delivery of a Samsung R710 17" laptop as a replacement from the insurance company and so far am very pleased with it. Havent had time to do much with it so far but its looking good and fast as fook! :thumbup:

fast as fook, stez knows what the ladies like.

• 1 month later...

looking at getting a new pc/ laptop, would prefer a laptop as its easier to move around if you get me.

Got about £600 to spend £700 if i find a really good one.

a mac IS NOT an option.

so what would be the best laptop for around £600?

Mainly for surfing the net, itunes, footie manager etc etc

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/5...ops-_-position1

That one any good?

Well after the theiving pikey smackhead twat nicked my HP Pavilion last month have just taken delivery of a Samsung R710 17" laptop as a replacement from the insurance company and so far am very pleased with it. Havent had time to do much with it so far but its looking good and fast as fook! :thumbup:

Just wait until the first few viruses and trojans are making themselves heard... :ph34r:

looking at getting a new pc/ laptop, would prefer a laptop as its easier to move around if you get me.

Got about £600 to spend £700 if i find a really good one.

a mac IS NOT an option.

so what would be the best laptop for around £600?

Mainly for surfing the net, itunes, footie manager etc etc

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/5...ops-_-position1

That one any good?

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/5...tab/accessories

This ones better IMO. Very good graphics card and processor with plenty of hard disk space and 4gb ram.

To those that know things about laptops........

I will be getting my first laptop very soon and was just wondering if anyone could advise me on a decent laptop that would suit my needs. I've been looking around quite a bit but I only know the basic terminology and I'm really struggling to grasp what half the stuff is for laptops and computers nowadays.

Basically, I'm looking for a laptop ideally no more than £500 but willing to pay more if needs be. Could do with a decent size memory, probably 512MB would be sufficient but of course more is even better. I don't need a multimedia monster of a machine, as long as it can cope with football manager and basic windows media and real player then that will be fine. As with a lot of people, the main function will be for word processing and internet browsing. I'd rather stick with windows out of habit but if there are better alternatives I'm willing to look.

Maybe I'm being lazy but I've looked and it's all a bit more complex than the last time I went looking for a computer. Any pointers/advice/help would be much appreciated and gratefully received.

Get a good quality one, and get extended warranty if you want to avoid a lot of heartache. I've got an Acer, it's falling to bits despite only being 11 months old, started cocking up after the first month and the manufacturer and the retailer don't wanna know.

So what are ACER like then they seem seem to be the best value for money and have some good options to buy at reasonable prices, are they known for problems?

I've got an Acer, Must have had it for about 2 and half/3 years now, It's limping along now and i'm just looking for a replacement now (Hence why I started this thread) until now i've not had a problem, which for me and PC's/Laptops isn't bad at all, don't know what I do to PC's/Laptops but I always have problems but this has been very good I must say, As I said it's limping along now, Sound hasn't worked for a long time which is abit annoying (Looked at getting it fixed but apparently its the motherboard or something and it would cost a few pennies to get it fixed), The charger socker is abit dodgy but still works - but that is a common feature with Laptops anyway I believe? And it is running very slow despite have it cleaned out, so it's on it's way out but 2 and half/3 years good use out of it is pretty good I say, I could get it fixed but i've been told it's hardly worth spending money on Laptops to be fixed because you'll end up just chucking money at it from then on, and in the long run your better of getting a new one.

When I asked for advice for a new one, The bloke said stay away from Acer's - Don't know why, He just didn't rate them too much but based on this Laptop I have there not bad, Looking at or fancy a change of make anyway for my next Laptop, but if I saw an Acer at a really good offer i'd probably get one.

I've got an Acer, Must have had it for about 2 and half/3 years now, It's limping along now and i'm just looking for a replacement now (Hence why I started this thread) until now i've not had a problem, which for me and PC's/Laptops isn't bad at all, don't know what I do to PC's/Laptops but I always have problems but this has been very good I must say, As I said it's limping along now, Sound hasn't worked for a long time which is abit annoying (Looked at getting it fixed but apparently its the motherboard or something and it would cost a few pennies to get it fixed), The charger socker is abit dodgy but still works - but that is a common feature with Laptops anyway I believe? And it is running very slow despite have it cleaned out, so it's on it's way out but 2 and half/3 years good use out of it is pretty good I say, I could get it fixed but i've been told it's hardly worth spending money on Laptops to be fixed because you'll end up just chucking money at it from then on, and in the long run your better of getting a new one.

When I asked for advice for a new one, The bloke said stay away from Acer's - Don't know why, He just didn't rate them too much but based on this Laptop I have there not bad, Looking at or fancy a change of make anyway for my next Laptop, but if I saw an Acer at a really good offer i'd probably get one.

Did you end up buying one?

What you mean like this one

seems like a great deal for £490 to me

The Aspire 6530 packs the latest multimedia features running on the powerful AMD dual-core mobile technology processor. The brilliant 16" Full HD Acer CineCrystal display and advanced ATI Mobility Radeon graphics technology enhance the home entertainment experience. The Aspire 6530 continues the long line of Gemstone design that Acer is best known for, featuring striking design elements that are sure to make you stand out anywhere you go.

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

- Processor: AMD Turion X2 RM-72 2.10GHz 1MB Cache (800FSB)

- Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 512MB

- Memory: 4GB DDR2 RAM

- Hard Drive: 320GB SATA (5400RPM)

- Optical Drive: Blu-Ray

- Screen: 16.0" WXGA CineBrite LCD Widescreen (1366x768)

- Wireless LAN: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g & 802.11n

- Ethernet LAN: 10/100/1000

- Sound Controller: High Definition Audio

- Speakers: Stereo & Subwoofer

- Expansion: 54mm ExpressCard Slot

- Card Reader: SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card & xD-Picture Card

- Camera: 0.3 Megapixel

- Security: Biometric Fingerprint Reader & Kensington Lock Slot

- Connections: 4x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x RJ-11, 1x RJ-45, 1x Microphone & 1x Speakers/Headphones

- Battery: 8-Cell Lithium-Ion

- Dimensions: 385.0mm x 277.5mm x 43.9mm

- Weight: 3.5kg

- Warranty: 1 Year

What you mean like this one

seems like a great deal for £490 to me

The Aspire 6530 packs the latest multimedia features running on the powerful AMD dual-core mobile technology processor. The brilliant 16" Full HD Acer CineCrystal display and advanced ATI Mobility Radeon graphics technology enhance the home entertainment experience. The Aspire 6530 continues the long line of Gemstone design that Acer is best known for, featuring striking design elements that are sure to make you stand out anywhere you go.

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

- Processor: AMD Turion X2 RM-72 2.10GHz 1MB Cache (800FSB)

- Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 512MB

- Memory: 4GB DDR2 RAM

- Hard Drive: 320GB SATA (5400RPM)

- Optical Drive: Blu-Ray

- Screen: 16.0" WXGA CineBrite LCD Widescreen (1366x768)

- Wireless LAN: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g & 802.11n

- Ethernet LAN: 10/100/1000

- Sound Controller: High Definition Audio

- Speakers: Stereo & Subwoofer

- Expansion: 54mm ExpressCard Slot

- Card Reader: SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card & xD-Picture Card

- Camera: 0.3 Megapixel

- Security: Biometric Fingerprint Reader & Kensington Lock Slot

- Connections: 4x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x RJ-11, 1x RJ-45, 1x Microphone & 1x Speakers/Headphones

- Battery: 8-Cell Lithium-Ion

- Dimensions: 385.0mm x 277.5mm x 43.9mm

- Weight: 3.5kg

- Warranty: 1 Year

That sounds very good.

Personally, I'd recommend you avoid HP/Compaq laptops. I've just replaced mine (bout 2 years old, and very much on its last legs!). To be fair, the actual 'system' bits and bobs were ok but the build quality was appalling. Just after its 12 month warranty ran out the wireless stopped working, 2 of the USB ports failed, the CD 'tray' fell out every time it opened and the screen had lines running down it. The final straw was when the power connection point got loose so the only way you could use the thing was to fiddle with the connection until it started charging, then keep the machine absolutely still - the slightest movement and the connection went again. Oh, and the battery was useless from the word go - it drained in less than 10 mins. So, yeah, I'd never buy another one, to be honest.

I've just got a Dell Studio 1555 for £499, inc shipping.

Very happy indeed so far. Seems much better built than the HP and has a higher spec. Link to Dell site

I went for the 2nd one along which has:

Base

Intel® Pentium® Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English

LCD

Learn More

15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife

Video Card

512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

Specifications - Video Card

Memory

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

Hard Drive

320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Optical Devices

Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software

Enhanced Service Packs

1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return

Windows 7 Upgrade Eligible

I pretty much stuck with the standard package although, being Dell, there are various add-on options you can choose if you want to tweak or upgrade the base system. (For a cost) Definitely worth considering, imo.

Only 'downside' that I can see with buying a Dell direct from the manufacturer is that you do have to wait a while to receive it (they quote up to 14 working days, I think, although I received mine in a little over a week). They are, however, cheaper and better spec'd if you get them from Dell, rather than via PC World, Currys etc.

Oh, and did I mention....? It's purple!! :P:cool::giggle:

That's what sold it to you really wasn't it none of that nonsense about memory, hard drive etc it came down to being able to choose your own colour didn't it!! :D

nothing wrong with that though

That's what sold it to you really wasn't it none of that nonsense about memory, hard drive etc it came down to being able to choose your own colour didn't it!! :D

nothing wrong with that though

:yesyes: Absolutely. :P:blush:

Did you end up buying one?

No i've not got a new one yet, Still struggling along with the one I have (I say struggling - it's not actually that bad, No Sound is abit annoying, It's quite slow but not all that bad).

The thing I don't like about laptops nowadays is that they keep increasing the size of the screen - 15.4/15.6" is now the norm, which is a pretty big size when it comes to portability. I bought my Samsung 12.1" laptop (not a netbook) about 2 months ago and had to pay a premium for getting a small screen. Laptops nowadays are more like desktop replacements.

The thing I don't like about laptops nowadays is that they keep increasing the size of the screen - 15.4/15.6" is now the norm, which is a pretty big size when it comes to portability. I bought my Samsung 12.1" laptop (not a netbook) about 2 months ago and had to pay a premium for getting a small screen. Laptops nowadays are more like desktop replacements.

In fairness, it all depends on how you want to use it, I guess. Mine is a desktop replacement, and I rarely take it places so portability isn't a big deal really. Does seem unfair that those who want smaller screens for the portability element have to pay a premium though. :mellow:

No i've not got a new one yet, Still struggling along with the one I have (I say struggling - it's not actually that bad, No Sound is abit annoying, It's quite slow but not all that bad).

Can you plug a pair of old speakers into it for the sound problem?

Archived