Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Advice on the world of computing

Hi

I'm a student currently studying National Award for IT Practioners. I'm close to completing the first year however I wish to broaden my knowledge of the computing, I am considering buying magazines but they are either too expensive or too advanced for my taste- I'll admit I'm not the brighest tool in the class and I have many other hobbies outside of the classroom while some ofd my classmates study computers in their spare time and become more knowledgeable in them but I would like to learn more about computing such as knowing which is the best graphics card or how to fix a dodgy hard disk or set up a network etc- I have a little knowledge so I was wondering that anyone can help me with useful magazines,websites or just general advice? Thanks

Hi

I'm a student currently studying National Award for IT Practioners. I'm close to completing the first year however I wish to broaden my knowledge of the computing, I am considering buying magazines but they are either too expensive or too advanced for my taste- I'll admit I'm not the brighest tool in the class and I have many other hobbies outside of the classroom while some ofd my classmates study computers in their spare time and become more knowledgeable in them but I would like to learn more about computing such as knowing which is the best graphics card or how to fix a dodgy hard disk or set up a network etc- I have a little knowledge so I was wondering that anyone can help me with useful magazines,websites or just general advice? Thanks

Get an Nvidia 9500GT with 1gb side RAM. Awesome card, gives max setting on Bioshock with no problems. If your wallet can stretch further then you'll need to shell out at least £200 for something noticeably better.

I keep an eye out on various technology sites - I don't bother with magazines much as all the info is available quicker online. I have these mainly via RSS feeds via Google so I can keep up to date. In terms of components etc, I took advantage of the 3 issues for £1 offer for Computer Shopper and think it's pretty good. I learn a lot from reading the help topics on there. I've given a few links below:

Computer Weekly

BetaNews

Computer Shopper

Computer World

Nice one :P

Will set up RBS feed soon however I was wondering how do you lot build up your knowledge of IT?

Over last summer I worked for free in a computer shop and learnt a lot doing that. Also, it got me a Saturday job so now I continue learning and get paid :D

Maybe look at some A+ books. A+ is an entry level qualification for a PC technician, you don't have to do the exams if you don't want to but you would learn alot from studying the books for it and if you did decide you wanted to go into it as a career then you would be prepared for it. Best one is 'A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition', Mike Meyers. bit pricey though.

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comp...ide/index.shtml as got alot of info on, not as in depth but would save you buying the book.

Archived