Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hitesh

Windows 7

Everyone who has brought Windows 7, are you currently using Vista or still on XP?

Just interested to see because I am running Windows XP with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor and want to purchase Windows 7 but am not sure whether to buy a new motherboard first.

Anyway, are you currently using Vista, what motherboard have you got and what processor are you working with?

Cheers,

Everyone who has brought Windows 7, are you currently using Vista or still on XP?

Just interested to see because I am running Windows XP with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor and want to purchase Windows 7 but am not sure whether to buy a new motherboard first.

Anyway, are you currently using Vista, what motherboard have you got and what processor are you working with?

Cheers,

You should be good to go for Windows 7, if you are using Vista then expect a slight performance increase. Here are the requirements.

I am using vista and I have a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L with a Socket 775 Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Cheers,

Easy way to check is to download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor .......... from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I think I will be going with Amazon too, the cheapest I found too. Cheers mate. :thumbup:

For those buying from Amazon, don't forget to go via the 'Shopping' link on this forum so Mark FoxesTalk gets lots of lovely money. :D:cool:

You should be good to go for Windows 7, if you are using Vista then expect a slight performance increase. Here are the requirements.

I am using vista and I have a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L with a Socket 775 Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Easy way to check is to download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor .......... from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Cheers guys :thumbup:

Cheers but that link doesn't work either lol

What's wrong with my system...

lol Thought that would be the case..

What message do you get when you try and load the page? Have you tried another browser - IE/Firefox??

lol Thought that would be the case..

What message do you get when you try and load the page? Have you tried another browser - IE/Firefox??

It states that the downloading will start... nothing happens.

'If downloading doesn't start click here' - Thats what I do, and then a page comes up saying Page Cannot Be Displayed :@:@

No worries!

Can you run W7?

Well my desktop, no. I didn't even run the program you sent me on that because I knew that wouldn't be strong enough so I am buying a new motherboard and processor and all that and building a new desktop and then I'll try it.

On my laptop, haven't tried it yet because I have been tied up with everything lol But I'll get round tonight to do it - anyway, I am selling my laptop so it doesn't matter anyway really.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another quick question here, right I am or should I say upgrading my current desktop PC, which includes purchasing Windows 7.

I am currently looking at a few motherboards, AM3 sockets in particular, that are retailing for under £50.00. Now, on eBuyer it does say that the operating system for this motherboard is Windows XP/Vista but can I upgrade to Windows 7 or does it have to say that I can upgrade Windows 7?

I have checked all the requirements and that but just wondered if on the 'overview' of the motherboard on eBuyer, it has to say Windows 7 upgrade or something like that, where as it only says XP/Vista.

Also, if I can't find a motherboard for Windows 7, is Windows Vista any good?

Just another quick question here, right I am or should I say upgrading my current desktop PC, which includes purchasing Windows 7.

I am currently looking at a few motherboards, AM3 sockets in particular, that are retailing for under £50.00. Now, on eBuyer it does say that the operating system for this motherboard is Windows XP/Vista but can I upgrade to Windows 7 or does it have to say that I can upgrade Windows 7?

I have checked all the requirements and that but just wondered if on the 'overview' of the motherboard on eBuyer, it has to say Windows 7 upgrade or something like that, where as it only says XP/Vista.

Also, if I can't find a motherboard for Windows 7, is Windows Vista any good?

Motherboards aren't locked to 1 Operating System. Most motherboards run pretty much any OS which has obviously been installed on the HDD.

Few things to note about buying a new motherboard but you probably already know this.

If your buying a different one to the one you already have, make sure that the processor will be compatible, I'm not really a fan of AMD boards but make sure that the Proc is the right socket for the mobo.

RAM Compatibility, DIMM slots and such also some mobos can only take so much RAM, E.g 4GB and up to a certain speed 1066mhz.

Make sure it can fit in your case, some rectangular mobos wont fit in normal stock cases.

Make sure you check your heatsink, graphics card compatibility like PCI-E.

Are you upgrading your motherboard because you have limited the capabilities of your old one?

About Windows 7 compatibility, you should be able to, although as I said unless you have a really really old motherboard, it shouldn't affect the compatibility.

Motherboards aren't locked to 1 Operating System. Most motherboards run pretty much any OS which has obviously been installed on the HDD.

Few things to note about buying a new motherboard but you probably already know this.

If your buying a different one to the one you already have, make sure that the processor will be compatible, I'm not really a fan of AMD boards but make sure that the Proc is the right socket for the mobo.

RAM Compatibility, DIMM slots and such also some mobos can only take so much RAM, E.g 4GB and up to a certain speed 1066mhz.

Make sure it can fit in your case, some rectangular mobos wont fit in normal stock cases.

Make sure you check your heatsink, graphics card compatibility like PCI-E.

Are you upgrading your motherboard because you have limited the capabilities of your old one?

About Windows 7 compatibility, you should be able to, although as I said unless you have a really really old motherboard, it shouldn't affect the compatibility.

I am upgrading my motherboard because I don't think that you can change your processor direct can you? :dunno:

Right, my motherboard is now 4 years old I think. I know you said you are not a AMD fan, but I have a AMD Athlon x64 processor which, although it was the best of the best when it came out, is obviousley now not as fast as what I want it to be - and the RAM is a bit expensive for the motherboard because of it's old age.

So, yes, limited capabilities? You could say that, I mean upgrading to a 2GB RAM could be something like £80 where as I could get a new motherboard for less than that (I know I have to pay more for the new RAM, hard drive, graphics card, o.s. etc but I am willing to take a chance there)!

But, ok then, could I replace my current processor with a new AMD one - phenom I want?? Without it affecting the motherboard or what??

Otherwise, still looking at motherboards in my magazine and the internet.

I am upgrading my motherboard because I don't think that you can change your processor direct can you? :dunno:

Right, my motherboard is now 4 years old I think. I know you said you are not a AMD fan, but I have a AMD Athlon x64 processor which, although it was the best of the best when it came out, is obviousley now not as fast as what I want it to be - and the RAM is a bit expensive for the motherboard because of it's old age.

So, yes, limited capabilities? You could say that, I mean upgrading to a 2GB RAM could be something like £80 where as I could get a new motherboard for less than that (I know I have to pay more for the new RAM, hard drive, graphics card, o.s. etc but I am willing to take a chance there)!

But, ok then, could I replace my current processor with a new AMD one - phenom I want?? Without it affecting the motherboard or what??

Otherwise, still looking at motherboards in my magazine and the internet.

To be honest, I haven't really messed around with an AMD based machine so my knowledge is more limited as I generally somehow always mess with Intel :D About the Processors, you can directly change them yes but you need one which will be compatible with the board. To know if it is compatible, you'll need to know what socket is on your motherboard and buy a proc with that socket type. Sometimes even if the proc fits in the socket, if its an old motherboard then it may not work with a new processor. Personally I couldn't tell the difference with AMD processors so I mean I'm not sure what socket type a Phenom or Athlon is. Regardless of whether you buy a new motherboard or just a new processor you will need to put one in and using a thermal paste. There's usually vids on youtube if your unsure about that.

About the RAM, is yours DDR1 or DDR2? If it DDR1, then for now its pretty slow and obviously you need a new motherboard to get DDR2.

Sorry the answers not as helpful as I said I prefer Intel :D

To be honest, I haven't really messed around with an AMD based machine so my knowledge is more limited as I generally somehow always mess with Intel :D About the Processors, you can directly change them yes but you need one which will be compatible with the board. To know if it is compatible, you'll need to know what socket is on your motherboard and buy a proc with that socket type. Sometimes even if the proc fits in the socket, if its an old motherboard then it may not work with a new processor. Personally I couldn't tell the difference with AMD processors so I mean I'm not sure what socket type a Phenom or Athlon is. Regardless of whether you buy a new motherboard or just a new processor you will need to put one in and using a thermal paste. There's usually vids on youtube if your unsure about that.

About the RAM, is yours DDR1 or DDR2? If it DDR1, then for now its pretty slow and obviously you need a new motherboard to get DDR2.

Sorry the answers not as helpful as I said I prefer Intel :D

Yes, usually mess about with that thermal paste at college when we place new processors in and that.

My RAM is DDR1 so yes pretty slow, hence, looking for a new motherboard.

Don't matter about the answers you gave because they did help but, Intel <_< lol

- AMD all the way :P

Whats your spec?

512 mb RAM - upgrading

AMD Athlon 64 processor - not sure about upgrading, depends if I need a new processor

Windows XP Home edition (5.1)

What else do you want to know, this is off the top of my head as I am on my other system lol

512 mb RAM - upgrading

AMD Athlon 64 processor - not sure about upgrading, depends if I need a new processor

What else do you want to know, this is off the top of my head as I am on my other system lol

Yeah upgrade ya ram to a 2gb stick and it should run it ok.

512 mb RAM - upgrading

Sounds more like for a hundred pounds more than the cost of 7 you could buy a better spec laptop.

Sounds more like for a hundred pounds more than the cost of 7 you could buy a better spec laptop.

Thats my desktop, and I want to sell my laptop to generate money to build my own system up.

Has anyone got a download to the Windows 7 upgrade advisor thing that actually works.

FFS, I installed it on my system and it said 'cant work, upgrade a newer version of the advisor' or something like that! :@

Archived