Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

COD Modern Warfare 2

Tbh, I only pre-order to ensure I will get the game. When I really, really want it, I pre-order it and then if it has not come on release date, I go and buy it from a shop (if they haven't sold out) and when my Play.com order arrives, take the package to the shop I bought a game from and say I had already been bought it as a present and return the new game with the original receipt.

Always worked :)

From The Telegraph review.

Great news, this was a real bug-bear in COD4...

Another handy addition to online multiplayer, is in-game host migration. If a match host (usually on the losing side) decides to leave the game, the mode won't reset to the main lobby as in COD4, but will instead select a new host from the remaining players and the game continues.

There are also some special ops missions which unlock after the campaign. 23 of these in all. Can be done on and offline. Sounds pretty cool.

What hype this game has had over (probably) about the last year. So, does it live up to the hype?

For me its a resounding YES. Infinity ward could have rested on their laurels, churned out a re-skinned CoD4 and cashed in the mega bucks (like Treyarch did with World at War), but no. From 5 hours play today, I can assure you that isnt the case. The question is, what could Infinity Ward do with a tired genre? Anything groundbreaking? Well, no to be honest. I dont think the tech is there to do something truly remarkable as of yet.

But what IW have done is taken everything that worked so well in CoD4 (most things), took out the things that didnt work/made them work (in game host migration, kill streak rewards that were un-usable if you got then next one), and added things things that just make the whole thing a better package.

Lets take for example the prestige - its now 75 and not 55 like CoD4 - much better. The final levels of prestige should only be for the hardcore or good players. Perks - they've kept the best perks and added better, more balanced ones (bye bye juggernaut), and perks are now upgradeable themselves.

Its the same for weapon add on's - there is now a hell of a lot more variety (theres a fucking heart beat sensor attachment for God's sake!), and I belive sniper rifles can now be silenced which I thought was a massive downside in CoD4.

The maps seem big and complex - often there's lots of different levels/floors on the maps, which makes memorising them a lot harder - its gonna take a while to get used to each map for sure. But they are just more intricate, seems to be a little bit fairer with snipers now aswel (no. of decent spots per map).

Theres only a few downsides. No achievements again for multiplayer, the martyrdom perk gets another run out and theres still the little American helmets that scream like little girls down the mic. But hey ho!

Its good to finally have a successor to in my opinion the greatest multiplayer first person shooter ever made, CoD4. MW2 does everything that CoD4 does, but sounds, looks and plays better overall. Even the little things, like grenades now smash and go through window. On one of the maps, there's some chickens in cages clucking around and if you shoot them, they die. Just little things like that.

Overall, is it worth £32? If you don't think a successor to CoD4 is not worth that, you need your head looking at, and i've not even touched the single player.

Just go and buy it

Archived