Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Operating System Software Ownership

Just over 2 years ago I bought a laptop for in excess of £600 which is now totally useless.

As is often the case these days it came with no hard disks with everything loaded onto it.

I've just been in contact with the suppliers to find out how I can retrieve a copy of Vista Home Premium to use on a new PC and was informed that the software was only licensed for that PC.

When did this happen, surely if I purchased the software I own it.

£600 and I don't even own the software FFS.

The world of business is the biggest rip of since Captain Blackbeard roamed the oceans - robbing rip off bastards!!!!

Download Vista and burn it onto a disc. Then, during the installation process on whatever, input the code from your laptop.

The Vista files are the same for whatever version, it just depends on what product key you enter as to what files get "unlocked".

Download Vista and burn it onto a disc. Then, during the installation process on whatever, input the code from your laptop.

The Vista files are the same for whatever version, it just depends on what product key you enter as to what files get "unlocked".

I haven't got a code though :dunno:

Right click My Computer, then select properties, the code should be at the bottom of the box that opens, under Activation

Not sure if this will work on a pere-installed version though!

Problem is the PC is fooked and it doesn't boot up anymore.

I haven't got a code though :dunno:

You should have it on the bottom of the laptop. If it isn't, then it's illegal and the people you bought it off could be in trouble if you report it etc.

You should have it on the bottom of the laptop. If it isn't, then it's illegal and the people you bought it off could be in trouble if you report it etc.

Ok - found that :sweating::thumbup: Thanks

So what's the difference between the Product ID displayed in Properties under Windows Activation & Product Key displayed on a label on the underside of the laptop - needless to say I haven't got the Product ID for the bust laptop.

Ok - found that :sweating::thumbup: Thanks

So what's the difference between the Product ID displayed in Properties under Windows Activation & Product Key displayed on a label on the underside of the laptop - needless to say I haven't got the Product ID for the bust laptop.

The product key on the underside of your laptop is used to activate Windows. Once Windows is activated, you should get a product ID from Windows, just as confirmation it has been activated. When activating Windows, you should always activate it using the key on the underside of your laptop, as this is the only 1 that will work.

The product key on the underside of your laptop is used to activate Windows. Once Windows is activated, you should get a product ID from Windows, just as confirmation it has been activated. When activating Windows, you should always activate it using the key on the underside of your laptop, as this is the only 1 that will work.

So if I download Vista Home Premium and save it to a disc I can install that on a new PC and use the currently redundant Product Key?

Anyone know of a site where I can download and save a copy?

So if I download Vista Home Premium and save it to a disc I can install that on a new PC and use the currently redundant Product Key?

It'd be a torrent :unsure:

Yes, in theory this should work, but you must download exactly the OS that the key is meant for, otherwise it wont work.

Just find a torrent, along the lines of "Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (x86) (That's if the product key from your laptop is for 32bit). Download it, using torrent software such as utorrent or something.

Then once, that has downloaded, I am guessing it will come in an ".iso" format, you will need to burn that to a Blank CDR. You can burn this by using ISO burning software. I dont know any off the top off my head so just google "free ISO burner".

Once, this has been burnt to CD, reboot your computer and follow the steps. If you want a clean install, I advise you format your hard drive and Install the OS on that unallocated space.

Once it comes up, just enter the Product Key into the box. When you activate Windows, you can do it over the internet or you can ring Microsoft free (its a computer) with the 0800 number they provide.

If you need any more help, don't be afraid to ask.

Yes, in theory this should work, but you must download exactly the OS that the key is meant for, otherwise it wont work.

Just find a torrent, along the lines of "Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (x86) (That's if the product key from your laptop is for 32bit). Download it, using torrent software such as utorrent or something.

Then once, that has downloaded, I am guessing it will come in an ".iso" format, you will need to burn that to a Blank CDR. You can burn this by using ISO burning software. I dont know any off the top off my head so just google "free ISO burner".

Once, this has been burnt to CD, reboot your computer and follow the steps. If you want a clean install, I advise you format your hard drive and Install the OS on that unallocated space.

Once it comes up, just enter the Product Key into the box. When you activate Windows, you can do it over the internet or you can ring Microsoft free (its a computer) with the 0800 number they provide.

If you need any more help, don't be afraid to ask.

Would one of these do?

http://www.torrentroom.com/torrent/230975-...remium-zip.html

No you don't. Not with Vista. Trust me, just get Vista files eg. any Vista disc and then the produt key you input will "unlock" certain features / files.

No you don't. Not with Vista. Trust me, just get Vista files eg. any Vista disc and then the produt key you input will "unlock" certain features / files.

So steer me in the right direction.

This from the supplier:

please note that this is due to Copyright legislation and that the software installed is for that appliance only.

This from an independent PC supplier / service provider:

The Operating system from your old computer if its an OEM License ( as most are ) is not transferable from one computer to another. Doing so would be illegal and its not a practice we can endorse.

So it would seem to be illegal. :dunno:

You're probably right. Although, in my experience with XP, you have always needed the right product key. Meh.

This from the supplier:

This from an independent PC supplier / service provider:

So it would seem to be illegal. :dunno:

Yes it is illegal, but if you are not using the laptop what difference is it?

You're probably right. Although, in my experience with XP, you have always needed the right product key. Meh.

Yes it is illegal, but if you are not using the laptop what difference is it?

I agree as I said in the first post in fact I'm bloody furious about the whole rip off status of businesses these days, customer service and value for money are a vanishing concept.

I agree as I said in the first post in fact I'm bloody furious about the whole rip off status of businesses these days, customer service and value for money are a vanishing concept.

davieG, if you like I could send you my Vista DVD to save the hassle?

davieG, if you like I could send you my Vista DVD to save the hassle?

That would be sweet considering I'm currently trying to download the torrent using Limewire with and extreamly slow laptop and it's indicating 2 more days to download it :crylaugh:

Would I be able to copy it as I haven't replaced my pc yet, I'm still looking at the options.

That would be sweet considering I'm currently trying to download the torrent using Limewire with and extreamly slow laptop and it's indicating 2 more days to download it :crylaugh:

Would I be able to copy it as I haven't replaced my pc yet, I'm still looking at the options.

Keep it, I can copy it :)

Its Vista SP1, I think SP2 is out, so Automatic Updates should update it for you. :thumbup:

Keep it, I can copy it :)

Its Vista SP1, I think SP2 is out, so Automatic Updates should update it for you. :thumbup:

Thanks, I've sent you a PM

Archived