Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Operating System Software Ownership

I guess with a PC you'll know all the software will be compatible.

That's the big problem I was rather hoping that second product which let's you run windows apps on a mac would act as a go between until such time as I replaced it. The other thing is that MS stuff is more readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

How much of a problem is this likely to be:

Are you aware that if your installation disc has 'OEM' or mentions that it's only

for supply with a new computer you could be breaking Microsoft's terms? If

it is OEM and has been used with a PC the licence will be registered at

Microsoft along with a hardware signature from that PC so that any attempt

to re-authenticate would prove problematic.

It should work fine, I have used that disc on many PC's. Just enter your key, where it prompts it, and it should accept it. When you load up Windows to activate it, you can just activate it online or by ringing them up for free. Even if activation was rejected, which it wont be - there are still ways around it. Tbh, I highly doubt that every time that disc has been used with, it has been rewritten to say it can't be used again, as it is a DVD-R. Also, I have activated the same product key on 2 different machines and it worked fine. :thumbup:

I've used my OEM on multiple computers and it's worked fine.

Hardware ID changes when you make hardware changes, so you could just say you changed hard drive or got more RAM?? :dunno:

Even going from a laptop to desktop :dunno:

It'll be fine. The hardware differences from a laptop to a desktop aren't that drastic. It will run on the hardware its given, whether its a laptop or desktop makes no difference. Stop worrying so much :P

Only just seen the thread dG, any problems then drop me a PM and I can throw a perfectly workable copy of Vista Business at you.

Macs will offer you a reliable solution as they'll break down less and then if they do the support will be superior...but then you pay extra for that.

Hope everything sorts itself out.

Only just seen the thread dG, any problems then drop me a PM and I can throw a perfectly workable copy of Vista Business at you.

Macs will offer you a reliable solution as they'll break down less and then if they do the support will be superior...but then you pay extra for that.

Hope everything sorts itself out.

Any viewpoint on this combo - http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.ph...t&p=1390652

I don't see the point in Fusion2 - unless you have a load of Windows packages you paid for and wish to keep using.

If it's only Office then why not buy Office for Macs?

...and then Stephen is right, you could always try Ubuntu - it is easy to use, free and has free stuff to put on it. Did I mention the 'easy' and the 'free' bits?

I don't see the point in Fusion2 - unless you have a load of Windows packages you paid for and wish to keep using.

If it's only Office then why not buy Office for Macs?

...and then Stephen is right, you could always try Ubuntu - it is easy to use, free and has free stuff to put on it. Did I mention the 'easy' and the 'free' bits?

That's the problem it's not just MS Office, I've got Paintshop Pro, Video capture - GrabbeeX, Video Editing - Cyberlink, Music Editing - Cool Edit Pro & Dreamweaver . I cant' afford to replace all of them.

Do these other OS run this MS based stuff?

I never find anything to do with PCs 'easy' to use something always goes tits up. Did I mention the 'always' bit?

I'm just pissed off with MS and the thought of moving to apple does appeal although I can't afford it to be too costly.

I'm just pissed off with MS and the thought of moving to apple does appeal although I can't afford it to be too costly.

There's your decision made then...unless you embrace the Dark Side and start pirating software like other people do. :devil:

You can get Windows programs to run in Linux, I used to use WINE - but it's relative ease is down to experimenting. As Stephen said, you can lob in a DVD and run the Linux from that without a full install to see if you could live with it.

Failing that, buy a Mac and use hooky replacement packages or buy Steve Jobs a new house.

Or stay with Vista...but there's a 'decent' Windows OS coming shortly. And by that I mean it will probably be bug-ridden! :D

Archived