Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
grth2004

empires 100 greatest games

Shame to see WoW in the top five, that's lazy journalism imo.

Yes, it has 12m players but it isn't a brilliant and ground-breaking game. It was just the next natural step in the life of MMOs, it's not going to be one-in-a-million and it isn't even the game that started the MMO craze.

I think lazy journalism is harsh, I think that's quite a discerning and thorough list. WoW is always gonna be prominent, the word phenomenon is the correct, regardless of the actual quality of the game it's had a huge impact on not only the gaming industry but possibly encroaching into others as well.

Surprised the Pokemon franchise didn't make it on.

Eternal Darkness being in there is genius, if any of you haven't played it and have a Gamecube knocking around, go buy it from CEx for about £4, it's amazing. One of the most criminally underrated games ever.

They could have just done a list! I gave up after the top 50.

But where is Morrowind? Or CM/FM? Or the original Virtua Tennis, one of the greatest "pick-up-and-play" games ever?

And Deus Ex at 40? Ico at 46? Give me a break!

In fact, it's very RPG heavy (this from someone who loves RPGs) - I suggest that Empire journalist (who of course review films) like their games to have story lines.

I'm not saying it shouldn't make the list, I just think calling it one of the top five games of all time is a bit silly.

To me to get in the top five it should have a lasting impact, sure, but it should also be a great, great game to play. I don't know if you've ever sat and given WoW a go but, to be honest.. it really isn't. :P

Even most addicts will tell you it's a technically poor game really.

I'm not saying it shouldn't make the list, I just think calling it one of the top five games of all time is a bit silly.

To me to get in the top five it should have a lasting impact, sure, but it should also be a great, great game to play. I don't know if you've ever sat and given WoW a go but, to be honest.. it really isn't. :P

Even most addicts will tell you it's a technically poor game really.

I actually think it's a very good game

Good social aspect to it (*cue laughter*)

Lots to do - there's always something you need to do, another storyline to explore

Graphics are quite impressive

etc.

So CM(/FM?) get's one spot yet MGS, Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil all get several spots? What the .... is that about? And Diablo 1 was far more innovative and groundbreaking than it's successor. They find Day of the Tentacle to be the best point and click game by LucasArts, yet Monkey Island ranks far higher? Daytona USA over TOCA 2 and NFS? Where's Carmageddon? Dune 2? The Heroes franchise? etc. etc.... Pah!

I think lazy journalism is harsh, I think that's quite a discerning and thorough list. WoW is always gonna be prominent, the word phenomenon is the correct, regardless of the actual quality of the game it's had a huge impact on not only the gaming industry but possibly encroaching into others as well.

Surprised the Pokemon franchise didn't make it on.

Eternal Darkness being in there is genius, if any of you haven't played it and have a Gamecube knocking around, go buy it from CEx for about £4, it's amazing. One of the most criminally underrated games ever.

The Wii can run Gamecube games. I'm still ploughing through Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on it. So this Eternal Darkness should be possible on Wii.

73 - not sure whether that one should've made it into the Top100, for I find it the weakest of the "modern" series

69 - one of the best PC RPGs ever made, loved every minute of its classy humour (this should've been a movie)

68 - totally underrated, the atmosphere created by the music for instance, gave me shivers when I played it back in the days.

47 - my favourite ego shooter. You couldn't just go from point A to B, but had to solve puzzles and the boss fights were outstanding.

25 - omg, how it made me jump my seat more than just once. First time the dogs came through the windows, I almost faded. lol

2 - 'nuff said. Should've been Number one. It is on my list, anyway. :thumbup:

What Rome, Gauntlet, Grim Fandango, Knights Of The Old Republic, Tie Fighter, Planescape or Left 4 Dead are doing in that list, I don't know.

Other than that, yes, tons of memories, both home and arcade, pleasant and frustrating ones, connected to some of the names.

P.S. Phube: I know, shocking to find out I once was a Nintendo boy... lol

Wow that list brings back some memories!!

EDIT - Just finished reading the list properly and the first thing i'm going to do tonight now is find my copy of civilisation. Was a little bit surprised at some of the more modern games that were in there wouldnt have put them anywhere near that high

73 - not sure whether that one should've made it into the Top100, for I find it the weakest of the "modern" series

69 - one of the best PC RPGs ever made, loved every minute of its classy humour (this should've been a movie)

68 - totally underrated, the atmosphere created by the music for instance, gave me shivers when I played it back in the days.

47 - my favourite ego shooter. You couldn't just go from point A to B, but had to solve puzzles and the boss fights were outstanding.

25 - omg, how it made me jump my seat more than just once. First time the dogs came through the windows, I almost faded. lol

2 - 'nuff said. Should've been Number one. It is on my list, anyway. :thumbup:

What Rome, Gauntlet, Grim Fandango, Knights Of The Old Republic, Tie Fighter, Planescape or Left 4 Dead are doing in that list, I don't know.

Other than that, yes, tons of memories, both home and arcade, pleasant and frustrating ones, connected to some of the names.

P.S. Phube: I know, shocking to find out I once was a Nintendo boy... lol

lol They're all quality games, Grim Fandango is criminally underated.

Number 1- simply the best platformer of all time

WoW- easily criticised but the original game is great.

Also im glad Goldeneye got a good place because it one of my favourites of all time

Archived