Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
grth2004

empires 100 greatest games

Is GTA on the list?

Looking through a 100 games is never happening.

Although I'm not happy with Worms' position, loved that game.

III and IV are, no sign of GTA or GTA II

Which is fair enough I suppose they were good but they weren't that good.

Surpsied Warcraft II or III didn't get in.

Some baffling decisions in my opinion. You can tell they're a films magazine anyway that's all I'll say. Sim City 2000 should have been higher for a start! lol

73 - not sure whether that one should've made it into the Top100, for I find it the weakest of the "modern" series

69 - one of the best PC RPGs ever made, loved every minute of its classy humour (this should've been a movie)

68 - totally underrated, the atmosphere created by the music for instance, gave me shivers when I played it back in the days.

47 - my favourite ego shooter. You couldn't just go from point A to B, but had to solve puzzles and the boss fights were outstanding.

25 - omg, how it made me jump my seat more than just once. First time the dogs came through the windows, I almost faded. lol

2 - 'nuff said. Should've been Number one. It is on my list, anyway. :thumbup:

What Rome, Gauntlet, Grim Fandango, Knights Of The Old Republic, Tie Fighter, Planescape or Left 4 Dead are doing in that list, I don't know.

How can you be surprised by Grim Fandango and Rome!? One of the Total War series had to go down, I'd probably have put them down as one entity to be honest but that might be my personal bias because Rome was my least favourite. But those games are utterly groundbreaking. And Grim Fandango, as has been said already, is one of the most mamothly underrated games of all time!

As for FF8 - I'v had this argument with people over and over and over. It's my favourite of the series - I prefer it to 7. The only reason 8 is so commonly frowned upon is that it had to follow 7 which was hugely popular. Eight was a huge graphical step up (not least because it used 'real' people), it had an absolutely monumental storyline, world, music and some great characters (and the card game!!) Yes, the draw system was a bit weak and combat was repetitive but it was - in terms of the actual story - one of the best they've ever done. Utterly epic, utterly brilliant. I fell in love with it in a big, big way. It would have made a better film than a game, that's the only flaw.

Agree with you on monkey island but I don't think Metroid is underrated at all. Maybe it's just because I know a lot of Nintendo nerds but frankly I'd say it's the opposite. I'd say it's ridiculously overhyped for a fairly average title in my opinion. It was pretty interesting on the Wii because they made a massive effort to incorporate the remotes but all previous titles really uninspired me personally.

Having Left for Dead higher than Chrono Trigger's a bit insulting mind! And ICO! There's an undervalued release! I love how much higher Sensible is to both FIFA and Pro Evo, too, hahaha. \o/ Baldurs Gate 2 :cool: Should have been higher than Torment, though, imo!

Biggest casualty frm this list, though, seriously:

alice_1.jpg

WoW- easily criticised but the original game is great.

Easily criticised because it isn't a very good game. It's immensely well marketed but it isn't a brilliant stand alone piece of software. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing it for the obvious nerd-related reasons, I've actually played it a fair bit whilst at uni because my flat mates were addicts in a big way. Even they'll tell you - it isn't a great game but it is a clever social innovation. I do believe it deserves to be in the top 100. But a top five, even a top ten? Long stretch to me, and a bit of an insult to games designers. Especially with such genuinely great titles from the same developer (Starcraft, hello!?) so far down.

As for FF8 - I'v had this argument with people over and over and over. It's my favourite of the series - I prefer it to 7. The only reason 8 is so commonly frowned upon is that it had to follow 7 which was hugely popular. Eight was a huge graphical step up (not least because it used 'real' people), it had an absolutely monumental storyline, world, music and some great characters (and the card game!!) Yes, the draw system was a bit weak and combat was repetitive but it was - in terms of the actual story - one of the best they've ever done. Utterly epic, utterly brilliant. I fell in love with it in a big, big way. It would have made a better film than a game, that's the only flaw.

You won't get into to an argument with me about FF8, I was hanging on your every word. I massively agree.

Squall or 'Ryan' is an absolute heart throb, as was Rinoa (named after a girl I fancied in year 8)

I never completed 7, Seph was too hard for a less mentally developed me.

You won't get into to an argument with me about FF8, I was hanging on your every word. I massively agree.

Squall or 'Ryan' is an absolute heart throb, as was Rinoa (named after a girl I fancied in year 8)

I never completed 7, Seph was too hard for a less mentally developed me.

irvine.jpg

Pimp daddy. :cool:

Oh well, I guess we could discuss this for ages. FF VII was a milestone and also quite daring, as Square had just cut ties with Nintendo and was going for the first 3D RPG - a certain risky business when most gamers weren't used to that new environment yet.

Still, they pulled it off. Yes, part seven is not perfect. It wasn't at the time and even today, going back to playing an RPG with such clunky 3D models is a little odd. But the most fascinating part of the game was (and still is) its story. And I don't think FFVIII can keep up with that - it also has its own oddities and not just simply a couple of graphic issues. It was a first attempt at creating something more mature in terms of looks and style than the regular FF series with its rather cute Anime flair. However, it just doesn't click with me when I think of FFVIII. The story left me too uninvolved.

I'm surprised that FFIX is not mentioned. Too typical a Squaresoft product? :D

69 - one of the best PC RPGs ever made, loved every minute of its classy humour (this should've been a movie)

Pirates of the Caribbean :thumbup: was basically a rip-off of Monkey Island. But then again, MI itself was quite inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean (the attraction)...

Is GTA on the list?

Looking through a 100 games is never happening.

Although I'm not happy with Worms' position, loved that game.

i agree about worms it would be in my top ten , i now get my fix of worms on xbox live and its still as addictive

9 was terrible. Possibly the worst in the whole series. 8, 7 and 6 are the best for me. I love the engine and the world of X but I thought the characters were a little weak, especially Yuna and Tidus.

I disagree. :giggle:

The characters in FFXII(?) on ps2 were weaker.

And Auron is the best character in any of the FF games.

I still haven't completed FFX either! Got to the last bit and get hammered every time. Got all the extra Aeons and crap and still can't do it.

I disagree. :giggle:

The characters in FFXII(?) on ps2 were weaker.

And Auron is the best character in any of the FF games.

I still haven't completed FFX either! Got to the last bit and get hammered every time. Got all the extra Aeons and crap and still can't do it.

Piece of piss.

Sephiroth is the only one who has ever given me trouble, and he's soon sorted by the Omni Slash.

I simply can't agree with the top 5 in this case, although they're all good games. I've no idea what SF2 and Doom are doing at 6 and 7, surely two genre and platform defining games should be higher

I simply can't agree with the top 5 in this case, although they're all good games. I've no idea what SF2 and Doom are doing at 6 and 7, surely two genre and platform defining games should be higher

Add Dune 2 (RTS), Delta Force (tactical shooter) and HOMM (one of few remaining turn-based strategy games still going strong) to that list. I guess you could argue Wolfenstein 3D preceded Doom, but there's no doubt that Doom revolutionised the genre.

I started at 100 and got pissed of by 97 so googled it for convenience. :thumbup:

Defintly lazy journalism like Finnegan said. Pro Evo and Fifa are conveniently 64th and 65th.

Although there are loads of top games in there no list is credible without Jonah Lomu Rugby and Echo The Dolphin :ph34r:

Empire's Opinion: 100 Greatest Videogames

Top Ten Greatest Videogames

1- Super Mario World

2- Final Fantasy VII

3- World Of Warcraft

4- Call Of Duty 4

5- Sid Meier’s Civilization

6- Street Fighter 2

7- Doom

8- The Legend Of Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time

9- Super Mario 64

10- GoldenEye 007

Top 11-100

11- Planescape: Torment

12- Command & Conquer

13- Elite

14- Halo

15- Half-Life 2

16- Grand Theft Auto IV

17- Super Mario Kart

18- Gears Of War

19- Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows Of Amn

20- Metal Gear Solid

21- System Shock 2

22- Grand Theft Auto III

23- Halo 3

24- Super Mario Galaxy

25- Resident Evil

26- Bioshock

27- The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

28- Tetris

29- Half-Life

30- Resident Evil 4

31- Knights Of The Old Republic

32- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

33- Unreal Tournament

34- Resident Evil 2

35- Shadow Of The Colossus

36- Sonic The Hedgehog

37- God Of War

38- The Sims

39- Tomb Raider

40- Deus Ex

41- Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requim

42- Shenmue

43- Sensible Soccer

44- Silent Hill 2

45- Gran Turismo

46- Ico

47- Metroid Prime

48- Portal

49- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

50- Virtua Fighter 4

51- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty

52- StarCraft

53- The Fighter

54- Silent Hill

55- Call Of Duty

56- LittleBigPlanet

57- Devil May Cry

58- Championship Manager

59- Age Of Empires II: The Age Of Kings

60- Grim Fandango

61- Gauntlet

62- Tekken 2

63- The Legend Of Zelda: The Twilight Princess

64- Pro Evolution Soccer

65- Fifa

66- Left 4 Dead

67- Chrono Trigger

68- Super Metroid

69- Secret Of Monkey Island

70- Guitar Hero

71- Quake

72- Diablo II

73- Final Fantasy VIII

74- Freespace 2

75- Rome: Total War

76- Donkey Kong Country

77- Day Of The Tentacle

78- Company Of Heroes

79- Alien Vs. Predator II

80- Super Smash Bros. Brawl

81- SimCity 2000

82- Black & White

83- Homeworld

84- Super Contra

85- Dungeon Keeper 2

86- International Karate +

87- Lemmings

88- Thief II: The Metal Age

89- Counter- Strike

90- Daytona USA

91- Another World

92- Wipeout 2097

93- Dungeon Master

94- Bomberman

95- Alone In The Dark

96- Okami

97- Double Dragon

98- Worms 2

99- Super Castlevania

100- Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe

Add Dune 2 (RTS), Delta Force (tactical shooter) and HOMM (one of few remaining turn-based strategy games still going strong) to that list. I guess you could argue Wolfenstein 3D preceded Doom, but there's no doubt that Doom revolutionised the genre.

Its easy enough to argue the Doom/Wolfenstein thing for C&C vs. Dune though. In all honesty, these list things never work out easily and I'd say a fair few '90s classics made it in there (the amount of hours I wasted with the likes of Freespace, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Deus Ex etc ), even though its obviously weighted down with a billion versions of Final Fantasy and Resident Evil. As for Delta Force, wouldn't think its that worthy of a mention - sure it was one of the first realistic army-themed shooters, but for that I'd have to go with Operation Flashpoint or the original Hidden & Dangerous.

What Rome, Gauntlet, Grim Fandango, Knights Of The Old Republic, Tie Fighter, Planescape or Left 4 Dead are doing in that list, I don't know.

:cry:

OK, Rome wouldn't be my choice of Total War game, I'd go with Shogun, but its still excellent and works better on two levels than most strategy games can manage on just the one. Knights of The Old Republic, I've not played, looks like pretty much every other Bioware game ever so I can't imagine I'm missing that much. But Grim Fandango? GRIM FANDANGO? Its lovely, absolutely lovely.

I mean, how much more absolutely great could it possibly be?

Planescape Torment wasn't perfect but it was wonderfully inventive, thoughtful and well written - the act of punching stuff around the head is just like any other one of those games, but its well animated and all very pretty. Amnesia in games is often a cheap way of allowing NPCs to explain the background, but they actually went and did something really interesting with it, had some great characters and such. Why the dislike, too big a jump between the conversations and the rest of the gameplay?

Left 4 Dead is a superbly slick bit of gameplay that is worth being somewhere in those kind of lists, although probably not toward the 'legendary' end of things, simply because of how well thought out all the neat little design aspects are when it comes to guiding players towards acting co-operatively in a natural manner. Its really clever. Its not epic, but its incredibly fun and incredibly well made.

Am I the only person who thought Final Fantasy 7 was utter utter gash?

Archived