Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Suggestions please?

Ok so i am having problems with my PC. It keeps running really slow or not responding at all sometimes. I have done a virus check and a spyware check and all are clear. Also defragmented it and cleared everything off it, so that now out of 180GB i am only using 25GB of it. So i was wondering what the problem could be. I was wondering at first if it was my graphics card but i'm totally guessing as i really don't know. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'd personally reformat, I love a good reformat.

What virus software are you using?

I'm using Avast Home Edition mate. Anything else you could suggest or is that antivitus ok do you think?

Download and install http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Brilliant for speeding up your PC, I use it loads and it can clean your registry and everything.

Also has a 1-click-maintenance that you can run regularly.

Also, if you know where to look (or who to PM) you can get a serial code for it ;)

Thanks very much for that mate i'll go give it a look! Cheers. :)

:thumbup:

I'm using Avast Home Edition mate. Anything else you could suggest or is that antivitus ok do you think?

Avast is excellent for prevention usually but isn't always the best at finding and removing viruses you currently have, in my experience. I'd give Spybot S&D a look and if that doesn't work then yeah it probably definitely isn't a viral problem. lol

What are you like for memory?

Avast is excellent for prevention usually but isn't always the best at finding and removing viruses you currently have, in my experience. I'd give Spybot S&D a look and if that doesn't work then yeah it probably definitely isn't a viral problem. lol

What are you like for memory?

Mate i tried Spybot and it seems to have worked like a dream so far. Thanks for putting me onto that. Seems to have worked great. Big Cheers! :thumbup:

What did it find?

There was a heap of Spyware things on it which i've now removed but the PC is still playing up. Its behaviong better than it was but is still being a royal pain in the ass. lol

Make sure the processor fan and heat sync are clear. Take the side of the PC and remove the fan over the heat sync then give it a hoover to remove all the dust / fluff.

If the air flow is restricted it will overheat the processor and make you PC slow. You should do this every six months.

Makes one hell of a difference.

Make sure the processor fan and heat sync are clear. Take the side of the PC and remove the fan over the heat sync then give it a hoover to remove all the dust / fluff.

If the air flow is restricted it will overheat the processor and make you PC slow. You should do this every six months.

Makes one hell of a difference.

Hi mate cheers for that, i have actually dont that though and always do it on a fairly regular basis. Appreciate the advice. Thank you. :thumbup:

You may just need more RAM.

How much RAM do you have and is it DDR1 or DDR2? (DDR2 is much faster)

[/quote

Ooooh i have no idea about this kinda stuff. I have a mate who built my PC and knows all that stuff. Shall ask him! lol

Archived