Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
peterborofox

Post horn gallop

Found this while on 606 earlier. It seems our friends down the A47 have stolen it, as they played it before their friendly vs Villa. :angry:

LINK

For those who don't want to click the link this is what the main poster said:

Did anyone else of my (middle) age thrill to hear the 'Post Horn Gallop' played as the teams came out yesterday? Is this just a 75th Anniversary thing or has it been re-introduced for the full season? Foxes fans will say the 'Post Horn Gallop' is their theme tune, but it was the 'standard' at London Road when I started watching Posh in the early 60s, but then fell out of favour. How early it started at London Road I don't know (anyone know?).

Views on whether 'The Post Horn Gallop' should stay?

A few teams used to play it years ago including Peterborough themselves and Colchester as mentioned above and I am sure some other side did as well.

Still, they should use there own music <_<

Doesn't sit right somehow. One of the few things I think of as very 'ours', and even then we've crapped all over it with shitty coconut-shell sounds effects and such.

The new PHG sounds to me like the old one, but higher in pitch, twice the speed and with Graham Chapman pretending to gallop on a horse by banging two coconuts together like in MP and the Holy Grail ^_^

As far as I'm aware the PHG was used in Leicester (the epicentre of fox hunting) since the 18th century during organised hunts. why another area would use it as a 'native' retual I have no idea.

I know Colchester use it due to the town's military connections, don't know about Boro though.

Don't think we've got all that much right to complain about other clubs plagiarising it given the fact that we only play a mongy "jazzed up" version of it at the moment for some stupid reason.

As far as I'm aware the PHG was used in Leicester (the epicentre of fox hunting) since the 18th century during organised hunts. why another area would use it as a 'native' retual I have no idea.

Actually incorrect. The Post Horn Gallop was used to signal the incoming post for each day and has nothing to do with hunting. :thumbup:

as kilworth said, nothing to do with hunting and, if memory serves, it is originally a german dance choon...

I know Colchester use it due to the town's military connections, don't know about Boro though.

Don't think we've got all that much right to complain about other clubs plagiarising it given the fact that we only play a mongy "jazzed up" version of it at the moment for some stupid reason.

Not for the last two home games we didn't...

Actually incorrect. The Post Horn Gallop was used to signal the incoming post for each day and has nothing to do with hunting. :thumbup:

Beat me to it.

• 2 years later...

I think it is...

After opening trial matches on August 19th and August 26th 1937, United's first-ever Layer Road game was against Davis' old team Bath City on Thursday September 2nd in the Southern League Midweek Section. 

United won 6-1 with Reg Smith registering the club's first-ever hat-trick. United's goalkeeper Ronnie Dunn was a proficient musician with his Army unit and to celebrate the occasion he played 'The Post Horn Gallop' on his bugle to welcome the players on to the field. 

That entrance tune would stay with the club throughout its Layer Road history

:rolleyes:

Archived