Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
peterborofox

Post horn gallop

Leicester City FC first 'adopted' the Post Horn Galop in 1941. It was played over the PA when the team ran out. (I say 'team' because rarely did they come out together).

However, I was taken by my Dad to my first ever City match at the beginning of the '49/'50 season and my recollection of those times were that come rain or shine, we were always entertained for half an hour or so pre-kick-off by a small brass band, mostly Salvation Army who would play a selection of Sousa maches eg Liberty Bell and the like as we all awaited the PHG, played live, as the team ran out.

We would stamp our feet on the wooden floor of the main stand and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Can someone tell me what does Post Horn Gallop signify (not in football I mean).

Does it sound for Foxes to get ready to run during foxhunting? :dunno:

I read that it means this somewhere. And if it does, why did someone choose Leicester City to out to it, if it means Foxes running away?

Leicester City FC first 'adopted' the Post Horn Galop in 1941. It was played over the PA when the team ran out. (I say 'team' because rarely did they come out together).

However, I was taken by my Dad to my first ever City match at the beginning of the '49/'50 season and my recollection of those times were that come rain or shine, we were always entertained for half an hour or so pre-kick-off by a small brass band, mostly Salvation Army who would play a selection of Sousa maches eg Liberty Bell and the like as we all awaited the PHG, played live, as the team ran out.

We would stamp our feet on the wooden floor of the main stand and the atmosphere was fantastic.

so colchester beat us to it, we ripped them off.

It was original just written as a piece of music for the post horn and adopted for use to signal the arrival/departure of the mail/post on the stage couch.

Archived