Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nugent

Ashes Cricket 2009

ashes09.jpg

* Enhanced Bowling Experience: Make decisions as the bowler does with an intuitive, interactive bowling control scheme.

* Dynamic and Intuitive Batting: Feel more in control of the ball than ever before, with greater coverage and shot choice.

* Official Hawk-Eye Tracking: Official Hawk-Eye visualisations, as seen on TV.

* Cricket Legends Mode: Learn how to master the disciplines of batting, bowling and fielding with coaching from Sir Ian Botham and Shane Warne.

* Play in Stadiums from Around the World: Eighteen of the world's most recognisable stadia, recreated geographic conditions and climates, as well as

true-to-life crowd noise and atmosphere. Expect swing in England, bounce in Australia and extra turn in India.

* Online Play: Full online multiplayer gaming through PlayStation Network.

* Single and Multiplayer Modes: Two player Co-Op play, with up to four player vs matches.

Anybody gunna get this?

Yeah, will check the review first.

When is it out?

Release-date-happy Codemasters has announced that Ashes Cricket 2009 will be released for PC, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 on 7th August, which is the first day of the fourth real-life Ashes test at Headingley.

Been waiting for a decent looking cricket game for a while, I still occasionally pop on Brian Lara 07. lol

Same! Will probably see if there is a demo flying around somewhere too.

Been waiting for a decent looking cricket game for a while, I still occasionally pop on Brian Lara 07. lol

I think this is going to be the same as Brian Lara's cricket, which im not a big fan of as its to arcadey for me.

Why has EA Sports not made a cricket game this year?

I think this is going to be the same as Brian Lara's cricket, which im not a big fan of as its to arcadey for me.

Why has EA Sports not made a cricket game this year?

Yeah, Codemasters aren't the best but there the only ones willing to have a regular crack at cricket games.

Takes some getting used to this.

how the hell do you hit the ball!!!! :o

I loved Brian Lara but can't seem to get anywhere near the ball. sure I am missing something somewhere nobody can be this bad at a game surely!!

Ordered mine yesterday for the 360....SHOULD (royal mail allowing) be playing it later today! it's had mixed reviews but if it plays half decent and better (which people allready say it does) than the trash that was BLC 07 i'll be somewhat happy!

OK, it's not the best not the worst.

Graphically it's faily average and some of the characters appearances are questionable at best. The commentary is impoved from the BLC series though.

So what's new?

You now have the ability to play off either the back foot or front foot depending upon delivery length, if you play off the correct foot then it makes your shots much more accurate. You can also dance down the pitch at any time, whereas on BLC 2007 this was only possible with players on full confidence, it looks well good when you charge a spinner and club him back over his head for a 6. Another good and realistic feature are the inside and outside edges. Depending upon your timing with shot button will depend upon how well the shot is executed and obviously poor timing will result in either a play and miss or the edge being found. It's pretty satisfying when you're bowling and you catch the edge and it goes to the keeper, similarly when you're batting and you get a tickle of an inside edge onto the pads to save you from an LBW appeal.

Bowling is fundamentally the same, whereby you pick a button and the corresponding deliver is bowled ie outswinger, inswinger, slower ball and straight stock delivery. However swing cannot be applied to the ball after the ball is mid flight unlike previous games, this is now done using the shoulder buttons whilst the bowler is running up, I personally found this is bit disappointing but that's only my preference. Another good point is that there doesn't appear to be many bugs like on previous games where you could make the batsmen play on to their stumps if you bowled it on a leg stump line and other similar dismissals.

Catching is also an improvement in my opinion. No longers is it a bar which you have to stop in the green zone, now there is a circle around the ball that changes from red->orange->green and when the green circle is displayed hit the catch button, it also goes into a kind of slo mo camera shot which is pretty good. You can also choose which end you throw the ball to when you're in the field.

Bad points?

I've only played it for a few hours but what I found incredibly frustrating is the run rate in tests, I was bowling top of off stump with Freddie at 94/95mph and they were smacking it over cover for 6 and then over third man for 6. For me this was a big problem in BLC 2007 and hoped it would be rectified but alas they haven't. LBW decisions are also incridibly annoying, i've had a couple that were stone dead and were given not out and then I was rapped on the pads miles outside off stump to an outswinging delivery and was given out and hawk eye showed it would have missed another set of stumps. The run outs are a touch daft as well, only lower levels the cpu is suicidal at running which spoils it for me because a set batsmen will often get himself out performing a stupid run.

However as a multiplayer it's great, i've been playing with 3 mates and it's great fun although we very rarely last the overs.

Overall...i'd say it's worth buying if you're a cricket fan and fancy giving the Aussies a good spancking.

Archived