Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hitesh

Useful Programs

A useful list of tools - its currently work in progress and additions can be discussed here: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=61688

System Maintenance

CCleaner - CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.

Latest Version: 3.07.1457

Spybot Search and Destroy - Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.

Latest Version: 1.6.2

TuneUp Utilities - Brilliant for optimising and customising your pc. Edit your startup processes, clean your registry, defrag your hard drive all in one place, and it also has a handy '1Click Maintenance' that you can schedule to run say every week. Brilliant bit of kit.

Latest Version: 2009

Web Browsers

Firefox – One of the best browsers out there

Latest Version: 4.0.1

• Add Ons – One Get the latest add-ons, themes and enhancements for Firefox
  • MozBackup – One of the best utilities to back up your Firefox Utilites

Google Chrome – A new browser from Google

Latest Version: 3

Google ToolbarA great toolbar from IE or Firefox

Latest Version: 5

Safari – Apples version!

Latest Version: 4

Opera – Another one!

Latest Version: 9.64

Anti-Virus

AVG Anti Virus – Download the most trusted free antivirus and antispyware security software for Windows 7, Vista and Windows XP.

Avira Anti Virus – Windows and Linux anti virus, firewall, anti spam, recovery solutions against malware infection

Avast Anti Virus – Antivirus software a complete virus protection with anti-spyware technology offering full desktop security including a resident shield.

Eset NOD32 Anti Virus ESET's antivirus software provides the best proactive antivirus protection by far, says PC World.

Media Utilities

iTunes - Organize, browse, grow, and share your digital music and video collection with iTunes. Latest Version: 8

VLC Player - VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, DivX, MPEG-1, mp3, ogg, aac ...) as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. Latest Version: 1.0

Winamp - Play your MP3, AAC, MPEG, AVI files, and more. Get free MP3 songs, videos, skins and plug-ins. Sync your iPod or Creative Zen, and get mobile music with Winamp Remote. Latest Version: 5.56

Dziobas Rar Player Portable - Play dvix/xvid movies from rar files. No need to extract and waste space on your HDD. Latest Version: 9.3

Other Useful Tools

WinRar - WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format.

Latest Version: 3.80

ObjectDock - ObjectDock™ is a program that enables users to organize their shortcuts, programs and running tasks into an attractive and fun animated Dock. By allowing users to have more control over how they organize their desktop, users can take control of their desktop icons and shortcuts to have them be available when where and how they need them.

Latest Version: 1.9

Notepad++ - Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.

Latest Version: 5.45

Google Picasa – A very handy tool for organizing your photos, quick editing them or even make a gift-cd or a thumb nailed webpage for fast upload.

Latest Version: 3

Windows Live Sky Drive - An offsite cloud storing service. You can store documents, pictures - whatever - in different folders. Some are public, some are for your friends only, some are secured to you only. Nice place to keep the really important stuff as a secure backup. Free, but you need a MSN-account.

MAC Tools

iStat Pro - A little application for use on mac, just shows you basically what's going on inside your machine in terms of memory/disk usage, processing, temps etc.

Always worth checking out the mac observers MacGeekGab, they usually review some cool little applications along with trouble shooting user queries etc.

Discuss these tools and any additions to this list here:- http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=61688

Floola - A great freeware application I use to manage my IPOD without having to install Itunes & all the bloat that comes with it. It's a standalone application that can be run directly from your iPod and needs no installation under Linux (any GTK2 distro), Mac OS X (10.3.9 or newer!) and Windows (98 or newer, including Vista).

Current Version: 5.3

• 2 weeks later...

I find the Add-On Xmarks really useful, particularly the 'Bookmark Sync' feature. Works with Firefox, IE and Safari. Install Xmarks on each computer you use, and it seamlessly integrates with your web browser and keeps your bookmarks in sync. Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FREE Hi-Q Recorder Version 1.92

FREE Hi-Q Recorder is free sound recording software to record streaming audio, Internet radio, webcasts, music, meetings, classes, seminars, convert LP's, records, tapes, make free ringtones and a lot more. It's an MP3 sound recorder to record anything you can hear!

http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html

Do you need any other software/hardware to turn tapes into mp3? I've got some old tapes I want to put on me pc and was going to buy one of those tape player/pc things from Maplin. Would I still need one to use with Hi-Q Recorder?

Do you need any other software/hardware to turn tapes into mp3? I've got some old tapes I want to put on me pc and was going to buy one of those tape player/pc things from Maplin. Would I still need one to use with Hi-Q Recorder?

yep, you would need some kind of recording software

i see they are £40 from maplins, if they come with there own sofware, you dont need easy hi-q

you can use an old tape player from an old system if you have it, you might need a small pre-amp which are about £10 from maplins

• 6 months later...

hi can someone explain how utorrent works and pretend you are telling a monkey

it's basically a download program, you find stuff to download on the internet and then you use utorrent to actually download it. Bit like you can browse for stuff on ebay but a courier actually gets it to you, utorrent is the courier part.

Go to a site like www.isohunt.com or www.piratebay.org and search for something, when you click to download it on there is won't actually download whatever it is you have picked but will be a file ending with .torrent. You open that file in utorrent and it downloads the actual file you want to your computer.

• 1 month later...

Archived