Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Help Is Needed...

Right, I have a problem and it is doing my head in so, here goes:

I turned my laptop on as usuall to browse the internet and something has gone wrong, well, more than one thing.

For starters, the laptop has wiped out all of my documents inluding pictures, music etc, got rid of my desktop wallpaper etc. Now, is this a virus of somesort because it cannot be a hard drive failure or else the hard drive wouldn't work would it?

Next, some of my keys on my keyboard have swapped over. Example: I went to check my e-mail and typed in the address and when I selected the '@' button on my keyboard it had turned into the " button. This morning I have unscrewed the keyboard, took it out and then put it back in but nothing - It is still the same.

Another problem is; my internet browser page looks wierd - it has changed. The buttons that I can choose from 'File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help' have all changed into their own display thing. Example: I press one of those 6 buttons and I get the old dropdown menu of Windows 95 when it is flippin Windows XP! I know how to sort this out, so I go into display and change the theme to Windows XP from 'Modified theme' but everytime I press apply it roots back to the old modified theme.

Now, I understand that a few of you know your stuff about computers so any help would be much appriciated. I undertake IT at college (more hardware orientated that software) but have never come accross something like this.

Any help and suggestions would come in handy and be welcomed and appriciated.

Cheers.

Right, I have a problem and it is doing my head in so, here goes:

I turned my laptop on as usuall to browse the internet and something has gone wrong, well, more than one thing.

For starters, the laptop has wiped out all of my documents inluding pictures, music etc, got rid of my desktop wallpaper etc. Now, is this a virus of somesort because it cannot be a hard drive failure or else the hard drive wouldn't work would it?

Next, some of my keys on my keyboard have swapped over. Example: I went to check my e-mail and typed in the address and when I selected the '@' button on my keyboard it had turned into the " button. This morning I have unscrewed the keyboard, took it out and then put it back in but nothing - It is still the same.

Another problem is; my internet browser page looks wierd - it has changed. The buttons that I can choose from 'File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help' have all changed into their own display thing. Example: I press and of those 6 buttons and I get the old dropdown menu of Windows 95 when it is flippin Windows XP! I know how to sort this out, so I go into display and change the theme to Windows XP from 'Modified theme' but everytime I press apply it roots back to the old modified theme.

Now, I understand that a few of you know your stuff about computers so any help would be much appriciated. I undertake IT at college (more hardware orientated that software) but have never come accross something like this.

Any help and suggestions would come in handy and be welcomed and appriciated.

Cheers.

Sounds like your keyboard has been set to american settings or something.

Sounds like your keyboard has been set to american settings or something.

Thanks for your replay :thumbup: But I have fixed all the problems now, I am my own technician; good job I do it at college :rolleyes:

Admin can close the thread if they want too...

Well first few things to do would would be to run some scans on your PC. It sounds like its some sort of virus/spyware but without actually scanning/looking its hard to tell.

Get an anti-virus program and do a full scan (deep scan if possible) of your PC. Then get a program called Spybot Search and Destroy and again, run a full scan. Once this is done, right click on the taskbar and open Task Manager. If you can, take some print screens and send me them over PM and I'll see if there are any programs running that shouldn't be. Also, it may be best if you run these scans via safe mode as any virus can be removed without hassle (it may run into hassle because they will be running and hence cannot be moved to quarantine/deleted).

Let us know how you get on and send me the details of the Task Manager processes if you can!

Seeing as you say you've fixed it, what was it?

It doesn't sound like a virus.

Well, saying I fixed it I meant...

... What it is right me and my brother have two different user accounts for some strange and dopey reason but it was happening on my account and not his.

So, I deleted my account and started a new one and before you know it, problem solved.

Va va voom!

Well, saying I fixed it I meant...

... What it is right me and my brother have two different user accounts for some strange and dopey reason but it was happening on my account and not his.

So, I deleted my account and started a new one and before you know it, problem solved.

Va va voom!

This happend to me. Did you get a message when you logged on saying something along the lines of "Unable to acess user area and settings" then a countdown timer comes up and your user area goes back to how it was when you brought it?

This happend to me. Did you get a message when you logged on saying something along the lines of "Unable to acess user area and settings" then a countdown timer comes up and your user area goes back to how it was when you brought it?

Yes exactly that and the tour of Windows XP comes up and there is no documents there. It does my head in because it is about the 4th time this year :angry:

And I have to upload all my music for my iPod including the covers which takes about 5 hours.

But I am fed up with it, so I am just going to buy one of those PCI network adapters from eBuyer and put it in my desktop computer so that I can have the wireless internet on there and then just flip out on my laptop.

Archived