Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

How to format and re-install vista?

I want to format and reinstall vista, however I've not got a disc as it was installed on my laptop when I bought it.

I've got the serial number and stuff but I don't where to get the disc from, I'm planning on torrenting it (which as far as i know is legal as i've PAID for the vista). What is it I need? Vista boot disc?

Just been checking out that link myself and found this that might be of help...

MAYBE it's already on your hard drive: Your manufacturer MIGHT have copied the contents of the Anytime Upgrade DVD directly onto the hard disk of the computer (sometimes in a hidden folder called "WAU"). The problem is that you cannot directly burn this to a DVD and then boot from it to do a clean install -- you first need to burn the files as a bootable DVD in order to use them. To create a bootable DVD from these files:

1.Download, install, and run vLite

2.Select the location with the WAU folder

3.Select your vista version

4.Select the ISO button and make the ISO - you can create an image or directly burn to DVD.

Now you should have a bootable Anytime Upgrade DVD you can use for a clean install. Thanks to seven11 for the steps. (Note: You can do a lot of other things with vLite too, but avoid messing with other things in there until you know what you are doing with it).

Here are some places you might find the folder on your system:

◦C:\Windows\sonysys\wau (hidden folder)

◦Please let me know where you found it on your system!

You can see if it might be on your system by doing the following:

◦Click Start > Windows Anytime Upgrade > Choose your edition

◦Under the upgrade option a message will display whether your laptop is pre-configured for Anytime Upgrade

You will not have the "Anytime Upgrade" option if you have Vista Ultimate, but you might still have the folder on your hard drive. Take a look around for it. (Thank to coolguy for these steps)

I can't imagine wanting to install Vista, never mind re-install it.

Surely that would equate to being stabbed twice?

lol

Have you got it because I was looking at buying a Vista motherboard and that or is it just that rubbish because I have never really been on Vista?

lol

Have you got it because I was looking at buying a Vista motherboard and that or is it just that rubbish because I have never really been on Vista?

I don't mind it too much, it's just a lot slower than XP.

right i'm going to TRY and format and reinstall now... wish me luck!

I don't mind it too much, it's just a lot slower than XP.

right i'm going to TRY and format and reinstall now... wish me luck!

I posted this 3 days ago...

It hasn't gone well!

I've managed to get XP onto this laptop but it seems to HATE it. I can't find a driver for the thing that you turn the wireless on/off with and so i'm stuck in a corner with a LAN cable plugged into it! fffffs.

Compaq Presario C700 if anybody knows what to do?

I posted this 3 days ago...

It hasn't gone well!

I've managed to get XP onto this laptop but it seems to HATE it. I can't find a driver for the thing that you turn the wireless on/off with and so i'm stuck in a corner with a LAN cable plugged into it! fffffs.

Compaq Presario C700 if anybody knows what to do?

fook all that. just installed windows 7, took just about half an hour to install (compared to xp...3 hours?)

No need for drivers, wicked OS.

Archived