Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

Look, I love Apple, would trade the world for a MacBook at the moment, but this was meant to be the 'biggest' kit of technology since the iPod. But it's a nothing product. If it becomes a touchscreen laptop, kind of like the touchscreen desktops, but in tablet form, I will be all over it, but its not one thing or the other :unsure:

It will be a game changer becuase it means people are no longer going to buy a laptop becuase they might need the more powerful functionality. They are no longer going to pay hundreds for MS Office to type a couple of letters and do a home budget - they don't need it and they won't have the choice.

Exactly. The Apple business plan goes something like this:

1) Launch relativley basic model, sells to enthusiasts and people who don't need anything more,

2) Add a couple of cameras so people can use skype (I will buy at this point as I am fed up following my daughter around with a laptop..

3) Make it overlap the macbook range - they have shown with the overlap of iMac and Mac Pro that this works.

Making phase 1 so cheap is the really amazing thing. I guess it means this model can continue when the second one comes out in a year.

How is this amazingly cheap? You can get a netbook with much better functionality for £200.

It will be a game changer becuase it means people are no longer going to buy a laptop becuase they might need the more powerful functionality. They are no longer going to pay hundreds for MS Office to type a couple of letters and do a home budget - they don't need it and they won't have the choice.

But I use Office for homework, and without it, its a bastard.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for jumping into the debate about 10 days late, but:

That's the point of Microsoft Works, it can do all that simple stuff, and it costs less than £20 on amazon (came installed on my netbook regardless). Willing to bet it's cheaper than Apple's Office product (iWork?). - Having looked it up it looks like many laptops are going to come with the new Office Starter edition pre-installed, which is the replacement for Works.

Besides, if you can't afford Office products at all, then you go for Sun's Open Office, which is free.

I don't understand how a touchscreen tablet is good for writing letters or doing home budgets.

Fair point, but i think he was talking about the interaction. Why use a mouse?

I don't *get* touchpads, how would I right-click in any convenient manner on an iPad? How do I keep the screen clean and not let it suffer wear and tear when it takes up the whole product, has no protection and is constantly getting grime from fingers on it? How is an on-screen keyboard at all usable compared to a physical keyboard that gives you actual feedback upon pressing a key? It offers nothing more than a netbook, and imo, is nowhere near as good as a netbook at the things it's meant to be used for (at about double the price of the cheapest ones).

I stand by my belief that Apple has made a big mistake in doing this instead of a netbook a while back. However it'll still sell well, at least initially, purely because of the badge.

• 2 weeks later...
iPad - pffft.

Just wait a few more months until Apple releases the new MacBook/MacBook Pros with i5/i7 processors.

Until then - greetings from a now complete Apple iMac home editing suite. :thumbup:

Am currently pondering whether i should buy an 21.5" imac base model for GBP970 or a i7 Quad Core 27" for GBP1,860. On the one hand, I could buy a beast that last years, on the other, I could buy the Dual core now for half the money, and upgrade in a couple of years to an i7 for probably the same money. All this because, most sadly I cannot bring myslef to spend 150 quid on a 320 Gb hard drive for my Powerbook G4 when it cannot play HD video. :unsure:

They're not even releasing it in Switzerland for now... iThink they've massively overestimated the potential market for this iCatcher.

In the meantime, I'm about to complete my editing suite and am inclined to go for this ****er:

apple-24-inch-led-cinema-display.jpg

Purchased a Macbook in December and it has been the best purchase I have ever made by a country mile.

The touchpad is the best thing since sliced bread and works so well with expose and spaces. Windows 7 snap really is the poor mans OS-X spaces.

I'd never really used apple computers before starting Uni this year, and I now love them. However I'm not going to only use OS-X, I'm better off having the best of both worlds. I did plan to install 7 in boot camp alongside snow leopard, but have yet to find the need (I do have win7 on a desktop though). I will however be mostly using OS-X over Windows 7.

As for macs being over priced...

Snow leopard utilises hardware considerably more efficiently than Windows 7, so you are getting more out of your computer using OS-X. Microsoft screwed up Vista so much that Windows 7 is what Vista should of been, MS had to spend their time fixing a shocking OS, whereas Apple already had a working OS so spent their time making it more efficient.

I'm buying a mid-2009 model Macbook that was new on 2nd December 2009 for £450. I'm joining the fold.

Specs (very technical):

2.13 GHz processor jobby

2GB ram

160gb superdrive jobby

Nvidia graphics number

Something along those lines anyway. Perfect for my everyday standard using and maybe a bit of Football Manager on the side...

Welcome to the elitist truth.

Mac users are more intelligent than PC users, according to this this :thumbup:

"Those who surf the Web using a Mac tend to be better educated and make more money than their PC-using counterparts"

Quite interesting article on the same subject here as well.

Edit: Although I'm sure mac users being better educated and also richer is partly because Apple products are more expensive than PCs.

Guest DavidJCW

Mac users are more intelligent than PC users, according to this this :thumbup:

"Those who surf the Web using a Mac tend to be better educated and make more money than their PC-using counterparts"

Quite interesting article on the same subject here as well.

Edit: Although I'm sure mac users being better educated and also richer is partly because Apple products are more expensive than PCs.

You get what you pay for though... having worked on both Mac's and PC's for a long long time now, there's just no comparison, Mac's are a hell of a lot better.

I wish I had the time to find your anti-Mac rant :P

lol

My point has mainly been about what Macs do to people. I'm fighting so hard to resist but I think it's taking a hold of me. I don't mind Macs when I can get them for about £200 less than what they're worth :D One of the benefits of having a housemate who buys and sells Macs for a living :D

Edit: this is where I find out my Mac rant wasn't based around what they do to people and I end up looking an ass :)

lol

My point has mainly been about what Macs do to people. I'm fighting so hard to resist but I think it's taking a hold of me. I don't mind Macs when I can get them for about £200 less than what they're worth :D One of the benefits of having a housemate who buys and sells Macs for a living :D

Edit: this is where I find out my Mac rant wasn't based around what they do to people and I end up looking an ass :)

Basically, I don't want to end up like Edmund Crouchback at the beginning of this thread! :thumbup:

I'm making up for lost time in this thread by posting LOADS

Just synchronised iCal with my Google calendar account...and filled my pants.

The ease of integration and the fluidity of the software beggars belief.

This is one of the first things I did. I had a similar reaction. I'm so easily pleased. I can't believe how easy it was to sort out mail, calendar and Google chat through the Mac applications.

Is it possible to own anything Apple (apart from the iPod) without telling everyone constantly how amazing it is constantly? This is my main concern about buying a Macbook. I already bore people enough by talking about Leicester, I worry I'll have no friends left to bore if I get a Macbook as well.

OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENING!

Archived