Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded to a 15" MacBook Pro - the 2.66GHz 500GB model with 4GB RAM.

I blame Apple.

And the local retailer with his "10% off all electronics" discount.

Already ordered an 8GB RAM upgrade from Crucial.

Now the waiting commences.

(My previous 15" MacBook Pro, a mid-2008 type, had already lost a harddrive once, and looked a bit demolished on the side.

Just handed it over to Apple to replace parts of the case. Once that's done, it's going on sale on se internetz.*)

*Anyone interested?:santa:

I blame Apple.

(My previous 15" MacBook Pro, a mid-2008 type, had already lost a harddrive once, and looked a bit demolished on the side.

Just handed it over to Apple to replace parts of the case. Once that's done, it's going on sale on se internetz.*)

I've got a 17inch Pro from 2007 - I just got a new 250GB drive for it last week, love it lots - so nice to have it back from the lovely peps at the apple store - they were really great only cost 150 notes and they stuck Snow Leopard back on and recovered all my stuff and spruced it up mending all sorts of little odds and sods - Happy Days.

Any recommendations on a good External HD for my Macbook?

LaCie Rugged - looks a bit ugly but is VERY robust, only needs a FireWire or USB cable to run (no power cable required)

Western Digital aren't too bad either, same goes for G-Drive Technology models.

• 4 weeks later...

I blame Apple.

This is nearly £2000 right (on the apple site anyhow)? I reckon i'd like to give a mac a go but this is just ridiculous. My laptop with 2.13GHz i5, 4gb RAM, 320Gb hd and video card cost me £330 new compared to a similar spec'd pro which cost £1620 :o

Howwww does anyone do this or are they seriosuly cheaper elsewhere?

This is nearly £2000 right (on the apple site anyhow)? I reckon i'd like to give a mac a go but this is just ridiculous. My laptop with 2.13GHz i5, 4gb RAM, 320Gb hd and video card cost me £330 new compared to a similar spec'd pro which cost £1620 :o

Howwww does anyone do this or are they seriosuly cheaper elsewhere?

That's way off what I paid - it was more in the region of £1400 - 1500, plus another £85 for two times 4GB RAM from Crucial.

You but you have to run windows then :(

My MBP 15" was about £1500 I think, pretty good really for the excellent build quality and fact I don't have to use windows.

• 2 weeks later...

The Macbook Pro microphone is actually pretty good, having realised I'd lost a load of cables and microphones (Probably at my parents' house from before I moved back down to Uni for this year) I used it to record a rough instrumental acoustic idea I had in to Garageband (Also decent for free software) and it turned out pretty good, actually. Song idea thingy.

• 1 month later...

New Thunderbolt technology to be implemented in the new, more powerful MacBook Pro models - to be revealed soon.

Apparently, transfer speeds of up to 10 Gigabits per second are to be expected, but it's going through the MiniDisplay port.

Oh, and they're also talking new AMD processors.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-introduces-new-macbook-pros/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a go on the new OSX lion, pretty smart! Seems to get the best out of the standard graphics card on the iMac! It's super fast too, would deffinately recommend using the default Internet browser, it's much more efficient than fire fox or chrome! Really looking forward to it's release, installation seems pretty easy too! Its £20 from the apple store (when it comes out)!

Archived