Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

I have a Windows based program that I still wish to use, it's a genealogy program called "Family Tree Maker". Obviously I can set up XP using Chain Gang but it would mean that I'd have to buy a SP2 disk at $29 from Microsoft, I'd also have the attendant virus and malware problems. The alternative, as recommended by a friend, is to buy a Windows emulator like "Virtual Windows". Has anyone had any experience with them?

I've used VMware Fusion before. It's a great tool if you want to use Microsoft software on your Mac.

I don't have it on my MacBook no longer, as I used to use it for work purposes only (synching with the company's scheduling system, calender, mail and all that shabang).

I'd pass it on to you without hesitation, but

a) it's the German version

b) I doubt you can use it more than once, and that on another Mac, as well

Is it possible to own anything Apple (apart from the iPod) without telling everyone constantly how amazing it is constantly? This is my main concern about buying a Macbook. I already bore people enough by talking about Leicester, I worry I'll have no friends left to bore if I get a Macbook as well.

Steam & FM10

What's the beef with Steam?

Is it worth buying FM10 for Mac?

I hate steam for this. But its just as simple to buy the FM CD, steam is basically just a way of playing the game without having to have a disk. I played FM09 all year on my mac just left the disk in all the time I played it that much.

Is it possible to own anything Apple (apart from the iPod) without telling everyone constantly how amazing it is constantly? This is my main concern about buying a Macbook. I already bore people enough by talking about Leicester, I worry I'll have no friends left to bore if I get a Macbook as well.

No.

Simple as that.

And people will begin to hate you for it... but sod them. Your the one with the beautiful piece of kit that is a macbook.

I've used VMware Fusion before. It's a great tool if you want to use Microsoft software on your Mac.

I don't have it on my MacBook no longer, as I used to use it for work purposes only (synching with the company's scheduling system, calender, mail and all that shabang).

I'd pass it on to you without hesitation, but

a) it's the German version

b) I doubt you can use it more than once, and that on another Mac, as well

Thanks Alexei. I can handle the cost as long as it works. :thumbup:

Worse yet you could be a recovering alcoholic or have lost several pounds/kilos

Is it possible to own anything Apple...

I have an iPod.

I have an iPhone.

I have a MacBook Pro.

Fortunately, I have never had friends...but now I have your attention, let me tell you how amazing my Apple products are...

I hate steam for this. But its just as simple to buy the FM CD, steam is basically just a way of playing the game without having to have a disk. I played FM09 all year on my mac just left the disk in all the time I played it that much.

Never had a problem with the concept of Steam on the PC but I thought it was an inherent part of FM10, thereby rendering FM10 on Mac a problem.

Must have got the wrong end of a stick again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have downloaded a trial version of VM Fusion and it is incredible. We have a couple of programs that I can only get on Windows XP and changing is not an option. The cost is $79 but my daughter should be able to get the Education price of 50% off.

I have even been able to connect to our PC only laser printer which I couldn't do before. Silky smooth and everything is working properly so far. I can asure you VM Ware have the answer.

The big problem I had with Chain Gang was that I needed an SP2 disk, not so with Fusion, once Sp1 is loaded, you can just go back and update it from Microsoft up to all the latest iterations.

It effectively works as another application so you can run windows side by side with your Mac apps. So if you had any doubts now Davie forget them. :thumbup:

I have downloaded a trial version of VM Fusion and it is incredible. We have a couple of programs that I can only get on Windows XP and changing is not an option. The cost is $79 but my daughter should be able to get the Education price of 50% off.

I have even been able to connect to our PC only laser printer which I couldn't do before. Silky smooth and everything is working properly so far. I can asure you VM Ware have the answer.

The big problem I had with Chain Gang was that I needed an SP2 disk, not so with Fusion, once Sp1 is loaded, you can just go back and update it from Microsoft up to all the latest iterations.

It effectively works as another application so you can run windows side by side with your Mac apps. So if you had any doubts now Davie forget them. :thumbup:

I'd definitely love it if my version would work on your Mac. Let me check with VMware first and I'll let you know.

I could have it shipped for cheap. :thumbup:

I have an iPod.

I have an iPhone.

I have a MacBook Pro.

Fortunately, I have never had friends...but now I have your attention, let me tell you how amazing my Apple products are...

Ditto.

But Dave, remember, when one owns a MacBook Pro, an ipod and an iphone.... one doesn't need friends.

There's an app for that.

I've given up trying to find a legitimate (affordable) copy of CS4 for Mac and am going to try this and my Windows version of CS3...downloading a trial of VM3 now...

I've given up trying to find a legitimate (affordable) copy of CS4 for Mac and am going to try this and my Windows version of CS3...downloading a trial of VM3 now...

Bloody game-on! £26.90 and I have fully-functioning CS3 :clap:

...now to find a working CS4 for Windows :whistle::D

Screenshot2009-11-14at224157.png

Bloody game-on! £26.90 and I have fully-functioning CS3 :clap:

...now to find a working CS4 for Windows :whistle::D

Ha! After I loaded it, I thought that the screen fonts looked odd, kinda wispy, then I remembered I had to install PowerToy with ClearType enabled. It now looks great.

The last thing in the world I'd like to do is run Windows on my Mac - I have other laptops for that kind of grubby behaviour.
It's pissing me right off now - the whole machine slows down to the speed of the wife's laptop whenever I run the bastard thing now...rendering it fucking useless.

Asking for my money back.

Bah. :angry:

You should have listened to yourself :giggle:

Macbook

This upto much? or should I be looking at spending more on a Macbook?

Depends what you want it for to be honest. Are you looking to do anything that needs lots of proceesing capability or storage (i.e. video/audio editing/graphics etc.) or are you just using it for general use?

I've just read that there's a hint of a new gen of macbooko pros coming out sometime soon as there's lots of reduced yet brand new MB Pros being sold via the Apple refurb store, no idea when yet but if you can hold off for a bit you may find yourself with a much better deal.

EDIT - I'd do a biti of shopping around too to be honest, i.e. not from high street retailers, you may be able to find some good deals

Depends what you want it for to be honest. Are you looking to do anything that needs lots of proceesing capability or storage (i.e. video/audio editing/graphics etc.) or are you just using it for general use?

I've just read that there's a hint of a new gen of macbooko pros coming out sometime soon as there's lots of reduced yet brand new MB Pros being sold via the Apple refurb store, no idea when yet but if you can hold off for a bit you may find yourself with a much better deal.

EDIT - I'd do a biti of shopping around too to be honest, i.e. not from high street retailers, you may be able to find some good deals

Cheers, looking for a buy now pay later sorta deal anyway so I think I'll have to stay highstreet.

But I'm in love already after spending an hour reading up on them this morning, plus the fact Logic is built for Macs has pretty much swayed me.

Archived