Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

Cheers, looking for a buy now pay later sorta deal anyway so I think I'll have to stay highstreet.

But I'm in love already after spending an hour reading up on them this morning, plus the fact Logic is built for Macs has pretty much swayed me.

I've never looked back Sam, there's pro's and cons to everything but Mac's are a lifestyle choice. Just jump in. The water's nice.

Oh and Sam, if you were to go to the 'apple store' with some proof of being in college or Uni or working in or around the public sector you'll get minimum 10% off and they may even chuck in a few freebies like a mouse or a snow leopard upgrade etc.

I've never looked back Sam, there's pro's and cons to everything but Mac's are a lifestyle choice. Just jump in. The water's nice.

Oh and Sam, if you were to go to the 'apple store' with some proof of being in college or Uni or working in or around the public sector you'll get minimum 10% off and they may even chuck in a few freebies like a mouse or a snow leopard upgrade etc.

If you do it over the phone you get more offered than in-store :thumbup:

I tried to ask for the same later in-store and was told a flat 'no'...so back to the phone order I went.

May sound a stupid question, but are external hard drives compatible with Macs?

Yes.

Mac do a time machine that backs up your stuff wirelessly whilst acting as a router too! The first lot all blew up after 18 months but they have now released a 2nd generation..... hopefully these will stay a bit cooler!

£200 notes but very cool.

Sweet, 250gb is similar enough to what I have on my Desktop right now anyway, so that shouldnt be a problem anymore.

Think I'm gonna order mine today or tomorrow, I'm so excited!

Good man, once you go mac, you never go back

Anyone got any tips on the best way to transfer my music from my desktop to my macbook?

Well either bang it on some external media or, depending upon formatting, hook you mac up via usb to your pc and just use your pc as an external drive and copy it across

Anyone got any tips on the best way to transfer my music from my desktop to my macbook?

When you first started up the mac was there not a "transfer my settings/files" option? I'm pretty sure you can usually link the two computers via ethernet and it will automatically transfer all your files, internet favourites, email settings etc etc.

Look for "setup assistant" in your applications folder.

When you first started up the mac was there not a "transfer my settings/files" option? I'm pretty sure you can usually link the two computers via ethernet and it will automatically transfer all your files, internet favourites, email settings etc etc.

Look for "setup assistant" in your applications folder.

Sounds easy enough, just gotta find the right cable to do it

Sounds easy enough, just gotta find the right cable to do it

Just opened mine (my mac is a few years old so it could well be different now) and it says that you can use a firewire cable. That was for mac to mac, i'd imagine you can use a usb 2.0 for mac to pc.

Open the application, it should tell you.

Just opened mine (my mac is a few years old so it could well be different now) and it says that you can use a firewire cable. That was for mac to mac, i'd imagine you can use a usb 2.0 for mac to pc.

Open the application, it should tell you.

Ive read about the firewire cable thing, just dont think I have 1, nor a usb with the right connections to plug from a PC to Mac if you get me

Can you whack all your data in a shared area and access it from your mac wirelessly?

May take alot longer, not knowing how much data you have.

You're after a straight type A to type A connecter for USB. Most peripherals use a different connector at one end.

Firewire aren't usually shipped as a standard connector these days I don't think, not even sure if pc laptops have them as a standard anyway? :unsure:

I just wanna transfer 50gb of music over to the Mac.

Whats the shared area method? How do I go about that?

This probably sounds awfully stupid, but if your computer illiterate, like me, then i'd be putting music onto a memory stick, then putting it on the mac, then wiping the memory stick, and repeating this process.

If it's that amount mate I'd definitely advise not going that route.

Take a look at that apple discussion thread that babs posted to see if that can help you sort it quickly.

If not do you have enough space on an external HD maybe to copy it across? That's be the quickest way. apparently the new itunes has a consolidate option that will basically tidy up you library for you and put all your music in one place making your life a hell of alot easier

Jehst/Edmund has suggested copying it over from my iPhone/iPod, only problem is I dunno where to access the iPhone from out of iTunes lol

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Indeed, that's effectively just using the iphone/pod as an external drive.

Should appear in your device list on the left hand side

Copy it all onto your iphone/pod (or as much as you can fit), unplug it from your pc plug it into your mac and :fc: it shouldn't ask you to reformat your device. Then depending upon the rights management on your music file, your may be able to just copy them straight off or use an application like ipod rip (Link) and rip them off the device

Hope that's straightforward

Indeed, that's effectively just using the iphone/pod as an external drive.

Should appear in your device list on the left hand side

Copy it all onto your iphone/pod (or as much as you can fit), unplug it from your pc plug it into your mac and :fc: it shouldn't ask you to reformat your device. Then depending upon the rights management on your music file, your may be able to just copy them straight off or use an application like ipod rip (Link) and rip them off the device

Hope that's straightforward

Right, I'll give it ago, I'll come back inabit and say whether it worked.

Cheers all.

Yeah think you'll definitely need a application like ipod rip to do it. The old ipod I use to have allowed me to use it as an external drive and an ipod. My iphone won't let me do that though, it certainly won't let you just take it off the ipod onto another computer... that's to stop people just filling their ipods with music and then just giving it all to somebody else!!

Archived