Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

I'm locking up when I use an old external drive.

I'm trying to grab off all my old stuff and so it is slightly annoying.

I can but recommend the Western Digital external harddrive line-up. They're reliable, fast, eco-friendly and some even come with RAID.

I can but recommend the Western Digital external harddrive line-up. They're reliable, fast, eco-friendly and some even come with RAID.

I have drives which work - this is my old external Maxtor 750 which I used with the last lappy to back up everything vital.

I'm narked it keeps messing me about.

iSlate. Hmmm. I am wondering what exactly they are going to do with this. Obviously it will do everything the iphone/ ipod touch does... what else? I cannot believe they will just come out wth a big iphone. Got to be a game changer in there. Exciting stuff.

It's going to be the first real-life Transformer.

iSlate. Hmmm. I am wondering what exactly they are going to do with this. Obviously it will do everything the iphone/ ipod touch does... what else? I cannot believe they will just come out wth a big iphone. Got to be a game changer in there. Exciting stuff.

It'll be a cross between a laptop and an iPod... can't see where else it's going to go. It'll have lots of neat functions still no doubt. I just hope it runs a proper OS and not just the iphone OS... otherwise I just don't see the point!!

Sky News were reporting that it'd have a price between £350 and £600.

If it is then I could be mighty tempted, at three fifty I'd definitely be getting one even if my head tells me to wait for the second version.

I am now predicting that this tablet will be the future of portable gaming. Forget your PSP or DS. I hear from a certain major games manufacturer that they are investing heavily in this angle. Think online gaming made portable with a large touch screen. Could be a goodie.

built in HDTV tuner and pvr

Video conferencing is super stable, but nothing new.

The price will be $599, $699 and $799 depending on size and memory in apple tablet.

wireless keyboard + monitor connection for tv.

running an iphone os flavor with ability to have multiple apps running at same time (ie pandora, browser

the battery life is great in ebook reading mode but not great when on wifi or playing games. 2-3hrs.

2cameras: one in front and one in back (or it may be one with some double lens) so you record yourself and in front of u.

Apple Tablet has thumbpads on each side for mouse guestures, reads fingerprint for security.

Up to 5 profiles by finerprint for family.

Yes, apple tablet is oled

back has solar pad for recharging,

Verizon+att,wifi yes!

2 cameras is sick feature for video conferencing: u shoot what's in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!

Apple tablet games are sick. Basically nintendo wii-level innovation. Custom farmville app is insane.

apple tablet connects to other tablets over wifi for gaming. There will be LAN parties with these things, people playing First personshooters

Sounds good so far!!

I don't think it's for me to be honest. I'm on a computer all day at work, when I get home I have one if I need one, and when I'm in between work or out somewhere I have my iphone.

Once the initial buzz wears off I can't see the numbers getting anywhere near imac or iphone. This is coming from a life long apple lover... having said all of that no doubt i'll have one come summer :D

Not for me. When they release something like this as a substitute for a computer then i'll be first in line, but this seems like a waste of time to me, like the Macbook Air. I'll stick with my iMac and my iPhone for now.

Don't get me wrong though, gorgeous bit of kit as usual.

I'd feel a bit of a tit wandering around using that to be honest. As Jb-101 says, something like this but a full on computer than great, hopefully is just a stepping stone to that eventually. I can see this being shoved in the corner of things to forget along with the iCube!!!

Oh and lets not forget you have to pay another monthly fee to connect via 3G. That will also add £100 to the iPad price should you want the 3G Version.

It's a gadget, it looks great and I want one already.

As wonderful as the iPhone is - the screen is too small most of the time for net-use. I never watch films on the phone either, this'll do me a treat.

Guest DavidJCW

Fantastic looking piece of engineering... but it's just a big iPod.

When they develop it further so that it becomes a replacement to the laptops, that's when this will become something amazing that I will REALLY want... for now though, it's not that appealing.

Do you have a laptop?

Are you ok spending another £15 a month for 3G?

I've got four - one in bits, one running Linux, the wife's PC and my MBP.

But none of them sit comfy on top of my in bed for film watching, none of them slip into a top box for travelling or are so easy to take on board a train.

I hardly use my phone as a phone anymore - so I'm tempted not to bother renewing the contract in June, popping it onto PAYG and spending some of the money I save on the 3G. Even if I don't, £15 is nothing if you're springing £800-odd on the kit.

I hardly use my phone as a phone anymore - so I'm tempted not to bother renewing the contract in June, popping it onto PAYG and spending some of the money I save on the 3G.

Fair point... Not sure why I spend £35 a month considering I only send a few texts and spend the rest of the time using the 3g connection for stuff on it.

Hmmmmm... I can see myself browsing the net using it in bed. If only it played FM, I think i'd definitely be getting one.

Basic iPad is $499 + $130 if you want 3G... how much do you reckon they'll charge in £'s?

On an iMac £1 is equivilant to $1.23, so what's that £405 and £485 for 3G??

Is it just me or is that about the most beautiful thing ever seen. I was actually thinking ealier this is a really difficult pitch, but you know what? This is going to be absolutely huge. You know why? How much is a really good digital photo frame? 120 notes. How much is a laptop with a screen worth looking at? 300 notes. How much is an iphone? 100 notes plus 35 a month. Suddenly 400 or even 500 quid doesn't look that much. Do any of those sit nicely in bed or on my lap on the sofa? No. Do they flip the image? No.

And before you start, if you can't afford to blow 400 quid on this, Apple don't care about you so fu*k off and buy a Dell.

And shit what do laptops do that this doesn't? Sod all for at least 50% of users.

keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg

Guest DavidJCW
Is it just me or is that about the most beautiful thing ever seen. I was actually thinking ealier this is a really difficult pitch, but you know what? This is going to be absolutely huge. You know why? How much is a really good digital photo frame? 120 notes. How much is a laptop with a screen worth looking at? 300 notes. How much is an iphone? 100 notes plus 35 a month. Suddenly 400 or even 500 quid doesn't look that much. Do any of those sit nicely in bed or on my lap on the sofa? No. Do they flip the image? No.

And before you start, if you can't afford to blow 400 quid on this, Apple don't care about you so fu*k off and buy a Dell.

And shit what do laptops do that this doesn't? Sod all for at least 50% of users.

keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg

Whilst I agree that it is a very good looking bit of kit, would be nice to own and will, in several years, take off, at the moment, it's pretty much a useless bit of kit.

Right now, it's nothing but a more powerful iPod touch with a few minor extras. You can get on the internet and can upload music, photo's and videos/films... but it's nothing impressively new. The only big new thing is the books thing but to be quite frank, that's not going to take off that much I wouldn't have thought... people sitting around reading books or newspapers on an iPad? Hmm...

Now you are claiming that this is as good a replacement for a laptop as you'll find for 50% of people or at least that's what I understood from it... I find that hard to believe as I'm pretty sure that at some point pretty much everyone uses Word or some other application that can't at the moment be run on the iPad. Then there are games which for now are only the games that you can get off iTunes... so there'll be no FM or any of the other big games that millions play. So I imagine that this product isn't going to replace a laptop for anyone anytime soon.

HOWEVER, I really think that in the very near future they will be developing, if they aren't already, the option to make this the new laptop and have it work as a computer rather than just an iPod. So I'm going to hold off buying this for now and wait for several years as by then, this could really take off and be the next big thing... just not right now.

I just don't understand why people would pay money for this over a similarly priced netbook. It's basically the same size as one aside from being thinner, so it's not more portable. It's still going to need you to be carrying a backpack or hold it in it's own case. So why would you take this big iPod over a netbook which is probably a lot better specced? Come to think of it, I'm not a major fan of touchscreens in general, but that's a more subjective issue.

I think Apple made a big big mistake not making a proper netbook a while back, instead they went on about how a device at this price range wouldn't meet their quality standards.

Now watch as I'm proved wrong and this thing takes the World by storm :rolleyes:

Archived