Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

All things Mac

ipad..... meh

Really disappointed, im not sure what i actually expected from it.. but i guess it was more than this... to me its just a big touch. Also who is this aimed at? less usable than a netbook and offers little more?

Product without a market?

Will be very interesting to see how it sells.

Fair point... Not sure why I spend £35 a month considering I only send a few texts and spend the rest of the time using the 3g connection for stuff on it.

Hmmmmm... I can see myself browsing the net using it in bed. If only it played FM, I think i'd definitely be getting one.

Basic iPad is $499 + $130 if you want 3G... how much do you reckon they'll charge in £'s?

On an iMac £1 is equivilant to $1.23, so what's that £405 and £485 for 3G??

Anyone tried posting on FT on an iphone? I'm doing it now and the keyboard occupies 5/8s of the screen - editing someone else's post is almost right out.

I don't see the problem with the price - as has been pointed out, it is a step up in quality from anything that offers something similar and you can either afford it or not. Considering I was expecting it to trot out at £900 I'm more than happy with it.

Yep, an OS based more on the X may have been better for running software - but then you run into Macbook territory and start canabalising sales.

I see this appealing to everyone with an iPhone who has the money and makes more use of the other functions than the phoning. Already, I've a wedge of mates who want one - it's only the wife who's pulling faces at me when I talk about it.

Considering the popularity of book apps and the Kindle, I see this being a genuine USP for the pad. Especially for those who get their books *ahem* for free.

I'm stunned that the UK site makes no mention of it though.

Im gonna have to download that later, looks a good laugh.

Yeah it's alright. Less than a mb as well. Let us know when your online, can start a foxestalk game if there's enough of us on.

It's not a laptop.

I've spent well over an hour watching the keynote launch tonight.

I think it will be a popular tool.

I am slightly disappointed that they are not all 3G and slightly surprised they have not yet got an integral isight camera for mobile skype style video.

Aside from that, the ibooks are lovely stuff and the iwork packages are superb..... though I'd prefer to work on my MacBook Pro.

I very much like the idea of e-books. I want a greater range of professional books available though prior to investing.....

I will be waiting for the 2nd generation...... they've probably finished it already anyway.

But I want Office!! And iLife. And i want to be able to play Footy Manager on it aswell. Can it do that? I think not.

And that's exactly the reason why I'm asking myself why Apple went for a tablet in the first place.

It's neither a cell phone nor a laptop computer. Neither fish nor bird.

It's Apple's Frankenstein.

And that's exactly the reason why I'm asking myself why Apple went for a tablet in the first place.

Because most people do nothign more than surf, email, Facebook, twitter, watch programs/films and surf the internet some more.

My wife and the kids don't need a traditional computer at present. This thing will power up straight away, apps will be loaded and running immediately they are selected.

I really do reckon it's a winner.

Look, I love Apple, would trade the world for a MacBook at the moment, but this was meant to be the 'biggest' kit of technology since the iPod. But it's a nothing product. If it becomes a touchscreen laptop, kind of like the touchscreen desktops, but in tablet form, I will be all over it, but its not one thing or the other :unsure:

Because most people do nothign more than surf, email, Facebook, twitter, watch programs/films and surf the internet some more.

My wife and the kids don't need a traditional computer at present. This thing will power up straight away, apps will be loaded and running immediately they are selected.

I really do reckon it's a winner.

Exactly. The Apple business plan goes something like this:

1) Launch relativley basic model, sells to enthusiasts and people who don't need anything more,

2) Add a couple of cameras so people can use skype (I will buy at this point as I am fed up following my daughter around with a laptop..

3) Make it overlap the macbook range - they have shown with the overlap of iMac and Mac Pro that this works.

Making phase 1 so cheap is the really amazing thing. I guess it means this model can continue when the second one comes out in a year.

Archived