Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hugo Sanchez

Leona Lewis

She used to work in the Snibby didn't she? or have I dreamt that.

Dunno I've herd she has links with our area not entirly sure what they are, this event happened in Burton on Trent, allegedly. It could all be lies obviously, although he isn't really one to make stuff up or to boast about stuff he's done, never mind what someone else has done.

• 1 year later...

Congratulations Leona, You've got your hat-trick - Of murdering songs.

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt. (Although, I thought it was a Johnny Cash song originally, I was wrong - He made a good job of the cover though, Leona - Take note)

Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

Snow Patrol - Run.

Please Leona, Stop.

Alternatively, if you're not going to stop, try writing your own songs and stop ruining other people's.

Oh jesus just had a look and she's done a EP of 3 covers - Hurt (NIN), Iris (Goo Goo Dolls), Colourblind (Counting Crows). Gonna try and avoid the Iris cover if I can, I hope I can.

The Nine Inch Nails cover makes me want to cry, so wrong. What makes it worse is that Reznor must've agreed to it in the first place.

The original was so excellent because it's an honest representation of a man caught up in addiction, that's what always made it such a powerful song live. The Cash cover was a brilliant expression of a man looking back at his life - both incredibly poignant (though I'll always prefer the original).

Lewis turns it into something my mum would buy as part of a compilation to 'make her feel better this Mother's Day,' or listen to on Gem Radio. She (Lewis - not my mum) doesn't have a bad voice by any means but butchering one of the greatest songs ever recorded is unforgivable. That said, if she covered March of the Pigs I'd be all ears.

Cheers again Cowell.

She's done Iris and Colourblind as well? That's ****ing disgusting.

What actually sickens me more than her audacity is the fact that Counting Crows, the Goo Goo Dolls but - worst of all - TRENT ****ING REZNOR would actually sell her the rights!

I rarely get angry about music or snobbish about pop music but this genuinely, GENUINELY annoys the shit out of me.

What actually sickens me more than her audacity is the fact that - worst of all - TRENT ****ING REZNOR would actually sell her the rights!

I rarely get angry about music or snobbish about pop music but this genuinely, GENUINELY annoys the shit out of me.

Too true, especially when that song is widely regarded (rightly or wrongly depending on personal preference) as his greatest achievement. Still think the guy's a genius, easily one of the most innovative musicians in the world and his missus is sensational. Difficult not to feel disappointed in an odd way, though.

I'm gonna listen to Pretty Hate Machine and cheer up.

I'm sure I heard someone on the radio say that X-Factor didn't need Damien Rice's permission to cover Cannonball, so maybe it's the same here.

I always thought you did need permission to cover a song, so I'm not gonna pretend I know what I'm talking about, it's just something I half heard on the radio.

I may be wrong here but I didn't think you needed permission to make a cover tune of a published song, compulsory licensing allows you to do so. As long as you don't change the lyrics or the basic melody, you don't need permission. If you start making changes, the composer has to approve, because you are creating a derivative work. Tricky to tell how much change is okay for a cover versus making a new derivative, always a fact-intensive case-by-case thing.

For covers made under compulsory license, you pay the statutory royalty rate to the publisher.

But it might differ from country to country, its a tricky path.

I love her cover of hurt... well if it was any other song but hurt - it doesn't have any feeling/meaning like the original or, my fave, the JC version.

As a song though the vocals are excellent (as always) and the production is great.

Producer's Pop at its finest. All polished, all smooth, lacking everything a good song has... character.

I'm surprised she's still around - does the lack of proper own material mean we won't hear her any longer in the future?

If so, I'd be more than glad.

Johnny Cash singing "Hurt" is an entirely moving experience, because there's one old guy actually relating to the song.

What does Leona Lewis (or her producer) relate to?

Archived