Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zingari

VHS Video capture

dunno if anyone can help with this but i've been trying to convert old vhs tapes on to either discs or external hard drive and can get the picture , but no sound onto the recording

i have connected the "dazzle video capture unit" to an output scart from the video source and then connected to computer via usb

any suggestions ( in plain language ) appreciated , thanks in advance

When you play the tape in the video source do you get sound on the TV?

Are you using the correct scart? Some scart connectons have an input / output selection, I had to buy one for recording via a scart lead to my archos video recorder.

41038HPWWBL._SS500_.jpg

When you play the tape in the video source do you get sound on the TV?

Are you using the correct scart? Some scart connectons have an input / output selection, I had to buy one for recording via a scart lead to my archos video recorder.

41038HPWWBL._SS500_.jpg

yes there is sound coming out of the combination tv/video ( video source) and i am using the "output" switch on the scart connection ( i have tried 3 different ones so i don't think there is a problem with the leads , i have tried 2 different video players as well )

thanks

Then the problem must be the PC settings.

On your PC's master volume settings, what is the input volume set at? With XP you double click on the speaker in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

i have got them all at full volume an all unclicked on the mute buttons

edit; when i press that button i only seem to get options for output , not input

I had a problem similar to this with my Grabbee widget and had to get up to date drivers and reinstall. mind you it took ages and at least 20 emails to a guy in China to sort it.

Best of luck.

PS Have you tried alternative software, there's a free one on the web called Debut.

I had a problem similar to this with my Grabbee widget and had to get up to date drivers and reinstall. mind you it took ages and at least 20 emails to a guy in China to sort it.

Best of luck.

PS Have you tried alternative software, there's a free one on the web called Debut.

thanks will give it a try ,

my room looks like batteresea power station with all these wires tvs and video players about now :D

edit; when i press that button i only seem to get options for output , not input

Thtas sound right as you are using a USB rather than sound card to record. I just thoughtit was worth checking incase the software you installed needed it.

Top tip, do what Davie G said

Thtas sound right as you are using a USB rather than sound card to record. I just thoughtit was worth checking incase the software you installed needed it.

Top tip, do what Davie G said

installed debut , (only took a few seconds ) but still only getting picture recording but no sound

thanks to both for help anyway :thumbup:

seems to be recording sound now on playback on the original arcsoft programme , not exactly sure what i did :dunno:

but although i get picture during recording there in still no sound from pc speakers while recording ,

so unless i do a short sample before i'm not sure if sound is being recorded until playback

but thanks all anyway :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just bringing this old thread up again because I recieved my USB capture card today. The idea is to record all my VHS tapes onto my PC.

Got some free software with it, but after about 4 hours of no picture and only sound, I've come to the conclusion that doesn't work. Downloaded different software but that is **** as well, so has anyone got a link to decent software? And, has anyone (or knows someone that has) ever achieved copying VHS to PC before?

In need of help. Many thanks. So bored of it not working, but still looking for software :glare:

Can't help with the whole capture card thing, but the way I got VHS onto comp was, bought a cheap DVD recorder from asda for about £60 I think, connected video with scart lead and copied onto DVD. Then used DVD copying software to put on comp. Long winded I know but works!

I've always found the easy way is just to copy VHS onto DVD by using a DVD recorder them uploading it. Using low tech is an easy way to remove copy protection and record DVDs. Copy DVDs to VHS then onto a recordable DVD. It's a long but cheap and easy way to do it

Archived