Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

HDMI cable

I got a nice little compaq Presario with an HDMI outlet. Got myself the cable and plugged into the Telly.

Picture is spot on, but i dont get any sound. When i checked the devices list, the HDMI is not listed there?

Can anyone asssist please?

You should definitely be able to get sound via a HDMI cable, I did with my new laptop.

When you go into the sound menu, right click and see if you can bring up 'show disabled devices' if you tick that, it should (in theory) bring up the HDMI sound outlet (well it did for me anyway)

i have the same problem but just go straight from my laptop to my stereo...

would what you suggest only work when the cable is plugged in?

Try this...

Control Panel...

Hardware And Sound..

Change System Sounds...

and then under playback set HDMI as default.

Thats what i had to do anyway.

well, i only have 'speakers' or 'spdif interface' as options, and i don't even have an spdif output :dunno:

Try this...

Control Panel...

Hardware And Sound..

Change System Sounds...

and then under playback set HDMI as default.

Thats what i had to do anyway.

well, i only have 'speakers' or 'spdif interface' as options, and i don't even have an spdif output :dunno:

Similar here, the HDMI does not show in the list at all, i have speakers and headphones (i think)

A 3.5mm audio out lead splitting into a red/white stereo input on the TV should do it?

That's how it works for me because the HDMI doesn't carry the audio signal.

ditto, but it said on the box that it does :dunno:

A 3.5mm audio out lead splitting into a red/white stereo input on the TV should do it?

That's how it works for me because the HDMI doesn't carry the audio signal.

Thanks... grrr, i thought that HDMI was supposed to carry both Video and audio. Bloody buggery computers.. main reason i upgraded was the HDMI idea :(

edit... from everyones fave "wikipedia"

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data

HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video; up to 8 channels of digital audio;

According to this.. it should transmit both... grrr

• 2 weeks later...
mine worked with spdif - handy.

:thumbsup:

:frusty::frusty:

finally got time to check this... and mine does not show spdif :( just headphones of computer.

Any thoughts anyone... ive tried our friend google and he/she could not help :(

Archived