Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Uploading / downloading limits?

Can someone explain in laymen's terms what constitutes uploading and downloading.

Recently I've had bandwidth problems with my 'davieG's Gallery highlights website. I've since started using megaupload for people to download the highlights from and now for the first time ever I've exceeded my internet 10gB usage.

What activities contribute to my 10gB usage?

Thanks in advance.

It is measured in the amount of data in bytes, or mega-bytes, or Giga-bytes transferred across your connection. This means how much data you upload & download, note: when you request a web page or make a google search you are making an upload & when you download an image, web page, film clip or file you are downloading data (upload >>>>is a request to a server, whilst download<<<<< is data sent from the server to your machine).

No.2 Both uploads & downloads use your allowance up by transferring data across the connection.

No.3 How much data you transfer across your connection is purely down to you and how much you use the internet & its various services.

What your best doing in future is to download this and have it running in the background.. Atleast then you'll know for certain where your usage is going.

NetWorx – Free Bandwidth Monitoring and Usage Reporting

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

It is measured in the amount of data in bytes, or mega-bytes, or Giga-bytes transferred across your connection (broadband phone line). This means how much data you upload & download, note: when you request a web page or make a google search you are making an upload & when you download an image, web page, film clip or file you are downloading data (upload >>>>is a request to a server, whilst download<<<<< is data sent from the server to your machine).

No.2 Both uploads & downloads use your allowance up by transferring data across the connection.

No.3 How much data you transfer across your connection is purely down to you and how much you use the internet & its various services.

So you don't actually have to download (save) a video or music to your pc for it to be classed as downloading, just viewing/listening on line constitutes downloading.

So if I have a 10gb monthly allowance and I upload 1gb of football highlights that takes up a fair old chunk of my allowance? hmm I might have to curtail some of the highlights I upload.

Ok thanks for the info much appreciated.

are you talking about the bandwidth allocation for your website or from your ISP, for your own internet usage?

Both, initially I over ran my bandwidth allowance on my website so I started using megaupload to avoid that but now I've overrun my monthly 10gB internet usage, to get unlimited usage I need to fork out another £5 / month.

Get yourself on Virgin mate, unlimited bandwidth! Handy!

I can get unlimited if I pay £10 instead of £5.

I had Virgin (NTL) for years and they kept promising me a digital service for more than 5 years it's finally arrived this January about 3 years too late.

So your suggestion is not much help and not what I was after unfortunately. Besides I've had a satisfactory response now.

It's not really though is it, download too much during peak hours and it gets capped, normally seems about 1/20th of the speed.

If I download over a gig, I get reduced from 1mb per second actual download speeds (I'm on 10mb connection), to around the 250kb per second mark.

What I mean by unlimited is the fact that I can download however much I want, gigabyte wise, each month, and get charged a fixed monthly rate, I didn't mean I get unlimited usage at full speed.

Archived