Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

HELP!

Help - just clicked on a picture (of dim sum of all things!) :rolleyes::glare: and suddenly had a 'your computer is infected with malware' pop up box appear telling me to download something from bestpc-virusscanner. I didn't as it seemed a little odd.

Immediately an additional webpage opened in firefox (which I had open) with this in the address bar: http://bestpc-virusscanner.com/scn1/?id=%3...2NzY0NI0OaA%3DM - it seems to be showing the various drives on my laptop (much like if you clicked on 'explore' - 'my computer' and has the standard red flashing 'virus' warning symbol showing 11 threats under shared docs, 23 under my docs, 24 on c drive and 11 on D drive. With the message 'Computer scan completed successfully. 31 Malware programms was found' (yes, it was spelt/written like that!). When I move anything on that page I get a pop up box saying I've chosen to open Setup_156.exe which is a binary file from http://best-pc-virusscanner.com - would you like to save this file? I haven't, I've just clicked cancel but it reappears whenever I go back to that page. It says 'Your computer is infected' and lists: W32/Virut.a! (critical risk), Exploit-MSWord (critical), Win 32:Delf-XQ (critical). A 'Windows Security Alert' box has also appeared saying it's detected trojans (lists them) and is ready to remove them.

It all looks a bit suspicious though. Is it trying to force me to download something that will then infect my lappy or is it for real and I need to click 'remove all' and let windows security do it's stuff? My own ESET NOD32 antivirus is bang up to date and picked up nothing (it's always done the job before) and I've just run a full scan with it and it's come up as nothing infected and nothing cleaned.

Help.....?!!!!

Help.....?!!!!

YOu could run your own virus scan and see what it comes up with.

Seems like a random pop-up message, although the fact it recognises all your drives/files is a bit odd.

I'm no computer whizz so I'd wait for a proper answer before doing anything lol

Sounds like the zlob virus or a variation of it. If you download it, it'll do a scan for you and find bogus threats, and then tell you that you have to pay to get them removed. You'll pay, it'll tell you there's nothing there and remain for a few weeks before saying you have to pay again :)

But you've not downloaded or installed it so it should be fine. Probably best to run a Malware Bytes scan though :thumbup:

I would say you just went on dodgy site. Just do usual, scan with antivirus etc.

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks. :smile:

It's all Foxforever's fault, anyway. I was only trying to educate him on dim sum - he can do his own googling in future. :glare:

Sounds like the zlob virus or a variation of it. If you download it, it'll do a scan for you and find bogus threats, and then tell you that you have to pay to get them removed. You'll pay, it'll tell you there's nothing there and remain for a few weeks before saying you have to pay again :)

But you've not downloaded or installed it so it should be fine. Probably best to run a Malware Bytes scan though :thumbup:

All seems fine now but, yes, I will do. Thanks. :cool:

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks. :smile:

It's all Foxforever's fault, anyway. I was only trying to educate him on dim sum - he can do his own googling in future. :glare:

Well I was told they were Dim Sims. lol.

If it was Dim Sum, I genuinely know what they are. I thought Dim Sim was some Australian thing cos Soccerroo Fox mentioned it!

Well I was told they were Dim Sims. lol.

If it was Dim Sum, I genuinely know what they are. I thought Dim Sim was some Australian thing cos Soccerroo Fox mentioned it!

s'RooFox tho, innit. He's foreign and can't write proper. :rolleyes::whistle:

Archived