Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Alan Wake

Has this one slipped everyone's radar?

The trailer looks really, really good and the atmosphere reminds me of Twin Peaks/The Shining.

A game I'm really looking forward to.

Made by the same folks who were responsible for the great Max Payne series.

• 1 month later...

Has this one slipped everyone's radar?

The trailer looks really, really good and the atmosphere reminds me of Twin Peaks/The Shining.

A game I'm really looking forward to.

Made by the same folks who were responsible for the great Max Payne series.

It's an amazing experience, feels like as if you're thrown straight into a Twin Peaks/X-Files/Secret Window surrounding. The atmosphere is unique, just like a really good horror movie that refrains from using too much gore.

Chilly feel to it, goosebumps guaranteed.

There are no definite single highlights that stick out, it's the game itself.

Just got the game today! I'm gonna play tonight though, maybe it'll make it more scary. Horror games now days suck. The new silent hill games are horrible and Resident evil 5 is NOT SCARY, as the ones on ps1 rule. Hopefully Alan Wake will bring back the survival horror franchise

It's an amazing experience, feels like as if you're thrown straight into a Twin Peaks/X-Files/Secret Window surrounding. The atmosphere is unique, just like a really good horror movie that refrains from using too much gore.

Chilly feel to it, goosebumps guaranteed.

There are no definite single highlights that stick out, it's the game itself.

I agree, i love it. :thumbup:

I'm currently trying to figure out what TV series/movies the game does refer to:

X-Files - the flashlight; the music sounds like straight off a Mark Snow CD; the fog and eerie sound effects

Stephen King - nods to The Shining & It

In The Mouth Of Darkness - writer-turns-loony, the manuscripts, the power of writing :mrgreen:

Secret Window - writer with a writer's block goes to remote cottage,

and is blackmailed

Twin Peaks/David Lynch - the creepy, small-town setting in Washington State, the diner, coffee (one achievement's called "That's A Damn Good Cup Of Coffee") and pie

The Twilight Zone - the hilarious "Night Springs" episodes on the in-game TVs

The Birds - the look and feel to the town, birds lol

It plays and looks so much better than your typical zombie-slashing, blood-feast action adventure. It has influences from Resident Evil, Alone In The Dark, Silent Hill and Remedy's very own Max Payne (the voice-over sounds similar, the nightmare/flashback parts bring back memories & the Magic Bullet-technique similar to the one shown in "The Matrix" is here used whilst dodging attacks) and mixes it with a surprisingly well-balanced result. The game is never unfair, it mostly boils down to you making a mistake yourself (not carrying enough ammo with you, etc.).

Only negatives so far are the controls (controlled jumping is a bit awkward) and the short playing time - you're through after six episodes and roughly 12 hours of gameplay.

However, there's some replay value with the three difficult settings and Remedy's supposed to issue an additional episode to be available later this year for all those who've purchased an original version of Alan Wake.

• 3 weeks later...

Have now played through Episode 1. Tbh, I'm confused as to why this title has only rec'd on average a score of 83.

So far I've found myself totally engrossed in it - loved the part with the axeman and the JCB driving into the hut. Superb stuff.

It's different, I like different.

This has got to be the most under-rated title of 2010.

It's up there with the likes of Dead Space, RE and Silent Hill for pure survival horror fun.

Dead Space 2 btw, E3, looks quality.

Cant wait for that.

Archived