Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest DavidJCW

Reading Post Match

I felt Weale should have been the one charging out narrowing the angle when they were both on the line, not McGivern. McGivern's mistake was letting Kebe get away to run clean through on goal. That was a basic defensive error and cost us the goal. Fair play to Kebe for not going to ground. I was convinced he'd look for the penalty and get Weale sent off. Fair play to him for not doing that as most footballers probably would do.

Edit: Beaten to the response by Rowlattsfox

My understanding was that is easier for a keeper to save a shot when their feet are planted. A keeper moving towards you is a strikers dream as they can't plant their feet and change direction, instead momentum carries them forward and they can 'fall' one way or the other (usually as the ball is slotted under them). IMO it was definately McGiverns task to close the Reading player down so Weale could keep his feet planted (and have a better chance of making the save).

My understanding was that is easier for a keeper to save a shot when their feet are planted. A keeper moving towards you is a strikers dream as they can't plant their feet and change direction, instead momentum carries them forward and they can 'fall' one way or the other (usually as the ball is slotted under them). IMO it was definately McGiverns task to close the Reading player down so Weale could keep his feet planted (and have a better chance of making the save).

I don't think it's that easy in practice to make the decision. Weale kind of pushed past McGivern at one stage, possibly because he rightly detected some nervousness. But then he realised the ball was out of reach and he hesitated too. Had it been someone more experienced / senior than McGivern, they might have in turn pushed out past Weale and put in a tackle (which in hindsight was the right thing to do). But it's easy to see why McGivern stayed back on the line covering for Weale.

There were one or two similar instances with Hobbs covering the left back position and then him and McGivern not really communicating very well about when to switch back. Not anyone's fault, they've not played together much.

I don't think it's that easy in practice to make the decision. Weale kind of pushed past McGivern at one stage, possibly because he rightly detected some nervousness. But then he realised the ball was out of reach and he hesitated too. Had it been someone more experienced / senior than McGivern, they might have in turn pushed out past Weale and put in a tackle (which in hindsight was the right thing to do). But it's easy to see why McGivern stayed back on the line covering for Weale.

There were one or two similar instances with Hobbs covering the left back position and then him and McGivern not really communicating very well about when to switch back. Not anyone's fault, they've not played together much.

You're probably right, I almost forget that McGivern was thrown in with 20 minutes to go on Sunday. It is indeed quite hard to build up a backline with good understanding without playing lots of games. I almost feel sorry for McGivern in a way. Yesterday he walked off looking dejected because all he seems to get is grief. Unfortunately IMO there is just not enough games to devlop that understanding without being detrimental to our final push.

The first goal was McGivern's fault, no doubt about it. What was he doing standing next to Weale for? Ugh.

I'm with you despite some of the other opinions. First of all McGivern was incredibly weak when the through ball was played (getting shrugged off by Jimmy Kebe is an embarrassment). Then, just like normal, McGivern backs off and lets the winger pick his spot. Weale is a goalkeeper, a keeper of the goal. If there is a defender there, the defender must close him down. Epic fail as per usual from Ryan McGivern. The bloke is horrendous, he makes the likes of Alan Rogers and Peter Gilbert look good, and that's speaking seriously. I also think he makes Weale and the other defenders jittery, because they know the ball will come into the area when it's down his side.

Please Mr. Pearson if you are as brilliant as everyone on here thinks, you will never play this imbecile again.

Not read through this thread, not sure I want to, I'll add my view and leave it at that.

McGivern has to got to go and his in denial big time if he honestly thinks he's getting into the Man City team, Send him to Scotland or non-league. Simples

(He restored a slight bit of confidence and faith in him on Sunday the chucked it all away again last night)

Having said that barr Dyer I don't think many of our players had a great game, We made the chances that could and should have won us the game - Same old that we never make the most of our chances though, Performance wise we deserved to lose, we deserve to get a spanking.

Big game Saturday now - Like it has been all season when we've drew/lost/disappointed we've followed up with a result that makes us forget about the previous games and results - I hope that continues with a big win over Derby.

McGIVERN OUT!

(And no I don't blame him for the loss - Do blame him for the 1st goal, but not the loss...He's just useless though...I'd rather player a 40 year old, one of our own youth players...Fuck it, I think i'd actually prefer to see Alan Birchenall play instead of McGivern)

I wasn't there yesterday but I would say this:

We are in major danger of going a minimum of 5 games without a win, given our next three fixtures.

I did a little bit of maths at lunchtime today.

Points per game when Ryan McGivern has played 45 minutes plus: 1.22

Points per game when Ryan McGivern has played less than 45 mins: 1.72

For one player to have that much of a swing is remarkable. Or maybe it's just that we're spoilt with Berner?

I wasn't there yesterday but I would say this:

We are in major danger of going a minimum of 5 games without a win, given our next three fixtures.

I did a little bit of maths at lunchtime today.

Points per game when Ryan McGivern has played 45 minutes plus: 1.22

Points per game when Ryan McGivern has played less than 45 mins: 1.72

For one player to have that much of a swing is remarkable. Or maybe it's just that we're spoilt with Berner?

Abit of both really, I mean Berner is our player of the season IMO, he's been immense but McGivern is beyond shite, one extreme to the other.

I thought Reading were half decent, Kebe is an absolute beast, touch of a rapist but looks dangerous coming forward and McGivern took an hour to get to grips with him. The first goal was some of the worst defending I have seen since the days of Tony Spearing/Nicky Platnauer at left back.

Midfield went missing, although I though Spearing (Jay, not Tony) showed potential, Waghorn and Dyer ran their guts out.

Poor result but think it will be more than made up for at Derby and I am not writing us off at WBA either.

Think we are slowly starting to see why Weale didn't make it at Bristol City, his distribution is the worst I've seen in any keeper at this level, you'd have thought a keeper of his age would have mastered the art of a long goal kick, but more often than not they are far off the 'target'. He's not even comfortable throwing the ball out.

Yeah you're right, he's been shit. Not just last night but for the best part of the season.

7 points clear of 7th with a game in hand and few games left.

West Brom are out of reach now, we can afford a good few losses more yet and still make the playoffs although it would be nice to go into them with form.

Enough of this football talk, did anyone else see Emma Rigby (from Hollyoaks) outside after the game she was with an older women. :wub:

Yes I saw her! I thought I was imagining it when I saw her at first, but it was definitely her. It was the best bit about the game. She looked stunning!

Just seen the goals on FoxesPlayer. The first goal was a disgrace. McGivern yet again beaten by a through ball where he goes sliding in and misses the ball. Then Weale and McGivern were a bunch of clowns trying to get back to stop Kebe, yet neither of them get anywhere near Kebe and it's a schoolboy goal to concede. Those defending McGivern can't even argue that he went to cover the line - if you look at his movement and position when the ball goes into the net he's about 3 yards in front of the line and it's absolutely woeful defending. He really is a disaster in every game and needs to be booted out asap.

Can't comment on the rest of the game but Nobby was pretty stupid in bringing down Church like that, although Morrison was beaten far too easily too.

I love reading insightful comment, it's why I come here.

Another nugget of wisdom from the man who keeps changing his name and resetting his post count to continue to act like a nob on here.

Real disappointment last night, but I was half expecting it tbh. Said so before leaving for the game and it truly went pear shaped by 10pm. :rolleyes:

I thought the lack of change on our part, particularly in the second half as it dragged on brought about our downfall to some extent. NP makes too many late changes and decisions are made in reaction to the opposition changes, rather than being pro-active changes putting the opposition on the back foot. This has happened all too often and I think we err on the side of caution a little too much.

We're better than this.

Dyer was on absolute fire last night and yet we continued with long ball to Waghorn who always had four around him. Why not play quick passing football into feet and make Dyer a constant threat? All Reading did was play in Kebe every time. We should play to our strengths on a more regular basis. This long ball crap is crap.

And bringing on Spearing was a bad move. Reading became more and more physical as the 2nd half progressed and he was totally muscled out and ineffective. Wrong game to bring him in on.

3 tough away trips it is then. We'll probably come away with more than expected from them as we seem to enjoy doing things the hard way. :rolleyes:

Have to admit I saw the game a lot differently to a lot of people on here.

In the first half I didn't think we were bad on the ball at all. Played some nice, composed stuff and despite the groans of the crowd, kept possession well for long periods. It helped that Wellens, King and Oakley looked a lot more willing to collect off the back four than they did in the second half on Sunday. One exception to the good play was Solano, who despite his obvious quality on the ball, frustrated me immensely with his continued use of the outside of his right boot. There were times where we made some silly decisions (Morrison and Gallagher in particular) but these will eventually fall if we continue playing like we have been doing.

Our goal was terrific play albeit the result of a defensive slip, and there was a period around the goal where we could have scored 2 or 3 times.

In the second half we seemed to resort more and more to the long ball as time began to run down. So so frustrating because if we kept the ball on the floor and increased the tempo when it needed it, I think we could have broken them down. Was a very poor second period.

Now, off the ball. Their first goal was a shocker in so many ways, and if it wasn't for a block from Solano we could have suffered a repeat when Kebe's diagonal run bamboozled McGivern again. I was a bit disappointed with the way we defended the first ball yesterday. Hobbs invariably won his headers, but when Long and Kebe (second half Church and Rasiak), pressured MM, RM or NS, we struggled and their flick ons were dangerous. So ironic that their winner came from the opposite side to where all the trouble was during the game!

Ahh well, things to work on and it'll keep us honest. Blues.

Archived