Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Lyrical Masterpieces.

Before we begin - can I please beg all of you, particularly the younger generation (I'm looking at you, ForForeveremo[!],) to think before you post.

Don't take the term "genius" lightly. I'm open minded enough to take suggestions from any era of music and from even the most maligned of artists - but I highly doubt that Paramore or Enter Shikarki have ever really sipped from the cup of true inspiration and brought forth pure poetry; and the same can be said for Kanye-fucking-West.

But culture-snobbery aside, come one come all and spit out your suggestions!

The thread's inspired by, perhaps, one of my favourite poem-come-songs ever penned:

Being lyrically good isnt always determined that easily, someone might find certain lyrics to a song meaningful to them in there life, and yet the lyrics might be quite basic and yet meaningful.

I was gonna post a Kanye West song as the lyrics are really personal to me and my life, but nevermind haha!

There are lots of songs that, lyrically, really hit a note with me and are very personal and very emotional to me.

That doesn't mean I think they're necessarily brilliant poetry, tell a great story or are particularly fantastic wordsmanship. That's not really what I'm going for here - The Cranberries "No Need To Argue" makes me roar all the time, as a classic example, but lyrically it's just simple. It's pure chance that it strikes a chord.

Will get round to listening to the above in a moment, currently have a fifteen minute Shpongle instrumental on the go as I sip my tea!

[Edit, some time later: Both excellent. Musically wasn't really into the Nas piece at all but I really enjoyed ESP. I admit I had to google some of the words, haha, but yeah I can see why they appeal.]

Before we begin - can I please beg all of you, particularly the younger generation (I'm looking at you, ForForeveremo[!],) to think before you post.

Don't take the term "genius" lightly. I'm open minded enough to take suggestions from any era of music and from even the most maligned of artists - but I highly doubt that Paramore or Enter Shikarki have ever really sipped from the cup of true inspiration and brought forth pure poetry; and the same can be said for Kanye-fucking-West.

But culture-snobbery aside, come one come all and spit out your suggestions!

The thread's inspired by, perhaps, one of my favourite poem-come-songs ever penned:

What an album that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEs5FMYeVQY

Illmatic, probably 1 of the greatest showings of lyricism from a Hip-Hop album ever.

Hope this gets your approval Finners :D

One of my fave Hip Hop albums.

What's goin on - marvin gaye

Bob Dylan - Hard Rain's Gonna fall

Are 2 that spring to mind.

Agree with you on Blood on the Tracks, probably one of my favourite complete albums of all time.

For sheer vitriol it was massively tempting to put up Idiot Wind in this thread as well but that might have seemed like me trying to turn this into a Dylan wank-fest. Truly is one of the most spiteful and hurtful pieces of literature, though!

this one should be up your street Finners! I love this version by The Pogues

The lyrics to this song are just so emotive especially the last 2 verses

So they collected the cripples, the wounded, the maimed

And they shipped us back home to Australia

The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane

Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla

And as our ship pulled into Circular Quay

I looked at the place where my legs used to be

And thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me

To grieve and to mourn and to pity

And the band played Waltzing Matilda

As they carried us down the gangway

But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared

Then turned all their faces away

And now every April I sit on my porch

And I watch the parade pass before me

And I watch my old comrades, how proudly they march

Reliving old dreams of past glory

And the old men march slowly, all bent, stiff and sore

The forgotten heroes from a forgotten war

And the young people ask, "What are they marching for?"

And I ask myself the same question

This song is just f**king genius in terms of lyrics

be it the original NIN or the Cash version the lyrics to the song never fail to hit the spot, I think everyone can relate to them in some way, it's such a personal song but one that you can share if that makes sense

It's lovely Jeff Lewis and his 'Williamsburgh Will Oldham Horror'. Not many folk write songs questionning the validity of being an artist which then end by getting bummed by someone who may or may not be renowned alt country singer Will Oldham, and I think that's a shame

This song is just f**king genius in terms of lyrics

be it the original NIN or the Cash version the lyrics to the song never fail to hit the spot, I think everyone can relate to them in some way, it's such a personal song but one that you can share if that makes sense

Beat me to it mate. Even if it's performed intimately or at a festival, Hurt is a jaw-dropping song.

NIN have got some right gems in their back catalougue, could reel off a cracking list of tracks from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

Right Where it Belongs by them is Hurt-lite, still brilliant. Gutted I never saw them live.

Placebo have some lyrically brilliant tunes as well.

Beat me to it mate. Even if it's performed intimately or at a festival, Hurt is a jaw-dropping song.

NIN have got some right gems in their back catalougue, could reel off a cracking list of tracks from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

Right Where it Belongs by them is Hurt-lite, still brilliant. Gutted I never saw them live.

Placebo have some lyrically brilliant tunes as well.

cool.gif

Archived