Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football Manager 2011

Anyone else get comments about their style of play?

I've always implemented a passing game with good movement, kind of like Barca but more direct. I get regular comments from managers complimenting my passing game saying it's a 'joy to watch' and some suggesting i'd be more successful if I tried shooting more often rather than walking the ball into the net.

Just wondering if people who play different styles get similar sort of comments based on their play?

I've always implemented a passing game with good movement, kind of like Barca but more direct. I get regular comments from managers complimenting my passing game saying it's a 'joy to watch' and some suggesting i'd be more successful if I tried shooting more often rather than walking the ball into the net.

Just wondering if people who play different styles get similar sort of comments based on their play?

I play a short passing style so I get the same as you.

I don't know how to play hoof ball on FM, I've always played passing stuff. Would be nice to see a really direct tactic actually, bet it'd be fairly useful if you were a crap team. I just want to see a team full of Wayne Brown's booting it up field for strikers to chase, reckon it's possible?

Finally had the time to finish my first BSN season with Vauxhall and what a finale! Still shivering as the excitement was a bit too much to bear. Had a decent season and was looking to finish in the play-offs as Telford had built up a massive 15-point gap and only Workington looked set to challenge them. But something inexplicable happened to the front two and they let the whole chasing pack back into it around two thirds into the season. By now my Vauxhall squad, about £500 over the wage budget, had gathered momentum. I'd caught them both up and was sitting at the top with three games to go when the big crunch match away at Telford awaited. They were clearly a level above the rest and I was finding myself 2-1 down until the 87th minute when my moody Brazilian striker Da Silva got a straight red. Downhearted and feeling flat I saw what I thought were the final animations of the match. You know, when you're in the 93rd or 94th minute with three minutes added time and you see a player running after the ball all the way into the stands (glitch?) for a throw-in, but instead my signing of the season Whitwell receives the quick throw by the corner flag and whips in a beauty of a cross which my young midfielder Hewitt-Fisher thumped in with a spectacular volley! Cue shen letting out a small *eep* of glee. Final score 2-2, two matches to go against relegation fodder and sitting one point in front of Telford and three in front of Workington, season over right? Wrong.

Final match of the season away at the huge pitch of Boston Utd. 22 minutes gone and my young keeper makes a horrendous mistake and fists the ball into the net from a freekick. Cue shen in disbelief. Telford were losing but Workington were winning and equal on points with me but I still had a two goal advantage over them. Joshua Vermooten equalizes from a corner right before half-time and shen gains some hope again. But disaster happens. Straight from the second half kick-off Boston have a wonderful attack down my right and are promptly in front again. Cue shen in total dispair. I was playing shit and Boston were in total control of events. Even worse Workington were now leading their match 4-0 and had gone past me despite us having the exact same GD, goals for and goals conceded. And the penultimate nail in the coffin was a reality when Telford equalized in the 73rd minute. I felt so deflated now at the prospect of the play-offs. But then FM conjured up one of those magic moments that only it can do. It's the 86th minute and by now my players are completely knackered after their third game in less than a week, six of them had crossed the line into the 50%s, when up pops Whitwell again on the left who cuts in and plays in old veteren Martin Butler. He holds the ball up and hits a deep cross into the head of a surging Hewitt-Fisher. Yes, the boy had done it again! Ran half the length of the pitch with 53% fitness and planted a beautiful header into the corner. I couldn't believe it. I was now ahead again in the table and my nerves were shot. I went into ultra time-wasting mode, substituted carefully and prayed to (the FM) God that Telford wouldn't score a winner in added time. Game over. Refresh scores. Telford 1-1 Harrogate. What a MASSIVE relief.

It's been a long long time since I've had such a captivating season. Absolutely thrilling! Anyone who can't find a team to play, go down to the very depths of the BSN/S, you won't regret it.

Now excuse me while I have some budget champagne with my fantastic squad of part-timers :D

I don't know how to play hoof ball on FM, I've always played passing stuff. Would be nice to see a really direct tactic actually, bet it'd be fairly useful if you were a crap team. I just want to see a team full of Wayne Brown's booting it up field for strikers to chase, reckon it's possible?

Up until this version I played direct football in all my games. I wouldn't describe it as 'hoofball' but I did always have an emphasis on long passes, putting through-balls in to my wingers and strikers. I predominantly used to play AML, AMR, ST, ST and AMC with the AMC and DMC pinging lengthy balls over the top and behind the opposition.

I never, EVER had the majority of possession but I used counter attacking, home and away, against all teams. I'd always play with the Defending - Attacking slider high up towards attacking, fast tempo, very wide, lots of through balls, very direct, very fast.

Used to use my fast poacher as a "target man" a lot with "run on to ball" to great effect. Only one season ever did I play what could be considered hoofball. It was on either 06 or 07 where having a target man flick on headers for a fast striker was ridiculously over-powered and resulted on stupid amounts of goals.

in '11 though I've put emphasis on way more short passing. I still play very quickly and with a lot of width but now with far more creative freedom, roaming from position. Up until signing Hernandez, I've been playing one-striker systems on all of my saves with a Barcelona-esque 4 5 1 / 4 3 3. I rarely claim to have replicated a real life team's tactics but to be fair I think it was deserved. I was dominating possession - even against good sides - recently with Sankt Pauli I'd have about 65% most games with about 25 odd chances created in a match, insane. My striker is an Advanced Forward and isn't normally the top goal scorer but he does top my assists, creating chances for AMC, AML and AMR who (Treq, inside forward, inside forward.)

Having just signed Abel Hernandez in this Leicester save I've now pushed my MC up to be the second ST. Hernandez plays as a very advanced poacher who doesn't participate as much in the defensive duties but who makes as many forward runs as possible, I've taught him to break offside traps and his high Off The Ball is destroying the Prem. Khouma Babacar is still in the Advanced Forward role and is still top of the Premier League assists.

It's similar to my 4 5 1 / 4 3 3 in that I'm dominating possession but now with a bit more emphasis on getting my strikers in behind their defence as opposed to pegging them back with constant "tiki taka." So, essentially, what I've achieved is a compromise between my old and new strategies.

I'm loving it.

shen what tactics did you use for the blue square north? I've tried 4-1-3-2 and 4-2-2-2 but neither works!

You'll feel it's a bit of a deja vu, but it's a rigid 4-3-3 that resembles what Sosban just described above: Attacking, more roaming and more expressive. I tried this time to stand off more as fitness levels are poor. And from my experience I'd recommend playing with easy tackling or you'll get ridiculous amounts of cards (I ended with over 120 yellows and 8 reds. More than double the second dirtiest team...). I chose to play with three strikers, the middle one either as a trequartista (if he's good enough) or a deep forward on support role (minus the long shots). The two next to him either AF or Poacher, but I kept it classic so that the right footer was in the right slot and left footer in the left as teams are terrible at defending crosses as you might have noticed from my post. The middle MC plays a little bit withdrawn (I set him to central defend) and the two MCs next to him is very much up to you. Central and support is fine. The whole backline was on defend though because they're usually too rubbish going forward anyway. If you're getting overrun by long balls to fast strikers just drop a bit deeper. If you don't create much for a long time you can use the 'play narrower' shout which I've done with much success, and maybe swap your two outside strikers and make them cut inside too.

So after a wee break i have hit FM 11 again and have started my first Premiership season with Leicester and it's been tough so far with only 1 win but that was a 5-0 hammering over Ipswich who also went up

I spent 16.25 million on these players

players.png

All of them will improve over time, so i'm banking on them keeping me up and then establishing us as a PL team.. Add them players to what i have already and i think i have a good chance in staying up but i need to start getting some more wins as i have played 6 games now drew 2, won 1 and lost the rest which included a battering from Arsenal who beat me 7-3 lol

Could you upload your tactic please Sosban? I'm really struggling, and finding it difficult to get a game going now.

Hernandez is a genius!

I swear, if you just read the last couple of pages you'll you'll find an elaborate description of Sosban's tactics. It shouldn't be too hard to use that as a template :dunno:

Tidy midfield. I currently have three wunderkind regens, Dzagoev, Lodeiro, Eriksen and Rakitic.

I like AMCs lol.

8 AMC on my books now, good job some of them (nasri, rosicky, wilshere) can play on the wings and all of them can play as normal CM's as well.

How's rakitic coming along?

Rakitic is like a static crossing platform and set piece machine haha. I play him at AMR and he's very Beckham-esque. Doesn't really take people on but sprays lovely balls around. He got the Prem assist record last year. But then I did score 118 goals haha.

He was 26 when I got him though so he hasn't really improved. Only really signed him as back up cos he was listed but he got in the 11 when a regen was injured and just kept the spot.

Will upload my tactic later.

Archived