Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football Manager 2011

2iazkgm.jpg

A favourite formation from a previous version, if I tried that now I'd get slaughtered. I can't seem to get any consistency in any formation apart from 442.

I've been playing that formation and doing ok, not as successful as I was with a narrow diamond, mind.

I can honestly say that I have never, ever played an FM without AML and AMR. I have experimented with all other positions in the midfield, different numbers of strikers, wing backs, you name it. But I have always, always had wing forwards.

A narrow 4-3-3 has been very succesful for the last two editions and this one one. Managing without attacking wingers isn't that difficult.

The Championship is all about scoring goals. I have never, ever been promoted from the Championship without a decent striker. That's not to say it isn't possible but relying on Chris Wood and Matty Fryatt isn't going to see you storm the league.

I've personally championed the cause of Simon Church up to this point and I do stand by him as an excellent striking option, though he is going to cost you a couple of million. If you only want to sign one striker, for value's sakes, make Leigh Griffiths your first target. You can pick him up from Dundee for about 350k and for that value he's probably the best goalscorer I've found to date (Matias Ezequiel Schelotto is ALWAYS available for free at the end of the first season and can be turned into an incredible striker.)

Next on the list of importance is an Anchor Man. Fortunately for you, Yuki Abe is brilliant in this role. Sit him in the DMC spot and assign him the anchor role and he'll do you absolute wonders.

Lastly, wingers. you can get Aliadiere and Olivier Kapo on frees at the start of the first season and they're both pretty good at AMR and AML respectively. If you want to splash some cash, go for someone like Eagles with a bit of pace instead of picking up Whitt from Cardiff like everyone else.

Stop giving this advice out! Hes at Celtic on the newer patches.

Id say more important than an anchorman (for which i havent played in my fa cup and league cup winning city game) is inside forwards (rather than wingers).

Schelotto just went to Real Madrid on my game for 13m assuming its the same Schelotto.

Must buys in the champo for Leicester first season - Leigh Griffiths, Alex Smithies, Ryan Bennett, Paublo Mouche, Bernard Mendy and John Fleck on loan. Add Hobbs, King, Abe and Tunch to that with maybe 2 new full backs and youll be reet.

Oops. What version are you playing?

I've patched mine a few times but I don't use steam and often don't think to check. Kapo is average, anyway, you can do a lot better if you spend money he was just an example of a handy free agent.

Schelotto is top quality, make no mistake, he will go to tidy clubs but up until the version I'm playing (at least) Atlanta seem to almost be bugged in that they don't extend his contract. He's out on loan at Cesena and his contract has expired on every load for me.

And yes, my AMR and AML are currently set as "Inside Forwards" although I don't stick to the pre-set instructions, I used the advanced option and set my own.

followed up that 3-0 v wales with a 3-1 win over N.Ireland, 4-1 over ROI and 2-1 v England at hampden, shawcross gave them the lead, Mackie on his debut equalised before a last minute winner when charlie mulgrew's free kick was turned into his own net by rio ferdinand.

Got promoted through the P/O's and won the FA cup, beating chelsea 2-1 at stamford bridge in rd 6, arsenal 2-1 at wembley in the semis and villa on penalties in the final.

Got some crazy wage bill in the prem now, signed Nasri and Rosicky on 250k p/m contracts but didn't realise sven had handed out match highest earner clauses to some of his shitter signings, got lower championship/league 1 players on champions league wages.

Premiership manager axe has gone into over-drive: Redknapp sacked from spurs, Chelsea sacked ancelotti and replaced him with mancini, man city have appointed avram grant as his replacement, liverpool have replaced hodgson with mick mccarthy, real madrid sacked mourinho and got in wenger, who's been replaced at arsenal by aguirre.

Signed eriksen, gunter, insua, marcellis, stuani, gordon, mcarthur & gary glen in addition to rosicky and nasri.

Half completed a transition into a mickey adams team though, getting the ball down and playing it but 4 of our 5 league goals have come from corners/free kicks while the other was a long ball down the line, hooked across by the winger and tapped home by a midfielder who'd got foward, still it means marcellis is the 4th top scorer in the league.

Oops. What version are you playing?

I've patched mine a few times but I don't use steam and often don't think to check. Kapo is average, anyway, you can do a lot better if you spend money he was just an example of a handy free agent.

Schelotto is top quality, make no mistake, he will go to tidy clubs but up until the version I'm playing (at least) Atlanta seem to almost be bugged in that they don't extend his contract. He's out on loan at Cesena and his contract has expired on every load for me.

And yes, my AMR and AML are currently set as "Inside Forwards" although I don't stick to the pre-set instructions, I used the advanced option and set my own.

10.3 whatever the newest one is (unless the jan transfers one has come out yet)

I managed to get Eden Hazard today aswell as Babacar but what role would you give each one to get the best out of them?

If up top probably Babacar as Support Target Man and Hazard as AF. You could also switch and make Hazard a trequartista who runs with the ball and Babacar a deep lying forward/defensive forward/target man...

How much money did people get when they got Leicester promoted to the prem? Someone told me he got quite alot more than the 3 million they gave me.

How much extra wage budget did you get? You should get somewhere around 12 million wage budget included I think.

If up top probably Babacar as Support Target Man and Hazard as AF. You could also switch and make Hazard a trequartista who runs with the ball and Babacar a deep lying forward/defensive forward/target man...

Well at moment I have:

a lone striker being babacar as a advanced forward

two wingers

a attacking midfielder being hazard

a box to box midfielder and a deep lying playmaker.

Well at moment I have:

a lone striker being babacar as a advanced forward

two wingers

a attacking midfielder being hazard

a box to box midfielder and a deep lying playmaker.

If it works well for you to have a mobile forward going into the channels I'd put Baba as a deep forward simply because he's so immense at holding up the ball which should maximize the threat of your midfield. If you play more direct football you might want him to stick to the middle of the pitch as a target man. Basically he's so versatile you can use him anyway you like. Fiddle around with it to find out how he performs best in your system.

How much extra wage budget did you get? You should get somewhere around 12 million wage budget included I think.

33M transfer budget and around 2.5M wages.

thats madness, Cant remember wages but don't think it was much, got 3 million for transfers

"Target man" is basically blasphemy in my religion.

So is 'Anchor Man' in mine :thumbup:

But not having at least one player holding up the ball is asking for trouble IMO

thats madness, Cant remember wages but don't think it was much, got 3 million for transfers

I seem to remember getting somewhere around 100-200k more per week to spend on wages relative to the Championship season, which equates to 5-8 million in the transfer kitty. I used all my whole wage and transfer budget the first season as well and was a bit in the red come promotion time.

I play too quickly to necessitate anyone holding up the ball. Holding up the ball is holding up play and giving the opposition time to get back. I like quick, penetrating football and having both of my forwards running on to wonderful through-balls.

King's goal against Derby is exactly the sort of football I like to replicate on FM. Direct but on the deck, pacey and clinical.

My anchor-man is one of the most effective people on the pitch, he acts as a sweeper for my front five. If the opposition clear the ball it's always him gathering and picking out a good pass to keep the pressure on.

I play too quickly to necessitate anyone holding up the ball. Holding up the ball is holding up play and giving the opposition time to get back. I like quick, penetrating football and having both of my forwards running on to wonderful through-balls.

King's goal against Derby is exactly the sort of football I like to replicate on FM. Direct but on the deck, pacey and clinical.

My anchor-man is one of the most effective people on the pitch, he acts as a sweeper for my front five. If the opposition clear the ball it's always him gathering and picking out a good pass to keep the pressure on.

I like the philosophy behind it. Does your team struggle against teams playing very deep (before you can acquire players of Babacar's quality? It sounds very much identical to the tactics I used last year, apart from the role your anchor man has.

My 'anchor man' is essentially a deep playmaker as he's nearly always in space against the formations that the AI teams play. My philosophy is to have a very flexible formation and in a sense keep the opposition 'guessing'. Sometimes I play Babacar as the target man in the middle three, sometimes its Bueno dropping deep as a trequartista. Against weaker opposition I press nearly all over, against stronger teams my players sit back and mostly restrict the oppo to long shots.

Who do you have as your Anchor Man Sosban? I got Vukojevic and he's got great stats but hardly ever gets above 6.9 ratings, is this normal for your anchor men?

Archived