Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football Manager 2011

I hate "Encourage", because it makes sense and is a sensible thing to say yet it seems to be some magical, non-sensical curse that makes you self destruct. I'm not sure I understand SI's reasoning there.

But I think the whole motivation / team talk element is about the weakest part of the game. Every year they come up with something like "New and improved interaction!" blah blah but every year that part of the game is completely overlooked, shame.

To me it's far more important to be able to give my players a bit of the old Martin O'Neill at half time than to tell him every three weeks that he's being a lazy fuck in training or "ask him to suggest a coach" (come on, does that ever happen? And does ANYONE use that feature!?!)

I hate "Encourage", because it makes sense and is a sensible thing to say yet it seems to be some magical, non-sensical curse that makes you self destruct. I'm not sure I understand SI's reasoning there.

But I think the whole motivation / team talk element is about the weakest part of the game. Every year they come up with something like "New and improved interaction!" blah blah but every year that part of the game is completely overlooked, shame.

To me it's far more important to be able to give my players a bit of the old Martin O'Neill at half time than to tell him every three weeks that he's being a lazy fuck in training or "ask him to suggest a coach" (come on, does that ever happen? And does ANYONE use that feature!?!)

Encourage only seems to work when you're behind by two against superior opposition in my experience, which I agree is utter nonsense. And I can only back you up on the motivation issue. They think they've bettered it by making players more susceptible to morale changes through other channels than games, but it's all a bit arbitrary and confusing.

I've only very rarely used the feature you mention, mainly because I was curious. Utterly useless feature. Even more useless is the 'suggest future role' which I've never experienced players respond well to. They always say they're concentrating on playing and that's that. Not that I even see the benefit in suggesting a role :dunno:

About 30 / 40% of the time I've used the "suggest future role" (only ever suggest ones they're already considering on their personal tab) they ask "I can get started right away if you like?" which brings up their staff attributes if you say yes.

Quite a nice feature, although I've never had a player turn in to a good coach or scout, lol.

I was well disappointed when Fab Carini turned into a useless coach.

About 30 / 40% of the time I've used the "suggest future role" (only ever suggest ones they're already considering on their personal tab) they ask "I can get started right away if you like?" which brings up their staff attributes if you say yes.

Quite a nice feature, although I've never had a player turn in to a good coach or scout, lol.

I was well disappointed when Fab Carini turned into a useless coach.

Your right it is a nice feature, on my current Leicester save i have Oakley and Lamey on my staff, Neilson wanted to become a coach too before he left for Ipswich.

neilson.png

oakleyo.png

lamey.png

I tend to find 'for the fans' only works when playing at home in derbies, use 'we can win this' when away against a side that is 'beatable'.

I give each player an individual "You have faith" team talk.

I used to do this a lot more than I do now, now I reserve it for youngsters. I've been a lot, lot more negative / demanding in this version than previous ones as I like the fact I can see when my players are looking complacent or disinterested.

Lost in the Coca Coca Cup final. Yuki missed a penalty.

On the up side, I brought this 18 year old from West Brom for 14million. He's a machine. Finishing 18, heading 18, jumping 17, dribbling 15, first touch 17 etc. Played 5, scored 6.

He's made up but he an instant hero. Greg Perry!! :scarf:

Lost in the Coca Coca Cup final. Yuki missed a penalty.

On the up side, I brought this 18 year old from West Brom for 14million. He's a machine. Finishing 18, heading 18, jumping 17, dribbling 15, first touch 17 etc. Played 5, scored 6.

He's made up but he an instant hero. Greg Perry!! :scarf:

What's his pace?

I love regens. I have a Brazilian called Pires playing for Tranmere with stats like that, he has 17 Pace and Acceleration as well, and 18 off the ball, team work and work rate - he's immense. I normally wouldn't play a forward with composure as low as his (9) because I create a lot of one on ones, but he's devastating.

He's currently leading the Prem assists table with 16 while the chasing pack have about 9/8.

I used to do this a lot more than I do now, now I reserve it for youngsters. I've been a lot, lot more negative / demanding in this version than previous ones as I like the fact I can see when my players are looking complacent or disinterested.

Once again (it's getting a bit weird by now) the 'faith' option is also something I used a lot in previous versions. I think it was FM 08 or 09 when it was the safest thing to pick and you would often get positive responses. This version it is only effective in certain circumstances, and I feel like it's an option that depends heavily on the player personality. When it comes to youngsters, saying 'no pressure' is almost always a safe option especially for their first five senior games.

How did you lot use Yakubu? I just finished my first season and considering he's probably the best player on my side he's been distinctly wank all year. 50k a week and he's been shite. Glad to send him back tbh.

How did you lot use Yakubu? I just finished my first season and considering he's probably the best player on my side he's been distinctly wank all year. 50k a week and he's been shite. Glad to send him back tbh.

Target Man, even bangs them in in the europa league for me :)

my strike force needs some work: Stuani has 4 this season (1 in CS, 3 in EL), Beckford 1 (Prem), Charbonnier 1 (Prem), Glen 0, Vassell 0 and Waghorn 0.

midfield on the other hand is looking good: eriksen, nasri, rosicky, mcarthur, king, abe, vazquez - wingers are poor but i'm bringing in zhirkov to fix that.

coming up to jan and thanks to the board i have 70m to spend: recommend me some strikers (and a right winger).

my strike force needs some work: Stuani has 4 this season (1 in CS, 3 in EL), Beckford 1 (Prem), Charbonnier 1 (Prem), Glen 0, Vassell 0 and Waghorn 0.

midfield on the other hand is looking good: eriksen, nasri, rosicky, mcarthur, king, abe, vazquez - wingers are poor but i'm bringing in zhirkov to fix that.

coming up to jan and thanks to the board i have 70m to spend: recommend me some strikers (and a right winger).

With 70m to spend you have to buy Lukaku, Boubacar and Ben Khalifa. Also invest in Griezmann who is immense and i would suggest Badelj if you dint have Eriksen.

Archived