Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Pro Cycling Manager 2010

Pro Cycling Manager 2010, yes thats right Cycling Manager

So, I've seen this on play and thought ok... had a look at some screen shots and the video and thought, hmmm, ok... but I don't really have the balls to take the plunge without knowing what you actually do with this game. Sadly there doesn't appear to be any playable demo's from a site I would trust so has anyone actually played this (or any of the earlier games) and can tell me what you do and what its like?

Yea I play it, had it for nearly a month now. If you like cycling I fully recommend it, very good game. If you're not really into cycling and just fancy a different game then it might be a bit costly until it comes to be under £10, because a bit of cycling knowledge really helps.

Basically, in the career mode, you simply take control of a team and go through the season. In every stage/race you control each of your riders in the team, and can do allsorts (e.g. team relays at the front of the peloton, send a rider on a breakway, set your some of your riders on low effort so they don't kill themselves off or on the flipside high effort so they don't lose touch with certain opponents, contest sprint finishes). Also like any football game, you're the manager and can control training, new contracts, scouting e.t.c. Once you get into it, it's not as complex and confusing as it first seems to be.

Career isn't the only option, you can just do an stage race like the Tour de France straight off, there's plenty of options and things to do on the game. There's also track cycling but that's a very small part of the game, but it's quite fun.

As for demo's, there have definitely been demo's for 2007 and 2008 so if you could find them somewhere on the net then you'll get a good idea of whether it's your thing or not. I'd defintiely suggest trying to find one of these because for me it's the type of game you'll either love or just think "what on earth is this rubbish!?!". All that's changed in the game since then is vastly improved graphics and obviously the updated teams and riders, the gameplay isn't a lot different so it'll give you the best idea of what to expect.

Feel free to ask anything, I'll try my best to give you a decent answer. :thumbup:

Yea I play it, had it for nearly a month now. If you like cycling I fully recommend it, very good game. If you're not really into cycling and just fancy a different game then it might be a bit costly until it comes to be under £10, because a bit of cycling knowledge really helps.

Basically, in the career mode, you simply take control of a team and go through the season. In every stage/race you control each of your riders in the team, and can do allsorts (e.g. team relays at the front of the peloton, send a rider on a breakway, set your some of your riders on low effort so they don't kill themselves off or on the flipside high effort so they don't lose touch with certain opponents, contest sprint finishes). Also like any football game, you're the manager and can control training, new contracts, scouting e.t.c. Once you get into it, it's not as complex and confusing as it first seems to be.

Career isn't the only option, you can just do an stage race like the Tour de France straight off, there's plenty of options and things to do on the game. There's also track cycling but that's a very small part of the game, but it's quite fun.

As for demo's, there have definitely been demo's for 2007 and 2008 so if you could find them somewhere on the net then you'll get a good idea of whether it's your thing or not. I'd defintiely suggest trying to find one of these because for me it's the type of game you'll either love or just think "what on earth is this rubbish!?!". All that's changed in the game since then is vastly improved graphics and obviously the updated teams and riders, the gameplay isn't a lot different so it'll give you the best idea of what to expect.

Feel free to ask anything, I'll try my best to give you a decent answer. :thumbup:

Top stuff, sounds like I may take the plunge with this one and just get completely confused. I'm still waiting for another Grand Prix Manager game to come out, so this one will act as a similar alternative for the time being.

Oh and might have know you'd played this game consider the Mark Cavandish banner and all - only guy I'd be interested in signing!

Top stuff, sounds like I may take the plunge with this one and just get completely confused. I'm still waiting for another Grand Prix Manager game to come out, so this one will act as a similar alternative for the time being.

Oh and might have know you'd played this game consider the Mark Cavandish banner and all - only guy I'd be interested in signing!

If you do take the plunge then feel free to ask me anything, I by no means a genius at the game or anything but I'm not bad. Currently doing a Team Sky career myself at the moment which is going reasonably well but no groundbreaking results as of yet. You have a sponsor confidence bar on the career home page which shows you how well you're doing. And yes I'd love to sign Cav, quality in real life, quality on the game.

Ok, i've gone and bought it and started my own team. Got to admit, I haven't a clue what I'm doing, however I managed to get one of my blokes to peg it from the start on his own and he held on for a win. Tried that tactic again in the next, it didn't quite work.

Any tips would be greatly received - especially a tip of where the save button is, because its not obvious to me.

Ok, i've gone and bought it and started my own team. Got to admit, I haven't a clue what I'm doing, however I managed to get one of my blokes to peg it from the start on his own and he held on for a win. Tried that tactic again in the next, it didn't quite work.

Any tips would be greatly received - especially a tip of where the save button is, because its not obvious to me.

Give me an idea of who you've got in your team and I'll see if I can give any tips accordingly.

Do the tutorials (if you haven't already), they help you get the hang of the basics. The thing is not to get to hung up about winning every single race/stage going. On flat stages, if you've got a brilliant sprinter (someone like Cavendish), get your team to relay on the front of the peloton so it finishes with a bunch sprint. If you haven't, get one of your blokes into a breakaway and preferably with other riders from other teams that decide to break away, much better chance of success working with other riders than going off on your own. Another thing you can do in stages is attack about 4km from the end, before the actual sprint starts, and hope to get out and cling onto victory. I do it occasionally with Boassen-Hagen who is suited to attacking and is a decent sprinter anyway. Sometimes though, especially if it's a stage race that lasts a while, you just have sit back and make sure your riders stay with peloton, got to think of the bigger picture if you want to win the overall race.

The game autosaves on the career home page so you don't have to worry about that, there isn't a save button on the game.

As I said ask whatever you like I'll try and give you the best help I can.

Archived