Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonny Chee

Civilization V

I'll keep an eye out for Beyond Earth for the next time it is in the Steam sale.

Regarding Civ V, I'm now 300+ turns in to a game playing as England and have expanded to 5 cities, all of which are growing nicely and I seem to be ahead of the other civs in every department. I went to war with Siam and then the Zulus and dominated battle particularly with my ranged land and sea units and also with aerial bombardment. But even after several turns of pounding their cities, I still seem unable to "capture" them? Eventually both counties surrendered with me having decimated their armies and I was happy with that, but I do seem to have a problem "finishing them off"?

I also didn't realise (der) that a city can only work as many tiles as it has citizens. So whilst I was off converting every square inch of my country into farms, lumber mills and mines - it seems this is not necessary. So a question - if a tile is not being worked, then I get no production/food from it? What about a luxury resource - say furs or dyes - if I build the necessary improvement on that tile I thought I was getting that luxury and gaining the happiness bonus? Am I getting the luxury but not the food/production if that tile is not worked?

Haven't played this in yonks. I always find myself getting too into the culture tree or whatever it's called and neglect everything else. Bought the expansions and everything too but never got around to truly testing them out so might have to get on it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished it many times. Neverw on at the top level but managed victories at the second and lower.

Never found the nuclear bomb to be of any use. I tend to concentrate on being top in tech which means my army is always to be feared and I'm an expansionist. as regards farm etc... I auto the workers and then only deactivate auto when I see a need - like road building to join cities etc... I'm generally a pacifist with a threat if attacked.

My son's strategy is completely different he goes hard out military and attempts to wipe everybody out. Even if he doesn't manage this he usually takes out enough cities to give him a clear advantage at any given point in the game, he doesn't mind not being liked, as soon as he rebuilds his military after a conflict he looks for the next sucker to pulverise.

• 10 months later...

So, Civilization VI is incoming, due to be released in October.

Not played V for a while but has got my itching to play again. Like the look of the new one though, a limited amount of unit stacking is back which I think will help especially when you get a large amount of units later in the game.

Been playing this again for the last few days. Nowhere near as good as previous civ games, but still an excellent method of destroying 12 hrs in an otherwise productive day.

I like to initially expand my borders across the full width of a continent to discourage any other nation from building behind me. Did this yesterday and effectively controlled a quarter of the map with only 3 cities. Once they were firmly established, I sent out half a dozen settlers to claim the open expanse. Only needed a couple of ships to patrol the waters, allowing the new cities to forgo building an army and just focus on making money.

Just now, sk3since03 said:

I usually do to be honest, i picked up MadMax for 3.79 off CDkeys a few weeks ago! Thats all ive been playing since 

Good game that. Got it for £10 a few days after release. crazy cheap

On 20/08/2016 at 01:06, winchesterton said:

Been playing this again for the last few days. Nowhere near as good as previous civ games, but still an excellent method of destroying 12 hrs in an otherwise productive day.

I like to initially expand my borders across the full width of a continent to discourage any other nation from building behind me. Did this yesterday and effectively controlled a quarter of the map with only 3 cities. Once they were firmly established, I sent out half a dozen settlers to claim the open expanse. Only needed a couple of ships to patrol the waters, allowing the new cities to forgo building an army and just focus on making money.

I was making so much money I became a bit loose with the gold. Didn't realise maintenance costs go up as you progress through the turns. Eventually i noticed (too late) I was losing 75 gold per turn and running out of cash!

4 hours ago, sk3since03 said:

One more turn then i'm coming off!

8 hours later....

love this game, i've been missing out big time not playing this series! 

Ha!
I started a game last night and played until much later than I planned! 

Had a real problem with barbarians - the bastards kept stealing my workers! Think I've wiped them all out now.

Some of the game mechanics and calculations still continue to confuse me, but am getting there!

10 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Ha!
I started a game last night and played until much later than I planned! 

Had a real problem with barbarians - the bastards kept stealing my workers! Think I've wiped them all out now.

Some of the game mechanics and calculations still continue to confuse me, but am getting there!

Been quite lucky on this one, managed somehow to get Belgrade to gift me a new military unit every 20 turns or so! So i just surround barbarians with free roaming soldiers ! 

Yeah same, bit overwhelming sometimes! Great game though i've found myself thinking what im going to do when i next play haha 

Archived